Insteon Thermostat -- Clock Incorrect -- Time in GMT Only

jaydrosy

Hi somebody else was posting about this several months ago in a couple of the IoX release specific threads, but through a few updates this is still a problem. I have three Insteon thermostats (model 2441TH) and IoX sets the time to GMT rather than local time.  The time reported by IoX (running EISY and firmware v 5.5.7) is correct in local terms and programs run properly.  There was talk of some firmware updates addressing these sorts of things.  Any ideas about this one?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, jaydrosy said:

Hi somebody else was posting about this several months ago in a couple of the IoX release specific threads, but through a few updates this is still a problem. I have three Insteon thermostats (model 2441TH) and IoX sets the time to GMT rather than local time.  The time reported by IoX (running EISY and firmware v 5.5.7) is correct in local terms and programs run properly.  There was talk of some firmware updates addressing these sorts of things.  Any ideas about this one?  Thanks!

While I use Insteon, I have never used an Insteon thermostat because of reported reliability issues.

How is the time set when using with an ISY system? Is setting time available in programs or is there a configuration parameter that needs to be set?

What nodes are displayed in the admin console? 

Is everything else Insteon working correctly, if not try rebooting. 

If everything is working correctly, try right clicking on the thermostat in the right hand window and select restore device.

Also, make sure there are no write updates pending.

If nothing else works, I would agree with @Geddy, you need to file a support ticket so UD is aware of it.

10 hours ago, DennisC said:

While I use Insteon, I have never used an Insteon thermostat because of reported reliability issues.

How is the time set when using with an ISY system? Is setting time available in programs or is there a configuration parameter that needs to be set?

What nodes are displayed in the admin console? 

Is everything else Insteon working correctly, if not try rebooting. 

If everything is working correctly, try right clicking on the thermostat in the right hand window and select restore device.

Also, make sure there are no write updates pending.

If nothing else works, I would agree with @Geddy, you need to file a support ticket so UD is aware of it.

Hi @DennisC I'm slowly working to eliminate Insteon from my life, but in the meantime these thermostats have been 100% reliable for years.  I've had several of them in two properties running (previously) on ISY 994 and no problems at all.  Great units as far as I can tell.  Problem with the clock cropped up only recently (not exactly when) with some update to IoX and/or the introduction of EISY as a replacement for the old ISY 994.

It's not terribly relevant to you but the time is set natively through a command issued in IoX.  See image below.  No change in behavior after a device restore, unfortunately. 

Screenshot 2023-02-21 203515.jpg

Edited by jaydrosy
11 hours ago, jaydrosy said:

Hi @DennisC I'm slowly working to eliminate Insteon from my life, but in the meantime these thermostats have been 100% reliable for years.  I've had several of them in two properties running (previously) on ISY 994 and no problems at all.  Great units as far as I can tell.  Problem with the clock cropped up only recently (not exactly when) with some update to IoX and/or the introduction of EISY as a replacement for the old ISY 994.

It's not terribly relevant to you but the time is set natively through a command issued in IoX.  See image below.  No change in behavior after a device restore, unfortunately. 

Screenshot 2023-02-21 203515.jpg

Thanks for the information, I'm always willing to learn something new. One follow up, after clicking on "Set Time" do you need to click on "Write Changes"?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 5:27 PM, jaydrosy said:

Never have before -- no impact now

@jaydrosy did you submit a ticket? What was the outcome? If they reply with "known bug" then post here to let others know. If there was something done to fix it also post here to help others attempt to fix their system.

3 hours ago, JMcKain said:

To my knowledge this worked fine on the ISY994, but when I went to the Polisy it broke.

@JMcKain as suggested above, please submit a ticket to UDI support (link above in first reply). That's going to be the best way to get help and to help UDI figure out if this is a bug or expected and allow them to properly handle "fixing" it if it's indeed broke. 

2 hours ago, Geddy said:

@jaydrosy did you submit a ticket? What was the outcome? If they reply with "known bug" then post here to let others know. If there was something done to fix it also post here to help others attempt to fix their system.

Ticket submitted and the issue has been acknowledged.  My understanding is that it will be addressed in a future release.  Stay tuned!

• Thanks 1

Glad it was submitted...

this is the code that was running correctly on my ISY994, now running incorrectly on my IoP.

Set the time every night as there may have been a power-failure or other local thermostat power event.

I am not sure if you need the Write Changes, but this worked for years.

I do this because I have some time-based setback operations that work locally on the thermostat (independent of IoX)

image.png.c35b7c0199c29ed1a5a2c417f64eca0e.png

17 hours ago, JMcKain said:

Glad it was submitted...

this is the code that was running correctly on my ISY994, now running incorrectly on my IoP.

Set the time every night as there may have been a power-failure or other local thermostat power event.

I am not sure if you need the Write Changes, but this worked for years.

I do this because I have some time-based setback operations that work locally on the thermostat (independent of IoX)

image.png.c35b7c0199c29ed1a5a2c417f64eca0e.png

I have always had my thermostats update the clock at some point overnight using the Set Time command, primarily to capture daylight savings changes.  I’ve never needed Write Changes, but did try it just in case and to no avail.  I’ll report back here if I get word of a fix being implemented.

i have 6 in different houses with polisy eisy and 994  they all do it, 5 hours difference, brought it up on a ticket with michel but he couldn't pinpoint it.  it doesn't affect programs and schedules done on the isy and i think its discontinued anyway so i gave up

• 1 month later...

Same problem here.  All 3 of my thermostats times are off by 6 hours.   I upgraded from ISY-944i were it was running fine.  It worked without the write changes.  I set the thermostat time every day at 3 am as to sync with programs in IoX. My time is 6 hours off no matter what time zone I set it too..  I just set it to the correct time manually then hit set time in IoX 5.5.9 and it threw it off.

image.png.296b28a0951cad365ea5a311c5150513.png

I guess I need to wait for the bug fix.

• 4 weeks later...

Upgraded to 5.6.0 (with a IOP) a few weeks back I want to confirm that the Inteon Thermostats now update to the correct time (I am on EST). I also removed my Write Devices command (which I thought I needed), but this works fine with just the Set Time command.  Thanks UDI, seems like a minor bug but it helps me.

If  Time is  3:45:00AM
Then
        Set 'Hoop House Thermostat' Set Time
        Set 'Milk Room Thermostat' Set Time
 Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I can also confirm the 5.6.0 fixed it.  I just upgraded to 5.6.0 from 5.5.9, 20 mins ago and manually ran my time sync program and it corrected the time.  It was on GMT before the upgrade.  To clarify I have a program that runs once a week very early morning that makes sure the time on the thermostat is correct (takes care of any drift).  It looks as simple as this....

If
        On Sun
        Time is  4:00:00AM

Then
        Set 'Hall and Stairs / Thermostat' Set Time 

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')