System -2 in the log

smurt

Does any know if there is a specific problem description for a "system -2" message in the log file. This message was received on a couple of lights that failed to turn on so assume it is some kind of communication error but wondering if that specific message in any way reveals the cause.

I am somewhat confused by the communication errors I am getting since switching to ISY. I switched from X10 to Insteon some years back to eliminate the communication errors I got with X10 devices. Since the switch I have had no errors unless my computer failed. This only happened a couple of times over the years. I don't understand the difference between an Indigo driven light control and ISY. Anybody know?

Hi smurt,

-2 = device communications error. For a list of error codes, please checkout:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... r_Messages

Although I have heard excellent review of Indigo, I am not at all familiar with it and therefore I won't be able to offer any comparative analysis.

For direct command and control of devices, ISY expects the device to respond back with an acknowledgment. If one is not forthcoming, then ISY lets the user know that there has been communication errors (i.e. the device did not respond to ISY).

If you never had any communication errors using Indigo, I would imagine:

1. The location of the PLM for Indigo is much more strategic than the location for ISY's PLM

2. Something was introduced to your electrical environment that did not exist before

3. Perhaps Indigo didn't catch communication errors in the same way that ISY does

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi mitch236,

ISY already does that. The default is 3 times and you can increase/decrease it in the shell.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel, I have often wondered about ACK. Is it possible, either through programming or through firmware, to have the command repeated if no Acknoledgment is received in a certain timeframe?

One more question on communication. I have decided I need to add a couple more access points to improve communication into my garage. Does any one know if I can link them all together as one or do they only link as pairs. Wonder if strengthen the accesss point network will in anyway help my insteon communications.

Access Points do not link. The LED tests only verify communication between them and that the first two are on opposite phases.

After the first two are installed. You don't have to do the LED tests but it is nice to at least know that they are talking to another one.

Michel

Can you comment on the implications of increasing the retry count you mention above.

Would there be any serious side effects by raising it to say 5......

I am still seeing random communication errors, very few maybe 1 every 2 or 3 days and was thinking of raising it after seeing your comment above

Thanks

Archived