eisy | home packaging ...

Sorry, joining this discussion very late. I am confused as I thought Polisy was the future. So what is the purpose of EISY? Why would one chose one over the other?

(apologies if this has been answered already and I didn't see it when I scanned through this thread)

39 minutes ago, ErikN said:

Sorry, joining this discussion very late. I am confused as I thought Polisy was the future. So what is the purpose of EISY? Why would one chose one over the other?

(apologies if this has been answered already and I didn't see it when I scanned through this thread)

Been answered several times actually.  Polisy is out of stock, some of the components have long lead times and/or must be changed.  Polisy will likely never been in stock again.  eisy (all lowercase for whatever reason) replaces Polisy in the product line.   It's similar to Polisy but has improvements.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrBill said:

Been answered several times actually.  Polisy is out of stock, some of the components have long lead times and/or must be changed.  Polisy will likely never been in stock again.  eisy (all lowercase for whatever reason) replaces Polisy in the product line.   It's similar to Polisy but has improvements.

Idk about several times. And the reasoning really hasn't been said why UD is moving away from Polisy to EISY. 

2 hours ago, ErikN said:

From what I can gather from this post and some other obscure ones is. Those that own Polisy will be fine for the foreseeable future. EISY is replacing Polisy. UD doesn't do a fantastic job of letting people know what the "future" of UD is and if you ask you get answers like they've never done that or why are you asking, you sound bitter. But. Just know. Sometime somewhere somehow for right now EISY is the next product. Preorders sometime ... well ... Sometime. (last was now late Nov for preorder) 

The Polisy most likely won't be restocked and is being replaced by the eisy.

The eisy has advanced hardware when compared to the ISY and Polisy and will run the same ISY programs and devices in addition to being able to support future devices.

Edited by Techman

For the record, I am NOT bitter at all and I can see how not wanting to say much about future plans helps to avoid people being upset if those plans don't work out. I love the ISY platform and believe Polisy was move in right direction to provide support for other protocols and broader devices. I find some of the implementation slightly confusing but I think that's just 'cause it's relatively new to me. Was just surprised because it was not that long ago that I migrated from ISY994 to Polisy but I can understand if there were challenges getting stock for the platform (too bad since it looks really nice). I have no concerns as long as Polisy platform will continue to be well supported and I don't have to move to yet another platform in the short term (or medium term for that matter, since return on investment is a  consideration). I'll have to read more to understand what specific improvements it will have over Polisy -- see how much FOMO may set in :-) 

@ErikN

Here are the specs for the soon to be released eisy. The Polisy was released 3 years ago, since then there has been advancement in hardware technology which the eisy is taking advantage of.

If you're happy with your current system then there's no need to upgrade unless, like some of us, you want the latest and greatest.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you Techman. I was a little slow to migrate to Polisy (which I did earlier this year) because for a while I didn't really understand what it was all about in comparison to ISY, and I also didn't want to jump on the bleeding edge right away either. That said I do tend to like to have latest(ish) and greatest(ish) when it makes sense so I am interesting in learning more about eisy and will probably jump on board at some point.

20 hours ago, doubleshot said:

Idk about several times. And the reasoning really hasn't been said why UD is moving away from Polisy to EISY. 

Yes Several times, I know this because I've typed it several times.  And yes it's been explained that parts for Polisy are no longer available or have long lead times.  Polisy has been out of stock since May.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone, apologies for the radio silence. We were waiting for the 2nd set of samples because the first ones didn't work. So, the second set arrived, all tested OK, and the first shipment is to arrive by 12/20. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.
1. QR Code allows you to setup WiFi from your UD Mobile
2. In case you feel like connecting your eisy to an HDMI monitor (or 2) 

With kind regards,

Michel
MichelIMG_20221108_134511608.jpgIMG_20221108_134502499.jpg

IMG_20221114_112700588.jpg

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello everyone, apologies for the radio silence. We were waiting for the 2nd set of samples because the first ones didn't work. So, the second set arrived, all tested OK, and the first shipment is to arrive by 12/20. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Awesome, device looks nice and sleek for sure. Looks like with PLMs coming around hopefully Q12023 from Insteon and EISY shipping maybe by EOY will be a nice timing of everything.

Interesting you're going with HDMI outputs and actually including a GUI. Is UD considering updating the web interface dashboards to go along with the possibility of HDMI outputs for connected dashboard screens? 

On 11/13/2022 at 6:03 PM, ErikN said:

...Was just surprised because it was not that long ago that I migrated from ISY994 to Polisy but I can understand if there were challenges getting stock for the platform (too bad since it looks really nice). I have no concerns as long as Polisy platform will continue to be well supported and I don't have to move to yet another platform in the short term (or medium term for that matter, since return on investment is a  consideration). I'll have to read more to understand what specific improvements it will have over Polisy -- see how much FOMO may set in :-) 

@ErikN, and others who feel like there has been a shortage of news on UD strategy and direction: You are not alone. There has not been a lot of information explaining the UD strategy, and most of what has been available has been in the Coffee Shop area, and not consolidated in the News and Announcements section, where one might reasonably expect to find such things. I am a UD supporter, and have been frustrated that one has to dig around so hard to find out what the strategy and direction is. I'll repeat some key pieces of info that I have found, some of which have been mentioned already in this thread:

* There have been supply chain issues in obtaining all of the parts needed for Polisy. It is being replaced by Eisy, but Polisy will be supported by UD through at least 2026. 

