Russound NS - MCA series?

GQuack
Go to solution Solved by bpwwer,

On 8/31/2022 at 10:54 PM, GQuack said:

Hi @dbwarner5, pretty sure you said you have your Russound MCA-88 node server working. What node server are you running?

As mentioned above, I am using the RussoundRio on PG2. Works great.. occasionally though for some reason it will cause the MCA to lock up and I have to reboot it. Not sure why. Very infrequent, but worth mentioning. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, dbwarner5 said:

As mentioned above, I am using the RussoundRio on PG2. Works great.. occasionally though for some reason it will cause the MCA to lock up and I have to reboot it. Not sure why. Very infrequent, but worth mentioning. 

@bpwwer FYI.. happened again yesterday. Russound becomes unavailable even directly through their app. Need to unplug and reboot and all is fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 7:35 PM, dbwarner5 said:

@bpwwer FYI.. happened again yesterday. Russound becomes unavailable even directly through their app. Need to unplug and reboot and all is fine. 

Hi Bob, I know you continue to be swamped with all the current release issues. Just Fyi, my russound MCA-88 continues to crash / lock up about once every 3-4 weeks. Am not sure if it's the NS or something else. I have attached my log fyi. It looks like all was fine at 3am when the system query ran, but then I have the following program that runs at 4am, and it looks like the Russound went down. Not sure which event caused it, if either. 

FYI for when you get around to converting the NS from PG2 to PG3. Thanks! Doug

Rus Reset all to A - [ID 02ED][Parent 02EC]

If
        Time is  4:05:00AM

Then
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Bedroom Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Bedroom Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Deck Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Deck Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Game Room Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Game Room Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Garage Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Garage Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Kitchen Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Kitchen Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Laundry Room Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Laundry Room Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Screened Porch Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Screened Porch Sound' Zone Off
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Sunroom Sound' Source Source 1
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'RussoundRIO / Sunroom Sound' Zone Off

RussoundRIO_logs_2-21-2023_105846_AM.zip

RussoundRIO_2-21-2023_114606_AM.txt

Edited by dbwarner5
  • 4 months later...

@bpwwer Hi bob, any update on your timing to complete the PGX version of the RussoundRIO NS? 

Now that PG2 is gone, my house isnt the same without this interface. I do have a laborious work around using Alexa, Russound Skill and variables that can work, its not reliable and I undid it all when the PG2 NS was working.

So am trying to evaluate your time frame vs my time / effort to recreate the Alexa linkage. Would be willing to pay an initial "developers" fee to help if needed!!  cheers. 

• Like 1

I just finished up the changes to the WeatherFlow node server and I need to test and release that.  Adding RIO support to the Russound node server is what I'll work on next, but I don't really know how much effort it is to take the RIO support from the PG2 node server and incorporate it into the PG3 Russound node server so it's hard to estimate the time.  I want to say a couple of weeks, but that's not guaranteed. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

First test version with RIO support in the non-production (beta) store.  Version 2.0.5

This is only available as a trial since I expect it to have problems/issues as my testing is only with a simple RIO simulator.  Please test and document the issues you find.

• Like 1

I installed the Russound NS 2.0.5 from the non production store. I selected RIO and port 9621. The 6 zones for the first controller was loaded but the second controller was not. They are  connected together with the required patch cords. This was the setup for the PG2 version.

I noticed that I was not getting any status returns such as Source number and volume db. After a few minutes I was unable to select a source. This is the log when selecting a source.

2023-08-03 20:49:23,120 MQTT udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_message: QUEUING incoming message shortPoll

2023-08-03 20:49:23,120 Command udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_parseInput: DEQUEING shortPoll

2023-08-03 20:49:31,557 MQTT udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_message: QUEUING incoming message command

2023-08-03 20:49:31,557 Command udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_parseInput: DEQUEING command

2023-08-03 20:49:31,557 Command udi_interface DEBUG zone:process_cmd: ISY sent: {'address': 'zone_3', 'cmd': 'SOURCE', 'value': '2', 'uom': '25', 'query': {}}

2023-08-03 20:49:31,557 Command udi_interface DEBUG russound_main:Send: RIO: Sending b'EVENT C[1].Z[3]!KeyRelease SelectSource 2\r\n'

I included the log from startup.

Thanks Gary

New Text Document (3).txt

Edited by garybixler

Thanks @garybixler!  

