Move from PG2 to PG3

btreinders

Yes, if you use the same slot, the nodes will drop back in to programs and stuff as they were in PG2.  You must delete the node in PG2 first, then create the node in PG3 using the same slot.  If you restore from a PG2 backup into PG3, then it will bring over your node settings.  I believe the best way to do this is.

1) Make a backup of PG2.

2) Delete from PG2 all of the nodes that are either free or you paid for in PG3

3) Restore the PG2 backup into PG3 (there is a button for that).

PG3 will install from the backup nodes that are eligible based on payment or lack of need to pay.  So any nodes that are free in PG3 that you have in your PG2 install, must be moved over using this technique.  Otherwise, you will end up having the same free nodes both on PG2 and PG3 and then it is screwy.  

16 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Yes, if you use the same slot, the nodes will drop back in to programs and stuff as they were in PG2.  You must delete the node in PG2 first, then create the node in PG3 using the same slot.  If you restore from a PG2 backup into PG3, then it will bring over your node settings.  I believe the best way to do this is.

1) Make a backup of PG2.

2) Delete from PG2 all of the nodes that are either free or you paid for in PG3

3) Restore the PG2 backup into PG3 (there is a button for that).

PG3 will install from the backup nodes that are eligible based on payment or lack of need to pay.  So any nodes that are free in PG3 that you have in your PG2 install, must be moved over using this technique.  Otherwise, you will end up having the same free nodes both on PG2 and PG3 and then it is screwy.  

@apostolakislThank you for the quick response!  I already have node servers in PG3 set up that are not in PG2, will the restore from PG2 overwrite those?  

It is slot dependent.  So if there is a PG2 node server in slot that you are allowed to install and you have a different node server in PG3 slot 2.  The restore will overwrite the existing node server in PG3.

However, if there isn't any slot "overlap" between what's in the PG2 backup and what's currently installed on PG3, then none of the existing PG3 node servers would be effected.

2 hours ago, bpwwer said:

It is slot dependent.  So if there is a PG2 node server in slot that you are allowed to install and you have a different node server in PG3 slot 2.  The restore will overwrite the existing node server in PG3.

However, if there isn't any slot "overlap" between what's in the PG2 backup and what's currently installed on PG3, then none of the existing PG3 node servers would be effected.

I guess I didn't think you could have two node servers in the same slot, one PG2 and one PG3.  Is that what you mean?  Here is my dashboard from PG3.  And below that is PG2.  Will I have an issue?

image.thumb.png.394a3eed7d60087f1ead7d16963f9d7f.pngimage.thumb.png.d23879f0a1f98aee1fc798606c87c886.png

In general you can't. But since the migration process is not great, it's not impossible to end up in that situration.

You should be fine restoring from a PG2 backup.  Just make sure you either delete the node servers from PG2 before doing the restore.  The PG3  restore from PG2 backup can't clean up what's on PG2 after the restore.

55 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

In general you can't. But since the migration process is not great, it's not impossible to end up in that situration.

You should be fine restoring from a PG2 backup.  Just make sure you either delete the node servers from PG2 before doing the restore.  The PG3  restore from PG2 backup can't clean up what's on PG2 after the restore.

@bpwwer  Sorry, one last question I hope.  What about node servers I am not ready to go to PG3 with?  Can I restore but leave the PG2 there and just delete the PG3 one?  Or will it just not restore that slot?

No, the restore is kind of an all or nothing.  As part of the restore, it changes the configuration on the ISY to point back to the PG3 version.  If you then delete the PG3 version, it will delete the node server from both PG3 and the ISY.  The PG2 version will no longer work.  

Possibly you could then delete the PG2 version and re-install the PG2 .

If you just want to partially move to PG3, I'd recommend not trying to use the restore from PG2 backup and just delete the node server from PG2, install the PG3 version in the same slot, re-configure and fix anything that broke.  That's the cleanest way and you can concentrate on making sure each one works correctly before moving on to the next.

I did not use the restore since there are still some that are not available in PG3 yet.  I deleted the one in PG2 and installed the one in PG3 in the same slot.  The only things I had to redo were scenes and moving the actual devices to the correct folders.  Thanks again for all the help!  Maybe in the future there will be a per slot restore?

26 minutes ago, btreinders said:

I did not use the restore since there are still some that are not available in PG3 yet.  I deleted the one in PG2 and installed the one in PG3 in the same slot.  The only things I had to redo were scenes and moving the actual devices to the correct folders.  Thanks again for all the help!  Maybe in the future there will be a per slot restore?

You're welcome.

There actually is an issue entered to restore individual node servers from PG2. Right now, resources to work PG3 features is limited.  A feature like that is a convenience for the initial migration and will likely never be used after that.  So it's hard to justify spending resources on something like that.

I've been following this with interest.  There are many references to deleting an individual PG2 Node Sever and I'm wondering what is the preferred method for doing this?  There is a Delete function in both PG2 and in the AC.  Which one do I use?  Does it matter?  Maybe they both function the same?

You'd want to do it from PG2.  The PG2 delete will delete the configuration in PG2 and delete the configuration and nodes on the ISY.

The delete on the AC will only delete the configuration from the ISY.

7 hours ago, btreinders said:

Programs were not working either so I had to just hit update on one of the lines in each program that used the device and then save them or the device would not work.  Just adding this so someone else doesn't have to find out the hard way by saving a ton programs.

8 minutes ago, btreinders said:

Programs were not working either so I had to just hit update on one of the lines in each program that used the device and then save them or the device would not work.  Just adding this so someone else doesn't have to find out the hard way by saving a ton programs.

I have never had a PG2 node that was used in a scene.  Always just programs.  I assumed that when you deleted a PG2 node server that it would kill any scene associations, so you have confirmed that.  Really need to figure a way to migrate to PG3 without having to do any reconfiguring.

Archived