Migrated to ISY on Polisy and PG3

Lore

No problem, it's great and fast!  I have a huge Insteon setup with Insteon switches controlling HUE bulbs and a lot of Network commands going out to custom audio software for announcements and scene sound effects.  My biggest issue, after getting around the update bug, was not realizing I needed to install the trial portal to get the portal code to install on the polisy ISY.  After that it was just restoring everything and hitting buttons to refresh stuff until things worked.  I was using a mix of Network commands to the HUE hub and HUE node commands.  While that worked when I was using two boxes with two IPs, that failed on the single Polisy box.  I switched to using just the HUE node, which is somewhat lacking, it really needs to show the scene names.  I'm up and running and everying is vastly more responsive.  My only question now is when will more PG3 nodes show up for all the other smart stuff I have? Things like the Atomi string lights from Costco or the Amazon Air Quality monitor?  It seems like I should just be happy everything is working so well and just wait to see if Matter takes over or Insteon recovers.

26 minutes ago, Lore said:

No problem, it's great and fast!  I have a huge Insteon setup with Insteon switches controlling HUE bulbs and a lot of Network commands going out to custom audio software for announcements and scene sound effects.  My biggest issue, after getting around the update bug, was not realizing I needed to install the trial portal to get the portal code to install on the polisy ISY.  After that it was just restoring everything and hitting buttons to refresh stuff until things worked.  I was using a mix of Network commands to the HUE hub and HUE node commands.  While that worked when I was using two boxes with two IPs, that failed on the single Polisy box.  I switched to using just the HUE node, which is somewhat lacking, it really needs to show the scene names.  I'm up and running and everying is vastly more responsive.  My only question now is when will more PG3 nodes show up for all the other smart stuff I have? Things like the Atomi string lights from Costco or the Amazon Air Quality monitor?  It seems like I should just be happy everything is working so well and just wait to see if Matter takes over or Insteon recovers.

The hue api doesnt present the hue scene information in such a way that it can translated by the isy (at least not the version its based on.

Developers choose what node servers they want to support so its hard to say what will be coming to pg3. If there is enough interest to make it worthwhile, one may be willing to develop a Node server for them. The main thing would be ensuring they have an open api and posting it to help make things easier for a developer.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Lore said:

My only question now is when will more PG3 nodes show up for all the other smart stuff I have?

WOW! There's 97 node servers in the production store and "21" in the non-production store (didn't look to see if there's overlap), but you need more?

Were there PG2 node servers for the specific ones you're asking about? You can run both PG2 and PG3. I'm just not sure if PG2 can push to IoP, but don't see why it can't. I just haven't moved over to that yet. 

Glad the transition went well.  The Portal migration is covered in the Wiki. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:35 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

The hue api doesnt present the hue scene information in such a way that it can translated by the isy (at least not the version its based on.

Developers choose what node servers they want to support so its hard to say what will be coming to pg3. If there is enough interest to make it worthwhile, one may be willing to develop a Node server for them. The main thing would be ensuring they have an open api and posting it to help make things easier for a developer.

Oddly, I pull the scene names and numbers from the Hue Rest API.  The phone app also pulls the names from the hub, but orders them differently so without the API, I have no idea what I'll get when I set a scene on the Polisy node.

I'm working around the lack of support for the "smart" stuff I got at Costco by capturing network traffic to the devices and playing back the command when I get a UDP message from the ISY network resource.

I just pre-ordered the Matter board and remounted the Polisy in a high and central location, so I'm hoping things will get a lot easier in the near future.  Smart stuff is sort of a mess of proprietary protocals with decent SDKs few and far between, requiring far too much hacking.

51 minutes ago, Lore said:

Oddly, I pull the scene names and numbers from the Hue Rest API.  The phone app also pulls the names from the hub, but orders them differently so without the API, I have no idea what I'll get when I set a scene on the Polisy node.

I'm working around the lack of support for the "smart" stuff I got at Costco by capturing network traffic to the devices and playing back the command when I get a UDP message from the ISY network resource.

I just pre-ordered the Matter board and remounted the Polisy in a high and central location, so I'm hoping things will get a lot easier in the near future.  Smart stuff is sort of a mess of proprietary protocals with decent SDKs few and far between, requiring far too much hacking.

It's not odd. What you can pull from those commands vs what the API exposed are 2 different things. 

You'll notice that when doing a get, the name is actually letters and numbers....this is what is exposed (also whats used for NRs). You have to dig into it to see the scene name that you actually named it. 

Their API is open so you can easily see what is exposed. V2 may be different but the Node server is based on V1. 

Matter may help with some of the hacking but to some degree I think it'll always be this way. The good thing is that it's only for the initial work. Once done, it getsuch easier