ELK Node Names

Jimbo.Automates

To All ELK Node Server Users,

PG3 now has the ability to rename nodes when running the latest ISY On Polisy.  So my question is should it always rename ISY nodes to match the what is on the ELK, or should it be an option in the PG3 UI which defaults to off and user can turn it on?  Or it could also be a command on the Controller node that you could execute from the Admin Console.

Personally I always want the node names to match and what is on the ELK is my source, but others may like to rename them in the ISY and keep them?   I really wish the ELK API would allow me to grab the Spoken name since that is almost always a longer more meaningful name.

Elk has naming restrictions and only organizes them by zone number.  ISY organizes alphabetically and doesn't really have naming restrictions.  So after I uploaded Elk into ISY, I renamed things with longer names and names that would alphabetize logically.  

In short, I would not want the node server to rewrite my changes back to what is on Elk.  Of course I would have no objection to it having that as an option that I could turn off.

26 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Elk has naming restrictions and only organizes them by zone number.  ISY organizes alphabetically and doesn't really have naming restrictions.  So after I uploaded Elk into ISY, I renamed things with longer names and names that would alphabetize logically.  

In short, I would not want the node server to rewrite my changes back to what is on Elk.  Of course I would have no objection to it having that as an option that I could turn off.

I assumed people would be doing that, so I'll make it an option and default to off.

Archived