Very simple instructions requested to get ISY on Polisy

someguy

3 hours ago, telljcl said:

I actually did read - quite a bit - sir. I, however, cannot seem to get to the point where all the information that is discussed in the generously provided links actually works - apparently because I have no way of even installing "ISY" SW on my very old unit. Most of what I could find references units that behave differently from my unit with it's original FW.

However I'm very sorry if I have inconvenienced or offended you in any way.

You haven't offended me. Since you said you did read the links, i apologize for thinking that you havent. It just didn't seem like you had read the posts since the wiki states (one of the links posted) that the password is admin.

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You haven't offended me. Since you said you did read the links, i apologize for thinking that you havent. It just didn't seem like you had read the posts since the wiki states (one of the links posted) that the password is admin.

I'm not trying to waste anybody's time. Sometimes things don't work like they should, and they didn't for me (using the PW admin over and over...), and still aren't, but I'll take it up privately with support.

9 hours ago, telljcl said:

I'm not trying to waste anybody's time. Sometimes things don't work like they should, and they didn't for me (using the PW admin over and over...), and still aren't, but I'll take it up privately with support.

We are here to help you. With Polisy/Isy, its imperative that you tackle things with a plan of action which requires a lot of work on the back end prior to getting started. Reading the posts/wiki thoroughly instead of skimming through them to familiarize yourself as much as possible with things is of utmost importance.

Why? Because this is new for all of us. This isnt the 99/994 which has been around for a decade+ and we've had time to learn the ins and outs of it. While there are alot of similarities, this is still alpha software on a new system with new capabilities. By taking the time to learn everything that you can prior to starting and having all the information in front of you, you can go about things in a methodical way which increases your chance of success. Should things go wrong, those who came before you will be able to better assist, since you'll have a specific reference point to start from. 

This is why myself and others pushed for you to read and learn prior to doing anything. Yes its exciting to get up and running but that excitement can quickly sour if you dont take the time to properly prepare for things.

15 hours ago, kzboray said:

@telljcl Try this. locate the small pin hole on the front of the Polisy and press it once, then sit back and wait at least 20 minutes. Try logging in again. I have a hunch the update didn't finish, this process may allow the update to finish properly.

Just FYI, that won't work on original firmware/software until it's been updated past X.   I don't remember when X was but some version of udx,, in other words telljcl is trying to update from very old and it's probably too old until he gets some of the update scripts run.

I am the PC and Android tech help for my friends and family. I will write instructions down step by step and teach them how to do something. When they call me because they forgot a step, I've found that I get way further if I tell them what they have forgotten as opposed to "I wrote it down for you, go read your instructions." 

After I have reminded them of what they have forgotten, even if they have the instructions in their hand, they will typically be able to pick it up from there.. Sometimes people need a quick win, a little boost, a little human interaction.

1 hour ago, gregkinney said:

I am the PC and Android tech help for my friends and family. I will write instructions down step by step and teach them how to do something. When they call me because they forgot a step, I've found that I get way further if I tell them what they have forgotten as opposed to "I wrote it down for you, go read your instructions." 

After I have reminded them of what they have forgotten, even if they have the instructions in their hand, they will typically be able to pick it up from there.. Sometimes people need a quick win, a little boost, a little human interaction.

I have read your post three or four times now. Maybe it is my accent or your font, but I still don't understand what you mean exactly.....j/k :)

2 hours ago, gregkinney said:

I do the same thing (besides telling them to buy what I support so I know how it works. lol). Thats why its imperative that people take the time to read the resources in front of them instead of jumping in after skimming a few lines. It helps us help them when we all have a common experience to fall back on vs someone messing around and potentially hurting themselves more by doing the wrong things

On 3/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

I do the same thing (besides telling them to buy what I support so I know how it works. lol). Thats why its imperative that people take the time to read the resources in front of them instead of jumping in after skimming a few lines. It helps us help them when we all have a common experience to fall back on vs someone messing around and potentially hurting themselves more by doing the wrong things

Support ticket session verifies defective unit which must be replaced.