I'll have to look into the issue with the second controller.  This node server was designed to support multiple-controllers but it doesn't recognize that they are linked so you have to add each one individually in the config.  At least that's how it works for RNET based controllers.

I'm looking through the log now and it looks like you clicked the "Add Controller" button for a second controller, but didn't configure a second controller.  The log shows

Processing controller {'port': 5000, 'nwprotocol': 'TCP', 'protocol': 'RNET'}

Which fails.  I don't think this is causing any other issues, but you probably should fix the configuration.

The next thing I see is that your controller is reporting it's type as MCA-C5.   I don't see that listed in the Russound RIO documentation, it only mentions MCA-66, MCA-88, and MCA-C6.  The node server assumes that since it's not a MCA-88 that it's a 6 zone, 6 source controller.  Is that correct?

The problem was that the node server is waiting for the response to the get source name command but I had formatted the command wrong so it never got the source name, just an error response.  It was sitting there waiting for the first source name.  This should be fixed in 2.0.6 which is in the beta store now.

@bpwwer Hi.  I did inadvertently click the add controller button but later removed it. In the previous version of Russound RIO in PG2 the second controller was seen as one with 12 zones. Should actually be 16 zones as two on each controller are line out zones. Previously the only difference between the MCA- 88 and the MCA-C5 was that the C5 needed to be polled every so often to keep it alive.

After a restart I Just discovered that Source selection no longer appears. Just 0. Didn't see 2.0.6 yet but will give that a try when available.

Thanks Gary

When I do a Zone On on zone 3 (0ffice) I get this response.

2023-08-04 17:59:17,765 Command udi_interface.interface ERROR interface:_handleInput: _parseInput: node address zone_3 does not exist. {'address': 'zone_3', 'cmd': 'DFON', 'query': {}}

2023-08-04 17:59:17,765 Command udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_parseInput: DEQUEING command

2023-08-04 17:59:17,765 Command udi_interface.interface ERROR interface:_handleInput: _parseInput: node address zone_3 does not exist. {'address': 'zone_3', 'cmd': 'DFON', 'query': {}}

2023-08-04 17:59:19,091 MQTT udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_message: QUEUING incoming message shortPoll

2023-08-04 17:59:19,091 MQTT udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_message: QUEUING incoming message shortPoll

2023-08-04 17:59:19,091 Command udi_interface.interface DEBUG interface:_parseInput: DEQUEING shortPoll

Edited by garybixler

So the MCA-C5 is a 8 zone, 8 source controller.   The RIO docs don't mention it so I wasn't sure.  Version 2.0.6 will assume it's 6 zone, 6 source controller so expect that.  I'll fix it so it's 8 zone, 8 source in the next release.

The main goal with this release is to make sure it does create the 6 zone nodes and does show the sources you have configured (at least up to 6). 

Zone commands should work now too as it should no longer get stuck trying to access the source names.

If you use the 'Refresh Store' button, it should show the new version.  Otherwise you could have to wait up to 8 hours for it to show up automatically.

I just submitted version 2.0.7.  This has support for chained controllers. It should detect you're second controller and add the sources and zones for it.

To make this work, the zone addresses changed, so you might want to delete version 2.0.6 and install 2.0.7 instead of re-installing.

It was a pretty massive change to support multiple controllers this way so hopefully I didn't break it too bad.  

I think I fixed the source selection bug too.

• Like 1

I just tried 2.0.7 but nothing is being discovered. Just shows RussoundCtl_1.  I entered the IP address, port 9621, TCP and RIO into the config. Did a Re-Discover but no nodes were found. I included the log from restart and Re-Discover. Hope it helps. 

Thanks Gary

I did delete 2.0.6 and installed 2.0.7.

New Text Document (3).txt

Edited by garybixler

WOW everything looks great.  I just need to check if the C3, C5 series needs to be polled in order to keep the connection alive so that status info is received. If needed I have been using this program. I think it will take about an hour to find out. If needed maybe there would be a cleaner way of doing it within the NS. But many thanks for all you work.

Thanks Gary

Russound Keep Alive - [ID 0095][Parent 0054][Not Enabled]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Repeat Every  20 minutes 
           Set 'RussoundCtl_1 / Bedroom 1' Treble -1
           Wait  10 seconds
           Set 'RussoundCtl_1 / Bedroom 1' Treble 0

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')