LONG Serial Cable for PLM- Works great

macjeff

I am currently using this with my PLM.

You need this adapter from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCPVLBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and up to a 50 foot ethernet cable.  I am running with 50 foot now.    They say it will work with 100 foot but Michel said he would stick with 50.

** Very Important-  You MUST use both adapters with an ethernet cord in the middle.  I hooked it up to the original cable that cable that came with the PLM but you CANT plug one end of the 50 foot cable into the PLM.  If you dont have the original cable I am sure there is an adapter out there.

36 minutes ago, macjeff said:

I am currently using this with my PLM.

You need this adapter from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCPVLBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and up to a 50 foot ethernet cable.  I am running with 50 foot now.    They say it will work with 100 foot but Michel said he would stick with 50.

** Very Important-  You MUST use both adapters with an ethernet cord in the middle.  I hooked it up to the original cable that cable that came with the PLM but you CANT plug one end of the 50 foot cable into the PLM.  If you dont have the original cable I am sure there is an adapter out there.

Good find. Cheap way for someone to get a new cable as well if they don't have their original one

10 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Good find. Cheap way for someone to get a new cable as well if they don't have their original one

Actually not because the PLM needs the RJ-45 into it.   YOU CANT plug the RJ-45 into the PLM   These 2 cables are a set.  They need to be used together as the pinout is not the same as the PLM uses. This is just a passthough.  So you end up with a serial cable connector that DOES connect into the original PLM cable.  

If someone has a link for the original PLM cable or even a short one that does Serial to RJ 45 with the correct pinout for the PLM please post here.

I did try using only one of the two adapters and they dont work unless you use them as a pair.  The big thing is it allows you for a VERY long cable.  My ISY is not in another room than my PLM.  My PLM works better for communication in the room its in.

5 minutes ago, macjeff said:

Actually not because the PLM needs the RJ-45 into it.   YOU CANT plug the RJ-45 into the PLM   These 2 cables are a set.  They need to be used together as the pinout is not the same as the PLM uses. This is just a passthough.  So you end up with a serial cable connector that DOES connect into the original PLM cable.  

If someone has a link for the original PLM cable or even a short one that does Serial to RJ 45 with the correct pinout for the PLM please post here.

I did try using only one of the two adapters and they dont work unless you use them as a pair.  The big thing is it allows you for a VERY long cable.  My ISY is not in another room than my PLM.  My PLM works better for communication in the room its in.

That sucks. Still a good find anyway

6 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

Not to be that guy, but isn't it WAY easier to run an ethernet drop and move your ISY/Polisy to the location of your PLM than it would be to make some special cable and hope that it works (and doesn't void some kind of warranty).

1666918527_ISYPic.jpg.a6086614d87dc0187772ac961b872bc0.jpg

Not in my house.  I have an ethernet drop in every room including the one with the breaker boxes.  I have moved PLM to every room and the best room is where I have it now.  Isssue is lots of metal in that room so Z-Wave does not get through.  So I have to move my ISY out of the room and the PLM stays there.

The pinouts for 2413S PLM are in the PLM manual. It has been posted about elsewhere how to make a cable, but here is a screenshot of it here...

image.thumb.png.8800a737510aac8e56a9bb2e12347e19.png

I had thrown out my cable (probably accidentally) like most others did. When I moved to Polisy, I made my own PLM cable for 2313S out of a blue cisco console cable. I just cut off old end, crimped on a new RJ45 end with the correct wiring - only pins 1, 7, and 8 are used. If you don't have a crimper, just cut the cable in middle and re-connect the wires accordingly and test with a multi-meter.

Archived