Cannot Trigger Scene or Program When Insteon Keypad Button Set to "Toggle Off"

PeterP

Hey guys - I tried searching for this but couldn't find any answers on the forum.

I created both a scene and a program that are (obviously) triggered when a respective button on my Insteon Keypad is pushed. However when I set the button to "toggle off" (so that the keypad light doesn't stay on), neither the scene or program are triggered on the corresponding button.

It seems to me like the "if" trigger (eg. in a program: 'Switch.A' is switched On, or 'Switch.A' Status is On; in a scene the switch being the Controller) is not actually being triggered/activated.

Is there a special condition that I need to program for "toggle off" buttons vs default toggle buttons?

Thank you!

You must mean you have the button set for "non-toggle Off".   In that case pressing the button sends "off" (or "fast off" if double clicked).  

If the button is a scene controller all members of the scene will get an "Off" (or "Fast off") when the button is pressed (or double pressed.

You said you created a scene and a program?  Please tell us more about what each does, do you need both?  

If you want to set a Scene ON from an "Non-toggle off" button you can do that....

If

Button.B is switched off
or Button.B is switched Fast Off

then

Set Scene1 'On'

else

(nothing)

Another way to turn off a buttons light after a program has run is the make a new scene, with just that button as the only member... Button.B.Scene...  Then do something like:

If
       Button.B is switched on
  or Button.B is switched FastOn

then

....do something...
       ....do something else...
       Set Button.B.Scene "off"

Yes, you're right, sorry, it's set to Non-Toggle [Off].

I have a scene right now set to Switch.B (Action = on) which is *not* being triggered when I push B. The scene itself is simple, it just turns on two Hue bulbs.

To troubleshoot this using a program instead of a scene, I created a program which has an "If" Condition of Switch.B is switched On, then it also turns on the Hue bulbs, and that does not get triggered either.

However, if I change to Toggle mode, either the scene or program works.

So I'm trying to figure out if I need a different trigger if the button is set to Non-Toggle [Off], or if I'm doing something else wrong.

Thank you!

50 minutes ago, PeterP said:

Yes, you're right, sorry, it's set to Non-Toggle [Off].

I have a scene right now set to Switch.B (Action = on) which is *not* being triggered when I push B. The scene itself is simple, it just turns on two Hue bulbs.

To troubleshoot this using a program instead of a scene, I created a program which has an "If" Condition of Switch.B is switched On, then it also turns on the Hue bulbs, and that does not get triggered either.

However, if I change to Toggle mode, either the scene or program works.

So I'm trying to figure out if I need a different trigger if the button is set to Non-Toggle [Off], or if I'm doing something else wrong.

Thank you!

If the switch is set to non toggle off then it's sending the off command so your program wouldn't work

Just so I'm clear - if a button is set to Non-Toggle [Off] the action of pushing the button triggers 'switched off'?

Wouldn't 'switched off' be triggered the whole time, since... it's off?

And if the answer to that question is that switched off is only triggered when it's on then off, I noticed that in Non-Toggle [Off] mode, the light flashes twice (as in: off, on, off, on, off). Does that mean the program will be triggered twice?

5 minutes ago, PeterP said:

Just so I'm clear - if a button is set to Non-Toggle [Off] the action of pushing the button triggers 'switched off'?

Wouldn't 'switched off' be triggered the whole time, since... it's off?

And if the answer to that question is that switched off is only triggered when it's on then off, I noticed that in Non-Toggle [Off] mode, the light flashes twice (as in: off, on, off, on, off). Does that mean the program will be triggered twice?

No it does not. Thats just it's behavior to let you know it's being triggered. If nothing happened, a person may not be certain if it triggered. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
21 minutes ago, PeterP said:

OK. Then how do I write a program that's triggered by the button being pressed in Non-Toggle [Off] mode? 😅

That doesn't make any sense. You want to trigger your devices to turn off but you want the same button to turn on....

Why not just use the regular toggle mode and you'd have it turn on and off. 

If you don't want the light to stay on, just add a line to your program that turn it off after a second or 2

Edited by lilyoyo1

OK... maybe I'm going about this all wrong. 😅

The main reason I changed the button to 'non-toggle off' mode is that I want that button to trigger a scene or program but then not remain lit. (The main reason for that is, let's say the scene triggers two Hue bulbs turning on to 50% for an "evening" scene, but then I subsequently use a different control, like Hue Tap, to turn off those bulbs. The button will stay on.)

The two ways I thought to resolve this are:

1. Add a step in the program to wait a few seconds then turn off the light by setting a scene where that button is set to off (this would only work if it's a program, I couldn't find a way to turn off the button with only a scene).
  2. Use the 'non-toggle off' mode since that itself turns off the light after flashing twice.

No good?

On 3/7/2023 at 12:43 PM, PeterP said:

It seems to me like the "if" trigger (eg. in a program: 'Switch.A' is switched On, or 'Switch.A' Status is On;

"Status" is an event caused by a state change (ON to OFF or OFF to ON).  "Switched ON" is an event caused by a command being sent (ON command sent).

For an IF looking at STATUS to trigger, the device being monitored must have been in one state and then change to the state you're monitoring.  For an IF looking at SWITCHED to trigger, the device must send the command you're monitoring.

You've set your button to non-toggle OFF which means it will always be in the OFF state.  So looking at STATUS will never trigger a program.  The button does, however, send an OFF command every time you push it, so looking for "SWITCHED OFF" will trigger a program.

Edited by kclenden
  • Like 1