Installation instructions?

vbPhil
Go to solution Solved by brians,

Just received my z-wave/matter board and antennas. Not sure what the upgrade procedure is.

Any ideas on where to look?

I have the email from UDI Sales describing the hardware installation. It has a few statements on getting Polisy up to date and running IoT. I don't see anything on how my z-wave devices are migrated, do I remove the ZooZ USB stick? These instructions are a little too vague.

Edited by vbphil
54 minutes ago, vbphil said:

Just received my z-wave/matter board and antennas. Not sure what the upgrade procedure is.

Any ideas on where to look?

I have the email from UDI Sales describing the hardware installation. It has a few statements on getting Polisy up to date and running IoT. I don't see anything on how my z-wave devices are migrated, do I remove the ZooZ USB stick? These instructions are a little too vague.

I thought Michel said the instructions were in the package

I tossed my zmatter board into the middle slot, not sure if that's right.  I don't have any zwave devices.  I also checked zwave support on the ISY config page.

Edited by Lore
  • Solution
18 minutes ago, Lore said:

I tossed my zmatter board into the middle slot, not sure if that's right.  I don't have any zwave devices.  I checked zwave support on the ISY config page.

No, it should be left slot. Probably doesn't matter though really but I would put it in left as per instructions. I don't think there will be a process release to migrate until 12/01/2022 as per email.

We are very excited to let you know that we received the ZMatter modules in full, and sample testing has been completed. While we put the final touches on the IoX (ISY on Anything) – especially backup/restore – we decided to start shipping out the orders by tomorrow (11/23).

Preparations:

1.    If your Polisy has been collecting dust for more than a year, the first thing you need to do is to freshen it up. Here’s how you do it. Once done, you can access your Polisy just like you did your ISY994. Here’s how to do so.

2.    If you have not already migrated your ISY994 to Polisy, that’s the first thing you need to do. Migration is easy and you can even use your existing PLM for INSTEON/X10 communications. Here are the instructions.

3.    You will be sent further instructions for the required IoX version and how-tos for untapping our additional features and enhancements by 12/01/2022.

Installation Instructions:

1.    Unplug Polisy from power

2.    Take off the top panel by unscrewing the 4 screws on the sides (2 on each side)

3.    Connect the SMA side of the antenna wires into the two holes on each side of the top panel

image.jpeg.4821de8afca17535534c1d1db534bbe0.jpeg

4.    Plugin the ZMatter board into the first mPCIe slot from the left. Ensure that it latches in just like the SSD. Please note, you may not have a WiFI card.

image.jpeg.860442e7fa79a9e984bad530ac40572e.jpeg

5.    Align the top panel on top of Polisy and move it backward so that you can see the u.FL connectors on the board.

6.    Gently push in the u.FL side of the antenna wires into the u.FL connectors. Ensure that they click in

7.    Gently push the top panel back so that it’s flush with the bottom and screw back the 4 screws on the sides

8.    Attach the antennas one on each side.

NOTE: facing the front of the unit

·         Z-Wave antenna has a Yellow band on top and goes to the left

·         Zigbee antenna has a Red band on top and goes to the right

image.jpeg.c65fef3e3563e53475dca9c338806cf7.jpeg

Enjoy the beauty!

image.jpeg.32b5de06ef0f87f882e76664d5d3a979.jpeg

With Kind regards,

UD Sales

Store: https://www.universal-devices.com/store

Information (Wiki):     https://wiki.universal-devices.com 

Information (Forum): https://forum.universal-devices.com   

Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter

http://www.universal-devices.com  

Edited by brians
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, brians said:

No, it should be left slot. Probably doesn't matter though really but I would put it in left as per instructions. I don't think there will be a process release to migrate until 12/01/2022 as per email.

We are very excited to let you know that we received the ZMatter modules in full, and sample testing has been completed. While we put the final touches on the IoX (ISY on Anything) – especially backup/restore – we decided to start shipping out the orders by tomorrow (11/23).

Preparations:

1.    If your Polisy has been collecting dust for more than a year, the first thing you need to do is to freshen it up. Here’s how you do it. Once done, you can access your Polisy just like you did your ISY994. Here’s how to do so.

