KPL "add off" buttons

yardman 49

Hello Steve:

This is a problem that I have seen for quite a while on KeypadLincs; I don't think that it has been reported widely.

It happens like this:

- Through Houselinc or the ISY, build a scene with either a ToggleLinc or KPL group button as the scene controller. (If using a KPL button, no other buttons from the controller KPL are included in the scene).

- Add Insteon load-bearing switches to the scene, not only for devices that you want turned on, but also those that you want turned off (for occasions where you want some lights going either full on or dim, and others going off completely, all in the same scene).

- Add KPL buttons that correspond to all the devices in the scene, both those that you want the backlights turned on, as well as those where the backlights should be turned off. (Note again that this is not on the scene controller device, but another device in the room where the scene is applied). After adding the buttons, set "Scene On" button states to the correct values, where some of the buttons are set "on", and others set "off".

- If Button A (Load) is part of the scene, this is added last, after all of the other group buttons are added.

Result:

- All the scene Insteon load devices behave as expected, with some going on, others dimming, and others off. So as far as the look of the scene, everything works as expected.

- However, on the KPL that has the corresponding group buttons linked to the scene, all of the buttons included in the scene get the backlights turned "on", even if those buttons had been specified as turned completely off within the scene.

I hope that this explanation is clear. Let me know if you need more details.

Fortunately, with the ISY I can omit the "off" KPL buttons from the scene entirely, and then issue a triggered program command that sets those group buttons to "off". The trigger is the press of the actual scene controller button.

I have seen this behavior ever since I first started using HouseLinc, and now again with the ISY. So apparently, this is a limitation inherent in the KPL firmware.

Have you seen this reported, and are there any plans to fix it? If it has not been reported, could you kindly forward this to the product group?

Thanks much.

Hi Frank,

With out going into alot of detail because I have a plane to catch in the morning and I haven't packed yet. I have seen this before. What I did was delete the buttons from the program and then discovered the Keypad with the buttons in question again. I don't know why but this worked on three keypads with the same program in the same house. Like I said I don't know why that fixed it, but it did.

SteveL

Archived