Which Firmware Update Option?

DAnderson01

Been a long time since I have done an FW update or anything ISY related for that matter since all has been perfect and well. Now motivated to update from 4.9 to 5.3.4 for the purpose of generating a backup file compatible for newer eISY that I see in my not too distant future with the sunsetting of ISY-994i. Sorry if this has already been addressed and also my inability to logically sort out the use of "and/or" within the context of "ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)".

I have ISY-994i with Zigbee Sep (ZS) card with modules Open ADR,  AMI Electricity Meter, and Elk Security System. The ISY is connected to PLM for about 20 Insteon devices including Insteon Thermostat. 99% of all programs run in the Elk since I saw no reason to port them to ISY when ISY was added at a later date to overcome cumbersome IO issues with Elk Serial Card and linking / configuring Insteon devices. Marriage made in heaven. Finally, MobiLinc is used in two iPhones and two iPads along with DDNS and port forwarding in router for WAN MobiLinc control. No portal, no Polyglots.

The questions are is "ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)" the correct firmware option choice AND will all be as before other than UN and PW defaulted and AC update and stuff? No guesses please. As I recall from some years back, I was warned that an FW update could cause Zigbee Sep communication to be lost and is a less than pleasant task to establish hand-shaking (PG&E). Thanks for reading to end and responding.

First question is what z-wave version is reported....

If 4.81.00 you have 300 series z-wave hardware and can only go to isy firmware 5.01.16C....

if the 6.8x.yy, or no z-wave,  then you have 500 zwave can proceed to 5.3.4

as for your question.... if you do NOT have a PLM is the key phase.  If you have Insteon use the one above that.... if you do not have Insteon, and do not have a PLM choose the one that says "if you do NOT have a PLM"

Edited by MrBill

Thanks MrBill. No Z-Wave devices in the equation. No hardware support for Z-Wave, no Z-wave version. Zigbee Sep card installed (B130215). No mention of Zigbee in first choice.  Z-wave support mentioned in first choice. As stated, been a long time since I have even given a thought to our ISY but last time I raised FW level I think I used option #2. Hence the uncertainty. Gramattically, neither reads as a fit, however, agreed the negative attribute assigned to the PLM is key, not the "and/or".

14 hours ago, DAnderson01 said:

Thanks MrBill. No Z-Wave devices in the equation. No hardware support for Z-Wave, no Z-wave version. Zigbee Sep card installed (B130215). No mention of Zigbee in first choice.  Z-wave support mentioned in first choice. As stated, been a long time since I have even given a thought to our ISY but last time I raised FW level I think I used option #2. Hence the uncertainty. Gramattically, neither reads as a fit, however, agreed the negative attribute assigned to the PLM is key, not the "and/or".

The only difference between the two firmware versions in general releases posted in the forum is the first option looks for and requires connection to an Insteon PLM.  The second listed version (i.e. if you do not have a PLM) doesn't require connection to an Insteon PLM, however if there is one present the firmware can still use it. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for the last clarification and now falls into place. I have noted that for the first option the file name for all revs is "insteon_x.y.z.zip" and for the second option the file name is "udi_oadr_x.y.z.zip". Looking around on my Notebook PC, I found an FW file "udi_oadr_4.7.3.zip" as an indication that I have used the second choice in the past with no ill effects. Will proceed with second option as in the past. As previously stated, my ISY994i ZS is at 4.9 and for a long time. Just wanted to avoid an error that put me into a recovery process.

I assume MobiLinc plays nice with 5.3.4. As previously stated, the motivation for the update is to obtain a backup file that is compatible for loading into the newer eISY as a noted requisite. Also, there are few polys of interest that will be of avail with eISY.

Lastly, interesting FW ZIP files in that they are around 6.5 mb in size but only show contents of a small XML file and if unzipped the only thing extracted is the small XML file with the bulk of the zip file having vanished.

Regards

17 minutes ago, DAnderson01 said:

I assume MobiLinc plays nice with 5.3.4.

MobiLinc works with 5.3.4, mobilinc plays nicest with v4 releases... mobilinc hasn't been updated in years.  Fewer and fewer people are using as time goes on.

Don't unzip firmware files.  upload the untouched .zip file to the ISY

17 hours ago, DAnderson01 said:

Yep. Just an observation about the file that I found unique. Thanks for MobiLinc input.

Would have a look at UD Mobil but, as I understand it, a portal is needed as a prerequisite rather than being able to URL (DDNS) in and port forward. I am cloud-adverse (a losing battle).

Before UD mobile existed I reached the point I wasn't satisfied with any of the mobile options (mobilinc, ekeypad, agave, etc) and decided to try Home Assistant.  My original intent with HA was simply to build a front end (dashboards) for the ISY, and that's where I started.  It was actually the first mobil installation that was wife approved... she actually uses it, because the dashboards make sense, things were in order they needed to be for our house.

Next thing that happened was a node server I was using broke, the developer was working on it but after a few days I abandoned the node server because there was an HA integration.  Next my wife wanted some shades, they had a zigbee option... only way to get that back then was HA.  Over time there's become a split between what the ISY is the controller for and what HA is controller for, but the two controllers communicate so well in both directions it behaves like a unified system.

DDNS/Port forward is available when using HA.