PLM #2413s

Are there any replacement or substitution for the Smarthome PLM #2413S?

Been using a home automation system since I first got a basic X-10 system back in August of 1983.

Today, running my house on a Universal IYS-994i with a dozen Insteon Smarthome switches & modules. 

It has worked for over a decade, other then having to replace the PowerLinc serial controller #2413S back in Jan. 2016. 

November of last year, the PLM failed again. But this  unit appears to have been out of stock since June/July of last year. 

And Smarthome says they have no idea if or when they will be available again. And they can’t even be bothered to keep an e-mail list of those of us who need one, for if/when they are once again, available. 

Their suggestion, just keep checking the web site to see when the are back in stock?

So in the mean time, I don’t have a working automation system. Really don’t want to have to start over by replacing everything. 

Any suggestion as to any work arounds or if I have to, replacement of individual parts or a new system. 

Not keen on having to replace everything and start over, learning a new system, but it’s looking like that maybe my only option. 

Thanks,

@Wally, Welcome to the forums.

Yes, it's a shame that these are out of stock. It's been hit and miss (more often miss) the last couple of years for PLM access. 

The only options I could suggest are a couple of links that @MrBill has posted in the past:

Repair service for non-working PLM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325125388330

Seems this person has experience repairing some PLM models and has the parts to attempt the repair. If you're not up to repairing it yourself this might be a good option to try. Not sure if anybody on the forums have used this process, but it's been mentioned around.

Cap replacement kit for PLM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174552309995

If you've got the skills to replace electronic components then perhaps you could buy a cap kit and attempt the repairs yourself. There are posts on here explaining the steps. I think @Brian H has posted about the process of repairs.

Finally, there was recently a post to this project with some detailed assistance to repairing the PLM should you attempt to do it yourself. 

Good luck getting your PLM up and running again. Of course, you can also keep an eye on ebay for old PLMs, but they're going to set you back a little more these days because, if they work, they're almost like gold. 

Final comment - Universal Devices has a new device called the Polisy. It can handle any type of PLM (for Insteon communication) - Serial, USB, and USB Stick. The Polisy runs ISY and can also handle z-wave (with a USB z-wave controller) and node servers that control different types of systems. So while there are some options to consider if you want to replace the Insteon switches you have, but keep the abilities you have with the ISY look into the Polisy as a future controller upgrade. 

I ordered some capacitor kits from eBay. The seller, @Schlyguy, is on these forums, very responsive and ships fast. He also includes a blob of rosin flux which helps with the soldering/desoldering. I'm about to perform my first capacitor transplant on a failed 2443 Access Point.

At recent sales prices of serial PLMs on eBay, you could get a new Polisy from Universal Devices and get the USB Insteon Dongle (also from eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353621496562). The seller of the dongle accepts offers lower than asking price if you try. The dongle works better with a dual-band device nearby for better signal transmission.

I bought my Polisy (my first UDI product) along with a discounted Zooz Z-wave USB dongle.

If you're going to run a dual USB setup with the Polisy, I recommend at least one USB extension cable or port extender because the two dongles are a little too thick to plug in one above the other.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, bhihifi said:

At recent sales prices of serial PLMs on eBay, you could get a new Polisy from Universal Devices and get the USB Insteon Dongle (also from eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353621496562). The seller of the dongle accepts offers lower than asking price if you try. The dongle works better with a dual-band device nearby for better signal transmission.

Will that setup work with existing Insteon switches?  I'm up for getting a new Polisy and USB Insteon Dongle if I can get out of the 2413s debacle.  

1 hour ago, kevincol said:

Will that setup work with existing Insteon switches?  I'm up for getting a new Polisy and USB Insteon Dongle if I can get out of the 2413s debacle.  

Yes, the Polisy will accept all PLM models (see mentioned in the WIKI). The issue is that you need to have the Polisy and USB dongle near a dual-band device to try to improve performance to the rest of the system. Since it isn't a direct powerline setup like the prior Serial or USB PLM. 

I've never used one, but there are comments elsewhere in the forums about using them and the reliance and/or trials with them. The key is communication is not as steady as a powerline PLM, but it is still reliable and viable as an option. 

26 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Yes, the Polisy will accept all PLM models (see mentioned in the WIKI). The issue is that you need to have the Polisy and USB dongle near a dual-band device to try to improve performance to the rest of the system. Since it isn't a direct powerline setup like the prior Serial or USB PLM. 

I've never used one, but there are comments elsewhere in the forums about using them and the reliance and/or trials with them. The key is communication is not as steady as a powerline PLM, but it is still reliable and viable as an option. 

Thanks, I do have two 2413u's that are brand new.  The wiki seems to state that they will work also and I won't have the issues that you list with the USB dongle.  I figure it is going to be better to upgrade to the Polisy and use the 2413U's vs. the out of stock 2413s'.  

@kevincol Why not keep using the PLM you're currently using with the ISY994? I'd use what you have currently working until it doesn't work. Then use something that's still "new in box" if/when needed. I wouldn't stop using a working PLM at this point of the game. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, Geddy said:

@kevincol Why not keep using the PLM you're currently using with the ISY994? I'd use what you have currently working until it doesn't work. Then use something that's still "new in box" if/when needed. I wouldn't stop using a working PLM at this point of the game. 

Hi, I was having issues where the commands were not always being sent to the Insteon units.  When I looked at the ISY logs and went over them with an installer in the area, he said that he though my PLM was going bad and recommended I buy two new ones for backup and to swap one out to disprove his hypothesis about the PLM.  

I mistaken bought two of the USB PLM's earlier in the year and when I went to swap the serial one out, I discovered I had this issue.  I just bought a Polisy, which will work with both serial and USB, so I will be able to validate if the PLM's are the issues that I am seeing.  

16 hours ago, kevincol said:

Hi, I was having issues where the commands were not always being sent to the Insteon units.  When I looked at the ISY logs and went over them with an installer in the area, he said that he though my PLM was going bad and recommended I buy two new ones for backup and to swap one out to disprove his hypothesis about the PLM.  

I mistaken bought two of the USB PLM's earlier in the year and when I went to swap the serial one out, I discovered I had this issue.  I just bought a Polisy, which will work with both serial and USB, so I will be able to validate if the PLM's are the issues that I am seeing. 

I doubt you have a PLM going bad that's also been limping along for a long period of time.  I suspect the real issue is an old fashioned insteon communication issue... noise and/or signal suckers.    How old and how large is your network of insteon devices?  in other words are they single band? dual band?   Older/smaller installations with primarily single band devices are much more prone to problems than newer/larger installations with primarily dual band devices.

I have an older larger installation (~50 switches), but I would say close to 100% of the Insteon switches have failed and thus almost everything is dualband Insteon switches.  The installation started back in 2008 and has just increased since then.  however, the dual bands are well spread out through the house.  

Archived