Difficult to read up enough to circumvent HW issues...

Alright gents, I know there are some disagreements. However, one thing I think we can all agree on is that this is now offically a waste of everyone's time.

@telljcl I did less reading than you but took no verbal abuse from anyone in this forum by submitting a ticket and working with UDI support who were happy to help. A suggestion - work with UDI support for technical assistance. Work the forums for everything else.

@lilyoyo1 If you're not willing to help, consider not commenting and let someone else who is willing to help.

10 minutes ago, gregkinney said:

Alright gents, I know there are some disagreements. However, one thing I think we can all agree on is that this is now offically a waste of everyone's time.

@telljcl I did less reading than you but took no verbal abuse from anyone in this forum by submitting a ticket and working with UDI support who were happy to help. A suggestion - work with UDI support for technical assistance. Work the forums for everything else.

@lilyoyo1 If you're not willing to help, consider not commenting and let someone else who is willing to help.

Actually i was willing to help and I did. If you look back at all the posts,l (which we know you won't) I left many comments and links trying to help. I didn't say anything until he asked about what password to use for ssh which was in one of the links that was left for him.

Still doesn't change what I said. Outside of bugs out hardware issues, if people took the time to educate themselves and prooerly prepare, many support issues could be eliminated

3 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Actually i was willing to help and I did. If you look back at all the posts,l (which we know you won't) I left many comments and links trying to help. I didn't say anything until he asked about what password to use for ssh which was in one of the links that was left for him

You are correct, I am not going to look back at the posts because they do not apply to this conversation. I'm not referring to times where you did help him. I don't care if you've helped him once, or 10,000 times. I'm talking about the one time you left a comment and didn't help him.

2 minutes ago, gregkinney said:

You are correct, I am not going to look back at the posts because they do not apply to this conversation. I'm not referring to times where you did help him. I don't care if you've helped him once, or 10,000 times. I'm talking about the one time you left a comment and didn't help him.

And yet here you are jumping into the fray as if that changes anything. You could've very easily not said anything... Yet you did and not once did you help him

37 minutes ago, gregkinney said:

Agree with you 100%, and your advice is solid as well. Thanks.

writing effective documentation is not a strength of most nerds - you need to put yourself in the position of your audience - and the audience here can be an experienced nerd or a casual user 

nerds generally skip steps - quite innocently - because its not easy to not know what you already know

(worked for rumsfeld)

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 9:57 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@someguy, I responded to your ticket. I think your Polisy OS is too old and does not have the packaged kernel (i.e. you cannot upgrade the OS with the button on the front). So, if you do know how to use ssh, you need to do two things:

curl -s https://pkg.isy.io/script/update121.sh | sudo bash
sudo shutdown -r now

Wait for the unit to reboot, then:

cat /usr/local/etc/udx.d/static/update13.sh | sudo bash
sudo shutdown -r now

This should do it.

With kind regards,
Michel

Good afternoon, 

I have a Polisy Pro purchased in June, 2019 (received December, 2019). I am following this guide, and I am stuck on this part to update. When I enter the first command after rebooting:

The response is: No such file or directory. 

My current release retrieved via "unam -a" is: FreeBSD polisy 12.2-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6 r369564 POLISY  amd64

I am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for any guidance.

Mark

1 hour ago, giomania said:

Good afternoon, 

I have a Polisy Pro purchased in June, 2019 (received December, 2019). I am following this guide, and I am stuck on this part to update. When I enter the first command after rebooting:

The response is: No such file or directory. 

My current release retrieved via "unam -a" is: FreeBSD polisy 12.2-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6 r369564 POLISY  amd64

I am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for any guidance.

Mark

Someone else had this problem too.  Open a ticket support@universal-devices.com  (they do answer on weekends but more slowly than weekdays)

Archived