Reboot/Restart buttons and nomenclature

Illusion

In IoP and PG3 there are multiple references to reboot and restart. Looking for clarification.

In Admin Console Configuration there is :

Polisy Systems Settings: Reboot

There is also Restart IoP

In PG3 Systems: Restart Polyglot 3

And Reboot ISY

Questions:

Is reboot the same as restart? If not, what is the difference? Does the Reboot Polisy restart the whole box like a power cycle and the others reboot or restart the individual programs on that box?

• Thanks 1

@Illusion probably something @bpwwer or @Michel Kohanim could better explain. 

However, my "simple" way of looking at it is:

Polisy = Device = Reboot

Polyglot = Service = Restart

IoP = Service = Restart (although this doesn't appear to work when given the command from PG3 interface)

I'm not clear why there's an option to "reboot ISY", but it might have been to reboot an ISY994 that the Polisy could talk to. I don't think it works. Something with trying to restart or reboot ISY (either IoP or ISY994) from the PG3 web UI doesn't work and just flashes an error in the lower right of the screen. 

IMO best way to reboot the IoP is through admin console. Same way as done previously with the ISY994. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

for what it's worth:

I was wondering this same thing.  after reading this, I went to the Admin Console "configuration" tab, under "Polisy System Settings" and clicked "reboot" and it definitely rebooted the ISY and it seemed to have rebooted the PG3, although I cannot confirm this for sure.