Support Thread: 5.3.4 (ISY994)

Techman

• 1 month later...

--edit--

fixed, for some reason i had wrong jlnp file

------

I just updated from an 5.3.1 partly to try and fix the UI mismatch.
that didn't work

i have tried clearing in the java control panel etc

i have forgotten how to fix mismatch...

image.png.8d89d763a42b499aced45c60dc7cc805.png

Edited by Scyto
i am idiot
3 minutes ago, jim_ said:

Un-able to download 5.3.4 firmware today

I either get site cannot be reached or the transfer fails a few seconds after transfer starts

https://isy.universal-devices.com/updates/Insteon_UD994/5.3.4/insteon_5.3.4.zip

The link isn't working for me right now either.    if it persists you might want to contact support@universal-devices.com

@Michel Kohanim if you see this... the firmware download links appear to not be working.

When I query my ISY to show the Zwave network my Zwave Repeater is no longer listed as a Repeater.
It was correctly listed in 5.3.2 (i skipped 5.3.3)

the query is done
via menu Node->Zwave->Show Info in Event Viewer->Network.
or the Rest call: /rest/zwave/node/show/network 

From Events Log:

[ZW-SHOW         ]
[ZW-SHOW         ] Last working route from ISY to Node   9 - Hall Light
[ZW-SHOW         ]    - Node   6 - Crawlspace Switch
[ZW-SHOW         ]    - Node   5 - ZW 005 Repeater
[ZW-SHOW         ]
[ZW-SHOW         ] Node   9 - Hall Light has the following neighbors
[ZW-SHOW         ]    - Repeater - Node   3 - Bedroom_Light
[ZW-SHOW         ]    -          - Node   5 - ZW 005 Repeater
[ZW-SHOW         ]

Note "Node 5" not showing as a Repeater 
The device is a "Aeotec Range Extender 7"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081G97TLB )

Edited by evilpete
add hardware info

Just upgraded my ISY-994i ZS (the version able to link wirelessly to my encrypted SoCal Edison SmartMeter) from 4.9.0 to 5.3.4.

Initially, after the upgrade, device control and power monitoring worked (I use a docker-built Node Red-based polling and graphing dashboard to perform the monitoring), which included Alexa integration, but none of my programs were working.

I finally noticed (I'm color blind, so some critical graphics "hints" just don't register with me) that under Programs->Summary in the Admin Console, all my programs were listed as unsaved.  I went into Programs->Details and clicked "Save Changes" and after a few minutes of saving all my programs, they all started to work again.

I'm finally upgrading so that I can use the UD Mobile app - otherwise 4.9.0 worked fine.  Getting the UD Mobile app took a little rejiggering, only because I had tried to get it to work with 4.9.0, so I had to remove the old config and update/login anew, etc.  But, now I have a few favorited buttons to do things that always took way too much time and too many button presses to do previously through the UI.

I can't say anything operates faster or more smoothly (or more buggy) yet, but so far things that should be working seem to be working.

Next steps will include cobbling something together to get Zwave device control (probably requires a Polisy or an RPi with Home Assistant and a Zwave dongle - I can't integrate Zwave directly into my ISY because the Zigbee and PLM occupy all the available interfaces).

And... I think I'm considering trying to use Graphana or something other than Node Red for graphing/presenting the power stuff.  Node Red can get everything working  - get the data from the 994i, munch on it, and cause things to happen (via the 994i) based on programmatic circumstances - but I can't get Node Red to generate data presentations as pretty as I'd like, and that in turn hobbles how useful it is to me.  I guess we'll see.

I seem to remember that the 5.x firmware also opens up more power utility data fields to access... I'll probably still use Node Red to explore that space.

In any event, if anyone else upgrades but doesn't have functioning programs, don't forget to Save Changes before you start testing functionality.

There still are issues with the ISY Finder/Launcher. I'm working on a new computer, so no cache issues, clean install of Java. When I launch the finder, it comes back and says admin console is not compatible, it is at 5.0.16C, and my ISY is at 5.3.4. I rolled back to 5.3.0 and get the same message. I can connect via the web, but I shouldn't have to when I am on the network. Is there a sure fire, guaranteed to work fix?

@dpmenzer While you say it's a new computer and clean install of Java are you downloading the launcher new or trying to use a previously downloaded file that you're bringing over from an old computer? It's always advisable to download a fresh copy and go through the Java Cache clearing process as first steps of troubleshooting admin console issues.

Make sure you download the launcher - found here: https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

This will allow you to run matching user interface with the firmware your ISY994 is running. 

What OS (Win/Mac) are you running? Make sure you clear your java cache (even though you say it's not an issue...since you've tried installing something make sure you CLEAR it before trying again.

Make sure you check all 3 boxes in the process.

image.png

Then download the launcher and run it. It should put the ISY Launcher on the desktop. 

The above is all assuming Windows. If you're on a MAC then there have been some issues reported about the launcher not working. I don't use the MAC OS so can't help directly, but should ultimately work the same. So let us know if you're Windows or Mac user if you don't get it sorted out this time.

• Like 2

@dpmenzer I agree with @Geddy it sounds like you brought an old copy of admin.jnlp over to your new computer.

If you're running windows, the best thing to do is use The Launcher. https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp The first time the launcher is runs it will install an icon named "ISY Launcher" on the windows desktop.  Clicking that will bring up "ISY Finder" which should locate ISY's on the local network.  Selecting one of those the will bring up a dialog:image.png.87d1a2e08241c53b46b7a0c0c89b53d4.png with 994 hardware the best choice to pick is Admin Console (Cloud).   The only time you would want to pick the (Lan) option is if this was a remote Lan WITHOUT an Internet connection.  The theory behind the Launcher is that it downloads a new copy of the admin console everytime... thus ending the version mismatch issues, the Launcher will always get the correct version admin console.  When it's installed there's actually no need to go thru the clear java cache procedure during a firmware upgrade.

Same Instructions generally apply for MacOS... Launcher should work.  That said, some (but not most) select Mac users have difficulty with Launcher, I'm not a Mac user and don't know why.. I suspect a setting they have or possibly some software conflict.  In that case the best answer is to download the admin console from the ISY itself using http://<IP.of.the.ISY>/admin.jnlp place that file on the desktop and use it.  This is a static copy of the admin console and will need to be replaced manually anytime the firmware of the ISY is replaced.

• Like 1