2.    If you have not already migrated your ISY994 to Polisy, that’s the first thing you need to do. Migration is easy and you can even use your existing PLM for INSTEON/X10 communications. Here are the instructions.

3.    You will be sent further instructions for the required IoX version and how-tos for untapping our additional features and enhancements by 12/01/2022.

Installation Instructions:

1.    Unplug Polisy from power

2.    Take off the top panel by unscrewing the 4 screws on the sides (2 on each side)

3.    Connect the SMA side of the antenna wires into the two holes on each side of the top panel

image.jpeg.4821de8afca17535534c1d1db534bbe0.jpeg

4.    Plugin the ZMatter board into the first mPCIe slot from the left. Ensure that it latches in just like the SSD. Please note, you may not have a WiFI card.

image.jpeg.860442e7fa79a9e984bad530ac40572e.jpeg

5.    Align the top panel on top of Polisy and move it backward so that you can see the u.FL connectors on the board.

6.    Gently push in the u.FL side of the antenna wires into the u.FL connectors. Ensure that they click in

7.    Gently push the top panel back so that it’s flush with the bottom and screw back the 4 screws on the sides

8.    Attach the antennas one on each side.

NOTE: facing the front of the unit

·         Z-Wave antenna has a Yellow band on top and goes to the left

·         Zigbee antenna has a Red band on top and goes to the right

image.jpeg.c65fef3e3563e53475dca9c338806cf7.jpeg

Enjoy the beauty!

image.jpeg.32b5de06ef0f87f882e76664d5d3a979.jpeg

With Kind regards,

UD Sales

Store: https://www.universal-devices.com/store

Information (Wiki):     https://wiki.universal-devices.com 

Information (Forum): https://forum.universal-devices.com   

Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter

http://www.universal-devices.com  

That was useful.  I guess I should have dug up the original email.  I forgot it came with instructions.  I even had the antennas wrong.  I guess it's just waiting for matter stuff to arrive and the software to update.

My question is this. I have the 700 USB zwave dongle - and (of course) want to migrate my network. 

Can I install the zmatter board and button up my POLISY while awaiting the migration instructions - or should I do NOTHING until the instructions arrive?

I was assuming that we need an upgrade to IOP in order to run the new Matter board. In a description of the board is shown a IOP configuration page where you can specify the version of Z-Wave.....

Maybe this will become clear in the promised Dec 01 more information dump.

Z-Wave version select.jpg

I don't have the board installed (yet) and still have the dongle connected. The most recent upgrade went to 5.4.5 and the name changed from IoP to IoX:
image.png.49c497c4563f4011506a28dd2341e92e.png
I don't see the zwave version selector yet - I assume this is not available with the dongle but is with the ZMatter board:
image.png.f19ecfb9211a0b1d2fb78bebd77dd2b1.png

Biggest question is should I leave the usb dongle connected after installing the board - or disconnect it before booting after installation? I assume a backup taken prior to install will simply be restored. I have a question on the backup though since that's throwing an error (documented in another thread in the IoP part of the forum).

I know I should have patience for the new documentation....   I just find that difficult with the new toy in hand!

Edited by MWareman
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, MWareman said:

I don't have the board installed (yet) and still have the dongle connected. The most recent upgrade went to 5.4.5 and the name changed from IoP to IoX:
image.png.49c497c4563f4011506a28dd2341e92e.png
I don't see the zwave version selector yet - I assume this is not available with the dongle but is with the ZMatter board:

Good catch on the IoX. I see the same on mine. I'd like to know if I can install the matter board now or should I wait? I'm using z-wave devices with the ZooZ dongle and would like the z-wave stuff to migrate over.

Well, I couldn't resist so I installed the Matter Module. Looks to me like it's not doing anything, as I expected since it's probably missing the software that utilizes it. Z-wave is not working unless the ZooZ dongle is plugged in so there was no migration to the new z-wave controller. I did an IoT restore from the AC with and without the dongle plugged in but still no z-wave was migrated.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vbphil said:

Well, I couldn't resist so I installed the Matter Module. Looks to me like it's not doing anything, as I expected since it's probably missing the software that utilizes it. Z-wave is not working unless the ZooZ dongle is plugged in so there was no migration to the new z-wave controller. I did an IoT restore from the AC with and without the dongle plugged in but still no z-wave was migrated.

