Two issues with ZEN17 sensors

I have a number of ZEN17 relays that I've configured as "on/off report (dry contact switch/sensor)" (param 2/3 set to 10) so the sensors on them are independent of the relay. There are two issues I'm finding with them using the 994i that I'd like to know if they still exists in IoX 5.5.7 with zmatter board in order to help me decide whether I buy more of them or not.

First issue is that the sensor does not always respond to change. That, or the 994i does not always hear it. Not sure which one it is. Are folks finding the sensors reliable? I have three and they all occasionally fail to react (or be heard). One is 4 feet from the 994i so range should not be the issue.

Second issue is that, while I can query the sensor from admin console node, there's no option to select the sensor to query it in a program. I tried querying the relay that's grouped with the sensor in case that also updated the sensor but that doesn't work. Is this still the case in IoX 5.5.7? Is it a device type issue or an ISY device support issue?

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

zen17sensorquery.png.ff7a224d8983ec3e2a9d6538bc44de16.png

zen17sensornotinprogram.png.70635f25d034f699fa2f13a9d1365996.png

What do you have settings for the relay parameters 2 and 3?

I found that certain configurations (I think default) do not allow query in programs. I’ll check mine later and see if I can in its current configuration. However I worked around this before using network resources to query.  

My zen17 are reliable and update almost instantly.  

6 hours ago, brians said:

What do you have settings for the relay parameters 2 and 3?

I found that certain configurations (I think default) do not allow query in programs. I’ll check mine later and see if I can in its current configuration. However I worked around this before using network resources to query.  

My zen17 are reliable and update almost instantly.  

Are you running IoX 5.5.7 on Polisy? eisy?

Query using network resources? How do you do that?

I have param 2/3 set to "10 - on/off report (dry contact switch/sensor)"

Other than 2 and 10 I'm really not clear what the different settings offer/support but I am getting exactly what I'm looking for with setting 10 except for the querying in programs, and the reliability (unrelated to setting I'm thinking).

Interestingly I wouldn't need the querying if I had the reliability. That said one of my use case needs a safeguard so I would probably keep the querying for that even if I had the reliability.

0 – momentary for lights only;

1 – toggle switch (light on when the switch is toggled up, light off when the switch is toggled down);

2 – toggle switch (state changes whenever the switch is toggled);
3 – garage door momentary mode (for Z-Wave control );

4 – leak alarm (water sensor);
5 – heat alarm;

6 – motion alert;

7 – open/close alert (door sensor);

8 – CO alarm;

9 – CO2 alarm;
10 – on/off report (dry contact switch/sensor);

11 – garage door mode for the relay (momentary contact) and door sensor type for the input (use with wired analog door/window sensors and garage gate openers). 

7 hours ago, johnnyt said:

Are you running IoX 5.5.7 on Polisy? eisy?

Query using network resources? How do you do that?

I have param 2/3 set to "10 - on/off report (dry contact switch/sensor)"

Other than 2 and 10 I'm really not clear what the different settings offer/support but I am getting exactly what I'm looking for with setting 10 except for the querying in programs, and the reliability (unrelated to setting I'm thinking).

Interestingly I wouldn't need the querying if I had the reliability. That said one of my use case needs a safeguard so I would probably keep the querying for that even if I had the reliability.

I have one set to 10 and just checked and can query the binary sensor and binary switch nodes in programs. Actually the only option for a binary sensor is query in a program.

I think before with Polisy and Zooz dongle, and ISY994i, it didn't support query on some nodes but now seems it does with ZMatter.

I am on Polisy 5.5.7

Here is mine, I am only using one node sensor and renamed it, but you can see them all...

I also

Set Parameter 10 to 0
Set Parameter 11 to 0
This isolates the relays being triggered from the inputs

image.thumb.png.f246715b25ab4248fcf2b0e77dccc533.png

image.thumb.png.c18ff4917b7e4055bb363e87833857cf.png

To do a query with network resource you do a http GET to your ISY

/rest/query/ZW055_001_104

Edited by brians

yes i did everything needed to configure it, including setting 10/11 and re-include after.

