WiFi or Zwave conversion

PhoneGuy

As my devices start to fail I am looking for the best choice and best items for a conversion to either WiFi, z wave, or zigbee.  I have no issue with wifi strength as I have a commercial grade system with several ap's throughout my house and detached garage.

What is the better direction to go and which products should I look at.  I have multiple Insteon switches that have 6 or 8 functions that I want to maintain that kind of control and I have several outlets that are also Insteon.  I have had coverage issues in the past for Z wave through the house for a couple smart plugs and door locks that I have.  Also Z wave definitely will not make it out to the garage either.  I have WiFi in the garage as part of my mess network but do not want to run any cat 5 or 6 out to the garage as that would be quite the project.

I currently have a Polisy so anything that would integrate with that would work as well.

Thank you!

@PhoneGuy Are you having issues with failing devices? Why not replace them with current/new Insteon devices?

To answer your question though...it's really up to personal needs/wants. Honestly, I'd say nothing would be as reliable as an Insteon setup for overall use. You can go higher end, but that typically requires professional installation and programing; ending up not so "hobbyist/DIY friendly". Z-wave and Zigbee all have their shortcomings, and many have overcome those to fit their needs. There are a lot of other posts exactly like yours further in this forum area that you could review to see what people have suggested. But in the end, it comes down to your personal needs/wants for a system. If you've got a Polisy then I'd say just buy more Insteon. 

The new owners of Insteon have quite a bit of stock already available and more coming. You can shop them here and watch these threads for additional info:

I agree with @Geddy The best devices for minimizing "popcorn lights" and ease of maintenance, for me, are Insteon. I have installed and forgotten my Insteon devices but my WIFI lights and Z-waver sensors have been much more problematic......I just finished rebuilding my Z-Wave side for the 3rd time and have new WIFI firmware firmware breaking a PG3 Node server.

Insteon is far less "fragile" in my system. YMMV

Edited by gviliunas
  • Like 2