Need help updating to 5.3.4 (on macOS)

Hello All,

I could really use some help to update my ISY so I can use my new Polisy. I'm lost in the weeds. This is what I have tried:

Hardware: Mac OS Monterey Version 12.1

Process:

1. Downloaded firmware 5

Opened Administrative Console (ISY994i (4.9.0)

Selected "Help"

Selected "Manually Update"

Went to the Folder that was downloaded and looked for a file that was able to be opened. Found Insteon.img. Tried to open that and received an error message: Update Failed :java.util.ZipException: error opening zip file

I guess I went off the tracks somewhere.

5 hours ago, Bob Amott said:

Hello All,

I could really use some help to update my ISY so I can use my new Polisy. I'm lost in the weeds. This is what I have tried:

Hardware: Mac OS Monterey Version 12.1

Process:

1. Downloaded firmware 5

Opened Administrative Console (ISY994i (4.9.0)

Selected "Help"

Selected "Manually Update"

Went to the Folder that was downloaded and looked for a file that was able to be opened. Found Insteon.img. Tried to open that and received an error message: Update Failed :java.util.ZipException: error opening zip file

I guess I went off the tracks somewhere.

Upload the file as it was downloaded, don't open it first.

@Bob Amott welcome to the forums. Sorry you're having difficulty. Sadly, I do not use macOS so can't help very much other than try to point you in some generic directions. Do you happen to have a Windows computer you could try this on? There have been some mac users that sail through without issues and others that something in the system just blocks everything they try. 

But for starters make sure you check out the wiki for Mac user troubleshooting:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#MAC_OSX

and here:   https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#MAC_Users

Are you going to continue to use the 994i or are you attempting to setup ISY on Polisy (IoP)? Indeed if you're going to migrate to IoP then you will need to update the 994i to 5.3.4 before you can then attempt to migrate to IoP. 

The firmware for the 994i is looking for a .zip file. I'm not sure if the macOS is saving the .zip file to what you're saying is .img file type, but this is the first issue. The file downloaded should remain a .zip (compressed) file. Do not unzip/decompress it. 

Finally, and as much as I hate to say this...probably best to open a ticket and get Universal Support to walk you through specific steps for macOS for full upgrade. Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x is very complicated and if something isn't right there's a lot that can go wrong trying to help through forum posts. So hopefully support is better able to handle live help and support on macOS.

Thanks for the feedback Geddy. 

The great hint you provided was that the update file needs to remain zipped. I did not realize that my OS system was unzipping zipped files automatically. I discovered how to download files and keep them zipped on my computer. Now that issue is beyond me I will attempt to setup ISY on Polisy.

Thanks for the Mac Links

Thank You Mister Bill.

Great Hint.

For Mac Folks-- I did not know that my System was Unzipping the files automatically. To not allow unzipping files do the following:

If you would rather Safari just download the .zip file and leave if for you to decide what to do:

1. Open Safari 
  2. Click Preferences (Safari Preferences - Not System Preferences)
  3. Under the General tab, uncheck the option Open “safe” files after downloading

Archived