I tried the rest command but only getting errors

can you see what I did wrong from screenshots?

sensornode.png.2a3d8a7fea365d3c1972f0e5bbad50a6.png

sensornetquery.thumb.png.674119e42d4017f919a154e9495f5cde.png

sensorcallfails.png.d04afe2f0c8c5103f74d4e6894c29fc2.png

I also tried with and without "Encode URL" option checked (similar error msg without) and with/without "authorization" (similar error message without). I did double check userid/pw, which are visible so hard to that mess up. I do have other similarly configured network resources that work fine and return an OK message. Don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Could it be querying this type of binary sensor simply does not work on a 994i?

Edited by johnnyt
10 hours ago, johnnyt said:

yes i did everything needed to configure it, including setting 10/11 and re-include after.

I tried the rest command but only getting errors

can you see what I did wrong from screenshots?

sensornode.png.2a3d8a7fea365d3c1972f0e5bbad50a6.png

sensornetquery.thumb.png.674119e42d4017f919a154e9495f5cde.png

sensorcallfails.png.d04afe2f0c8c5103f74d4e6894c29fc2.png

I also tried with and without "Encode URL" option checked (similar error msg without) and with/without "authorization" (similar error message without). I did double check userid/pw, which are visible so hard to that mess up. I do have other similarly configured network resources that work fine and return an OK message. Don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Could it be querying this type of binary sensor simply does not work on a 994i?

I just tried the network resources on mine and works and it is the exact same as yours, but I use a Polisy so cannot confirm it works on ISY994i.

However, I believe I have answered your original question that they do work on Polisy/EISY with ZMatter board, and support query. I also suspect that your reliability should be better, if not go away, because the ZMatter board has much better range than the 500 series board in ISY994i, which was not even as good as the Zooz USB dongle I used just previously.

Edited by brians

I am using a ZEN17 as a garage door controller/sensor.  The status sensor on the ZEN17 is connected to a magnetic door sensor and reports changes in status very quickly and is very reliable.  I am using an ISY 994 FW 5.3.4 and the ZEN17 is about 40 feet and several walls from the ISY and is relaying through other powered nodes. These are the settings I have changed from default:

Set all relays to off after power fail:
Parameter 1 set to 0.
Set relay 1 to garage door with independent trigger:
Parameter 2 set to 11.
Set relay 1 to independent from switch:
Parameter 10 set to 0
In my ISY the door status shows as "Barrier 1" and reports as "Open" or "Closed".

I know the configuration is different from yours, but I have it working reliably with ISY which was one of your original questions.

On 3/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, kandlg said:

I am using a ZEN17 as a garage door controller/sensor.  The status sensor on the ZEN17 is connected to a magnetic door sensor and reports changes in status very quickly and is very reliable.  I am using an ISY 994 FW 5.3.4 and the ZEN17 is about 40 feet and several walls from the ISY and is relaying through other powered nodes. These are the settings I have changed from default:

Set all relays to off after power fail:
Parameter 1 set to 0.
Set relay 1 to garage door with independent trigger:
Parameter 2 set to 11.
Set relay 1 to independent from switch:
Parameter 10 set to 0
In my ISY the door status shows as "Barrier 1" and reports as "Open" or "Closed".

I know the configuration is different from yours, but I have it working reliably with ISY which was one of your original questions.

Note that when setting parameter 2/3 to 11 on ZMatter, it does not show as Barrier and Open or Closed like it did before on old ZWave. Instead it is shown as a Binary Door/Windows Sensor with On or Off. I used to have on Polisy with ZooZ USB and it did in fact show Open/Closed before as you said, but I noticed that it does not with ZMatter. Not really a big deal as long as it works I supposed.