Insteon mini remote alternatives

PB11

Greetings all,

I’m wondering if someone might have some experience with some of the “button” trigger hardware that seems to be coming on the market recently

I’m in need of several Insteon mini remotes but since they're not available, I’ve been looking into the new Alexa compatible button hardware that’s come into the marketplace.

Would appreciate if anybody has any experience with these buttons as triggers for either Alexa routines or Insteon scenes.

Edited by PB11
Spelling correction
15 hours ago, upstatemike said:

What about using Lutron Pico remotes?

what controller does Lutron use, is it a standard like z-wave or does it have its own and would require their controller and a Polisy node server?

I'm a fan of the slightly spendy but very flexible Flic buttons. I have some that link directly with Alexa, some that call the ISY's REST API, and some that call my Shelly devices' REST API. They recognize press, double-press, triple-press, and long-press actions for four different operations per button. Again, very flexible. Here's a list of all the services they support out of the box: https://flic.io/all-functions

Unlike Insteon's mini remote or Lutron's Pico, Flic buttons are just one single button.

• Like 2

I have a couple of the Zooz Z-Wave ZEN34 Remote Switch, which is very much like the Insteon mini remote (it uses coin cells rather than recharging). The only difference I have found so far is that if the ISY thinks something is off but the last thing the ZEN34 saw was an ON press, it won't trigger anything until you press OFF first. (Perhaps there's a way around this, I'd be delighted to hear any.)

On 12/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, Steve L said:

I have a couple of the Zooz Z-Wave ZEN34 Remote Switch, which is very much like the Insteon mini remote (it uses coin cells rather than recharging). The only difference I have found so far is that if the ISY thinks something is off but the last thing the ZEN34 saw was an ON press, it won't trigger anything until you press OFF first. (Perhaps there's a way around this, I'd be delighted to hear any.)

I have several of these in use and haven't seen that behavior in any of them. How you using them? I have used them in scenes, but ultimately decided to create programs that then trigger a scene.