Well this at least gives me confidence that it won't break things, and that zwave will keep working via the ZooZ dongle. Thank you for blazing a trail taking one for the team by testing! 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Foiled. My case has no holes for the antenna. Need to figure out the size of hole needed and make them or get a newer case top (since my Policy was a very early one it seems).

The holes are “D” type where one side is flat keeping the connector from spinning. 

29 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Foiled. My case has no holes for the antenna. Need to figure out the size of hole needed and make them or get a newer case top (since my Policy was a very early one it seems).

I have one of those too.  Luckily, I had a newer one also so I swapped top halves of the cases.

@Michel KohanimIs there a template available for where the holes would need to be drilled?

I installed the board in a Polisy Pro (without a Zooz stick) and after rebooting, it admin console shows the normal z-wave menu.  I'm not sure what happens if both the Zooz stick and ZMatter board are installed.

I do not yet have any z-wave devices added.  I'm waiting for the migration instructions to go from he ISY 500 series z-wave to the ZMatter z-wave.

I found that connecting the antenna cables to the board and then plugging the board into the Polisy was a bit easier than the other way around.   Those cables don't have much slack to work with.

• Like 4

Well - cutting D shaped holes is a bit beyond my tooling ability - and I suspect might be needed to keep the antenna pointed up. I sent an email to sales to see if a replacement case is available. Tempted to center punch and drill round holes to get it going though.

5 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Well - cutting D shaped holes is a bit beyond my tooling ability - and I suspect might be needed to keep the antenna pointed up. I sent an email to sales to see if a replacement case is available. Tempted to center punch and drill round holes to get it going though.

You don't need the keyed D Shaped holes... just tighten them down good... unless you are constantly moving the antennas around it will not be an issue.

Just finished installing the Zmatter board.

When installing the antenna connectors on the Polisy case place the serrated washer on the inside and the split locknut on the outside under the nut.  Once the nut is tightened down the antennas won't move. 

You might have to rotate the antenna connectors when inserting them into the Polisy lid, they definitely fit without doing any modifications to the lid

Connecting the antenna leads to the Zmatter board once the board is installed is somewhat difficult, as the Zigbee lead barely makes it to the board. It's probably best to connect the antennas to the board before inserting the board.

I started fresh and removed my Zwave devices and the Zooz dongle before the installation.  After the installation I installed a few test Zwave devices without out issues.

For now, you just get the basic Zwave options. Looking forward to future firmware updates with the enhanced Zwave features.

29 minutes ago, Techman said:

I started fresh and removed my Zwave devices and the Zooz dongle before the installation.  After the installation I installed a few test Zwave devices without out issues.

So are you getting zwave without your dongle and just the matter module?

I center-punched and drilled 1/4" holes for the antenna. Installed as described (serrated on the inside, spring washer on the outside, tightened.)

I connected the pigtails to the board before installing the board. Much easier that way. Only real caveat (other than the lack of holes) was my antenna were one yellow and one purple (not red as described). However, the purple matched the image in the instructions so all good.

non of the devices paired with the dongle are responding - and the 'Home ID' on the 'Zwave Information' menu has changed. I suspect it's started using the zwave module on the zmatter board in preference to the dongle. 

Edited by MWareman
Typo
11 minutes ago, MWareman said:

I center-punched and drilled 1/4" holes for the antenna. Installed as described (serrated on the inside, spring washer on the outside, tightened.)

I connected the pigtails to the board before installing the board. Much easier that way. Only real caveat (other than the lack of holes) was my antenna were one yellow and one purple (not red as described). However, the purple matched the image in the instructions so all good.

non of the devices paired with the dongle are responding - and the 'Home ID' on the 'Zwave Information' menu has changed. I suspect it's started using the zwave module on the zmatter board in preference to the dongle. 

I had a similar problem. I did a synchronize nodes which fixed it.

• Like 1