Insteon Hub 2245 as a PLM

matapan

7 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

For anyone interested in converting Nokia Hubs to PLMs, I am sharing what one of our beloved engineers at x-SmartHome came up with. This is what we were going to do but, as with anything INSTEON/SmartHome related, got stopped. Hopefully someone can convince insteon tech to sell these Nokia hubs and someone else to modify them. 

With many thanks to Chasen, here it is:

https://www.universal-devices.com/docs/NokiaHub2PLM.zip

With kind regards,
Michel

The information was very informative to me. Photos where very clear and helpful. Thank you for posting it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

I forgot to add, these hubs use the ASCII version of the instruction set. So, not supported on ISY platform. So, we would need a large quantity to implement the ASCII version. The good news is that it's not too difficult. 

With kind regards,
Michel

If they use ASCII commands and not the HEX commands. Then converted Nokia HUB would not work with third party devices like the Smartenit EZIO8SA and software from other manufacturers. Without modification.

Edited by Brian H
Add information

It looks like I may have found  the Nokia HUB data in the FCC Database. As a BC01. There are four sets of data. I believe the difference are the Test Results data. The manual is from the original manufacturer and is not updated to the Insteon name in it. This was in 2020 the files where posted.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Grantee Code SBP  Product Code -BC01

Edited by Brian H
Review sayings
  • Thanks 1

Not really sure how this thread became a discussion about the Nokia Hub; the title of the thread specifically refers to the Insteon hub. If UDI attempted to purchase the unused inventory from the new owners of Insteon and they weren't interested in selling the Nokia hubs for a reasonable cost to repurpose them as hubs, and they require rework of code on the ISY or Polisy, is there any worthwhile value proposition to be considered for the Nokia hub? 

As mentioned previously, there is a post from another user which asserts he/she was able to take a stock 2nd generation Insteon hub, connect some wires from it to a serial card and use it as a PLM. If the poster is to be believed, no code changes required. Isn't that a worthwhile avenue to explore if PLMs are not going to be available for a long time or ever from the new owners of Insteon?

My Revision 1.0-4014. Does not have a 18F25J10. It does have a white programming sticker indicating  "18FJ2910 0333 V9D SMH316". That I believe is a PLM PIC chip. Since one is marked as the RF chip and the PIC32MX695F looks like the main controller.  I have not removed the sticker to read the actual chip markings.

It has a total of three 5 pin PIC programming connectors. J15 PLM ICP, J8 RF ICP and PIC32 ICP.

Edited by Brian H