* The new ZMatter board (which is now shipping next week) will plug into the PCI slot inside the Polisy. This board will provide enhanced ZWave functionality now, and will support Matter (which uses Zigbee radio) in the future. The ZMatter board may also be migrated to the eisy (when available) via use of a small enclosure that provides a USB connection for eisy.

* There will be a backup utility provided that will allow the Zooz zst10 700 zwave dongle to be backed up, and that backup restored to the ZMatter board. This will allow migration without requiring rebuilding an existing zwave network. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wmcneil said:

@ErikN, and others who feel like there has been a shortage of news on UD strategy and direction: You are not alone. There has not been a lot of information explaining the UD strategy, and most of what has been available has been in the Coffee Shop area, and not consolidated in the News and Announcements section, where one might reasonably expect to find such things. I am a UD supporter, and have been frustrated that one has to dig around so hard to find out what the strategy and direction is. I'll repeat some key pieces of info that I have found, some of which have been mentioned already in this thread:

* There have been supply chain issues in obtaining all of the parts needed for Polisy. It is being replaced by Eisy, but Polisy will be supported by UD through at least 2026. 

* The new ZMatter board (which is now shipping next week) will plug into the PCI slot inside the Polisy. This board will provide enhanced ZWave functionality now, and will support Matter (which uses Zigbee radio) in the future. The ZMatter board may also be migrated to the eisy (when available) via use of a small enclosure that provides a USB connection for eisy.

* There will be a backup utility provided that will allow the Zooz zst10 700 zwave dongle to be backed up, and that backup restored to the ZMatter board. This will allow migration without requiring rebuilding an existing zwave network. 

Your description of UD's upcoming news is well explained and helpful, but I don't understand why you are writing that there is a shortage of news on UD strategy and direction. Michel has been posting continuously and has been pretty clear. Few other companies have been this open and clear. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, asbril said:

Your description of UD's upcoming news is well explained and helpful, but I don't understand why you are writing that there is a shortage of news on UD strategy and direction. Michel has been posting continuously and has been pretty clear. Few other companies have been this open and clear. 

My point is not that there is no information, rather it is that it is harder to come by than it could otherwise be. This is the point that others have made, and that I am making. If upcoming strategy and direction was clearly laid out in one place (News and Announcements, for example), then that would be very helpful to the folks who may not always have the time to dig things out of multiple places. When the advocates and supporters of an endeavor feel like they have to work overtime just to find out what is going on, then that concern should be addressed. 

20 minutes ago, asbril said:

I don't understand it either. Most companies do not post their plans or strategy. Most things are assumed (such as with phones and TV's). Other "leaks" comes from reporters following FCC filings and insider leaks.... unfortunately UDI isn't big enough for that. 

UDI chooses to engage with their community on their forum which is where they drop their plans and upcoming devices. Those who choose not to frequent the forums will miss things while those who do; get the benefit of those sneak peaks. 

Things become all over the place because other people will create new posts all over the place with questions about what they've heard/read at which point UDI responds. 

News and announcements" are generally reserved for things one they become official. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, asbril said:

I don't understand it either. Most companies do not post their plans or strategy. Most things are assumed (such as with phones and TV's). Other "leaks" comes from reporters following FCC filings and insider leaks.... unfortunately UDI isn't big enough for that. 

UDI chooses to engage with their community on their forum which is where they drop their plans and upcoming devices. Those who choose not to frequent the forums will miss things while those who do; get the benefit of those sneak peaks. 

Things become all over the place because other people will create new posts all over the place with questions about what they've heard/read at which point UDI responds. 

News and announcements" are generally reserved for things one they become official. 

On 11/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, dzenc said:

Thanks.  Do you know the pricing yet?

$1B. 😉

$290.00 with some upgrade discounts:
$36 for ISY994 (has to be returned)
$90 for Polisy (has to be returned)

With regard to lack of information, news, unorganized thoughts, website, etc. I take the blame and I agree with the sentiments. I wish I could say that we'd be better in the future, but if history is any indication, we seem to always choose to ignore everything else and just play with our gadgets and toys. We do desperately need an overhaul of our website, branding, and marketing. So, if there's anyone out there who's an expert in these realms and would like to volunteer to help us, please contact me.

With regard to our strategy:

1. Expanding the node server ecosystem is our #1 goal.
2. Making UD Mobile the main method of communicating and configuring everything. Simplified commissioning, node server configuration, and program templates
3. Power. The platform should stay powerful and not restricting. What do we do with the HDMI outputs? We do have a couple of ideas. The whole point is that we are not restricted and limited by lack of functionality 

With kind regards,

Michel

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

$1B. 😉

$290.00 with some upgrade discounts:
$36 for ISY994 (has to be returned)
$90 for Polisy (has to be returned)

With regard to lack of information, news, unorganized thoughts, website, etc. I take the blame and I agree with the sentiments. I wish I could say that we'd be better in the future, but if history is any indication, we seem to always choose to ignore everything else and just play with our gadgets and toys. We do desperately need an overhaul of our website, branding, and marketing. So, if there's anyone out there who's an expert in these realms and would like to volunteer to help us, please contact me.

With regard to our strategy:

1. Expanding the node server ecosystem is our #1 goal.
2. Making UD Mobile the main method of communicating and configuring everything. Simplified commissioning, node server configuration, and program templates
3. Power. The platform should stay powerful and not restricting. What do we do with the HDMI outputs? We do have a couple of ideas. The whole point is that we are not restricted and limited by lack of functionality 

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, I don't how many eisy's you will have in the first batch, but (if you had any doubt)  I want one 🙂🙂.  easy speezy !

• Like 2