USB Charger for Nema 6-20R

jwagner010

Nema 6-20 is 240V and ground.  No neutral.  

Most Chargers are good for input volatge 100-240, so if you find that on the label that part is not a problem. The pin configuration of a 6-20 is such that someone can't accidentally plug in a 125v only device.  So an adapter for 6-20 to 5-15 if it exists would be dangerous to use, someone might use it to plug something else in.

You could perhaps get a corded charger which has a wide range of input voltage:image.png.c0885299c6bceebd20477c3810d5263d.png and then either find the correct cord with a molded on NEMA 6-20P plug, or optionally cut the 5-15P male off the cord that comes with the charger and replace it with a 6-20P plug.  (those chargers actually come, or at least they used to, with 2 cords American and European which makes them great for travel usage.)

I truly doubt you will find a purpose built device.  6-20R is very rarely used (I actually have one for my home for my central vac) and when used, it would virtually always be installed for a specific device that would always be plugged into it (like my central vac).  So, who would make the plug you want . .. no one.  In short, you would have to cobble something together yourself.  @KeviNH seems to have the most streamlined option.  If it were me, and I needed to charge a phone where I didn't have the right plug, I would just use the external battery packs.  They don't cost that much, charge your phone at warp speed, and have the added advantage of traveling with you when desired.  A fully charged external battery like the one I have can fully charge my phone a bunch of times and charges much faster than even the fastest wall adapter.  This is the one I have.  https://www.anker.com/products/a1271?variant=37436932554902&currency=USD&msclkid=5fd88992aaaf16b8de51eac5a43da32a

Thanks guys, sorry for slow response, work and family commitments have been crazy.  Lots of good suggestions. I actually want to use it to power a sensor behind a HVAC unit.  I ended up going a different route, powering the sensor off the hvac unit with a 24VAC to DC converter. 

• Like 1