Dual Band SwitchLinc Dimmer Switch beeps when manually controlled

ISY Newbie

in the admin console does Beep show zero?

image.png.9ced6893cb61d6b430aa788f6df95c08.png

Also after making a change to any of these dropdowns you must push the button to the LEFT of the drop-down (such as "Beep" to cause the change to be sent to the device.... (yea it's not intuitive to do that).

the second thing you can try is to to factory reset the device... Pull the air gap set button out, wait 30 seconds, press the set button all the way in an hold it in until the long beep STOPS.  (other switches may have different factory reset instructions when in doubt google up the insteon pdf for the device). 

After the factory reset go back to the switch in the admin console, right click it and pick "restore device" which will cause the ISY to re-write the options and links to the switch.

image.png.033bd980efe749cbc5dbda964d19124d.png

Yes it's from version 5,  I'm guessing you're running v4 then?  (you need to upgrade seriously... upgrade from v4 to v5.3.4 is fairly simple... they only real caveat is if you have programs that use "adjust scene", if so, each of those programs will require a manual fix.)

It's been a ;long time since i've seen a version 4 screen but if I recall there is a button near the bottom of the screen labels "options" that may have a beep setting. 

You can still try the factory reset followed by "restore device" that procedure didn't change.

5 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Yes it's from version 5,  I'm guessing you're running v4 then?  (you need to upgrade seriously... upgrade from v4 to v5.3.4 is fairly simple... they only real caveat is if you have programs that use "adjust scene", if so, each of those programs will require a manual fix.)

It's been a ;long time since i've seen a version 4 screen but if I recall there is a button near the bottom of the screen labels "options" that may have a beep setting. 

You can still try the factory reset followed by "restore device" that procedure didn't change.

Yes, there is "options" button at the bottom, but it doesn't reveal a "beep" setting for a dimmer switch.

I'll upgrade to v.5 and see if it makes a difference.

5 minutes ago, ISY Newbie said:

Yes, there is "options" button at the bottom, but it doesn't reveal a "beep" setting for a dimmer switch.

If follow Mrbill's advice and factory reset first. That's the quickest and easiest way to fix your issue...Once you have that done then you can upgrade should you choose

4 minutes ago, ISY Newbie said:

the only things not in the v5 upgrade instructions that I think should be:

1) in addition to a regular ISY backup before you start, Also make a text backup of your programs.  Open the programs tab and click the top folder usally name "My programs" right click and pick "copy folder to clipboard", then open any basic text editor, windows Notepad is a perfecft choice.  paste the clipboard and save the file.

2) After upgrade, the first place you should check when you get logged back into the admin console is "Help > About" to ensure you are running the firmware version you expect AND that the UI version matches.  If the UI version doesn't match, solve that problem before you do anything else.

3) next stop... Programs > Summary tab... look for the color YELLOW... if you have any you either ignored step 2 above and have mismatched firmware and UI... OR... the program had "adjust scene" in it and needs manual help.

19 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

If follow Mrbill's advice and factory reset first. That's the quickest and easiest way to fix your issue...Once you have that done then you can upgrade should you choose

Factory-resetting these dimmer switches is a real pain. You need fine-toothed tweezers to be able to pull out that set button. Even then, it requires fine motor skills. Really bad design from engineering viewpoint.

Is there an easier way?

Really bad design from engineering viewpoint.

Agreed. Thankfully it's not something that has to be done often. What's worse is through the years the same devices had different methods of being reset. So what might work for one might not work for the same type of device bought several years later. That's a wonderful pain to get into. 

Is there an easier way?

Nope...just have to buy different products to avoid the wacky design of a feature not often used. 

28 minutes ago, ISY Newbie said:

Factory-resetting these dimmer switches is a real pain. You need fine-toothed tweezers to be able to pull out that set button. Even then, it requires fine motor skills. Really bad design from engineering viewpoint.

Is there an easier way?

they're easier to get ahold of with the plate off. 

My number 1 complaint is the instructions differ per device.....  constantly need to look up the instructions except for 2477d which I know off the top of my head.

45 minutes ago, ISY Newbie said:

Is there an easier way?

Take your face plate off and use a butter knife or small flat head screwdriver. It's really not that hard. 

They purposely made it hard to prevent accidently resets. It's not something one should have to do on the regular basis where it's made easier

11 minutes ago, MrBill said:

they're easier to get ahold of with the plate off. 

My number 1 complaint is the instructions differ per device.....  constantly need to look up the instructions except for 2477d which I know off the top of my head.

It's the same for the most part across the line. Cut power (pulling out the set button cuts power) then apply power while holding the set button in. The length of time varies based on age of device but has been consistent since 2013

Archived