Support Thread: 5.0.16C (ISY994)

Athlon

Thank you Paul for responding to my panic request!

I finally got it by trying original password and my new password... The solution was to use admin/(the new password)  when I thought I was changing both the user name and the password... in reality the user name was not changed and remained admin, but the password DID change to the new password but the user name could not be changed from admin to a different name.  Whew! Scary!

• Like 1

Regarding the prerequisite:  "You must use the 5.0.9 Admin Console or greater to upgrade to this release (5.0.16)"...

What is the best upgrade path/process to go from 4.7.3 to the 5.0.16(RC) release?  Do I need to upgrade to 5.0.9 and then to 5.0.16?   Installation is Insteon only (no Z-wave).

Thanks, much!

Edited by dex

Maybe I got lucky. I just went from 4.7.3  to 5.0.16. Not being too sure. I set the users name and password to the default admin admin. I did have all my Programs (not Scenes as posted earlier)  go to Enabled and took me awhile to figure out how to properly disable some of them.

Edited by Brian H
Correct Information Programs not Scenes
  • Like 1

My theme or font size reverts back to default without making changes in the ISY.

The question is, where is this config info stored?

On the computer that was used to make the changes or is it on the ISY SD card.

I don't see any "save option" on the menu., but it does say that the changes will appear after a restart, which it does.

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

Maybe I got lucky. I just went from 4.7.3  to 5.0.16. Not being too sure. I set the users name and password to the default admin admin. I did have all my Scenes go to Enabled and took me awhile to figure out how to properly disable some of them.

Not sure what you're referring to, scenes don't have an enable / disable option in 4.7.3

just went from 5.0.15  to 5.0.16 RC. All (mostly) seems OK.

The only victim device is my Trane zwave Thermostat. I'm not able to control or get status from it anymore. A query results in the "Unsupported Message" error reported above.

I wonder if 658 has changed something with regards to thermostats that may have broken this:

0000658 - ISY Assumes cool & heat setpoints are available when setpoints are supported by a Z-Wave device

0000669 - Add nwi/nwe learn mode options to ISY (only changes how ISY itself is added/removed from a Z-Wave network)

I'm interested by 669. I assume this is the client side (ISY can now do a NWI as a secondary controller to a 3rd party remote primary). Hopefully, this is step one to ISY supporting NWI for devices trying to enroll

Edited by MWareman
  • Like 1

Here is a bug for me.… I login as admin.  go to file/set UserID/password/change the user id to Rich/enter new password/confirm both.  Then go to file/set user ID --- I would expect to see the new ID...However it appears as nothing is changed.

Can I go back to 4.7.3 from 5.0.16?  Perhaps I can solve my problem with ID and password by restoring to 4.7.3  (Regarding the prerequisite:  "You must use the 5.0.9 Admin Console or greater to upgrade to this release (5.0.16)").. and then going to 5.0.9 then to 5.0.16

(Edit: Michel did reply to my previous post about the problem I describe in this post. Please see my full reply here:

)I did the upgrade to 5.0.16, but I suffered the same recurring problem, which I have reported in the past, but has never been fixed: I run a laptop connected to a 4k monitor. I would submit this is an increasingly common configuration for your target audience. When I launch the ISY launcher, it opens the app off screen, both off the 4k monitor and off the laptop monitor. The app waits for a user ID and a password, and it took me a long, long time to figure out what was going on, since nothing is showing on my screens. I run other Java-based programs (FreeCAD, PrusaSlicer, etc.), and none of them have a problem like this (and none of them ask me to clear the Java cache, either). What are you doing wrong? You will never be accepted by mainstream users with unaddressed problems like this. Sorry for my displayed frustration, but it's getting old.

Edited by JacktheRipper
Answered in another post
11 hours ago, Techman said:

Not sure what you're referring to, scenes don't have an enable / disable option in 4.7.3

All this extra features and methods to accomplish a task are not familiar to me. So I expect to be asking long time users here for assistance.

My bad. I was talking about some Programs being Disabled and all defaulting to Enabled when I updated

Edited by Brian H
Correct my posts information
3 hours ago, JacktheRipper said:

(Edit: Michel did reply to my previous post about the problem I describe in this post. Please see my full reply here:

)I did the upgrade to 5.0.16, but I suffered the same recurring problem, which I have reported in the past, but has never been fixed: I run a laptop connected to a 4k monitor. I would submit this is an increasingly common configuration for your target audience. When I launch the ISY launcher, it opens the app off screen, both off the 4k monitor and off the laptop monitor. The app waits for a user ID and a password, and it took me a long, long time to figure out what was going on, since nothing is showing on my screens. I run other Java-based programs (FreeCAD, PrusaSlicer, etc.), and none of them have a problem like this (and none of them ask me to clear the Java cache, either). What are you doing wrong? You will never be accepted by mainstream users with unaddressed problems like this. Sorry for my displayed frustration, but it's getting old.

Try this fix for your 4K monitor:

If the font is still too small (especially on 4K monitors/Surface Computers), and for Windows only:

• Right mouse click on Admin Console icon on your desktop
  • Select Properties from the menu
  • Click on the Compatibility tab
  • Check Run the program in compatibility mode for checkbox
  • Choose Window Vista (Service Pack 2) or Windows 7
  • Choose Override high DPI settings
  • Choose Scaling performed by "System"
  • Click on the Apply button

3 hours ago, JacktheRipper said:

). What are you doing wrong? You will never be accepted by mainstream users with unaddressed problems like this. Sorry for my displayed frustration, but it's getting old.

Advanced systems such as the ISY and homeseer will probably never be accepted by mainstream users as the avg person isn't willing to invest the time and effort that it takes for these systems.

With that said, hopefully they can get display compatibility issues worked out as it does effect users

12 hours ago, MWareman said:

The only victim device is my Trane zwave Thermostat. I'm not able to control or get status from it anymore. A query results in the "Unsupported Message" error reported above.

I wonder if 658 has changed something with regards to thermostats that may have broken this:

I'm interested by 669. I assume this is the client side (ISY can now do a NWI as a secondary controller to a 3rd party remote primary). Hopefully, this is step one to ISY supporting NWI for devices trying to enroll

Can you please try this again with the event viewer at level 3 and DM the output to me.  Also, please DM me the node definition of the thermostat by using a browser and going to the following URL

<your_isy>/rest/zwave/node/<thermostat_node_ddress>/def/get

I just upgraded from 4.7.3 which went without issues.  However, I'm trying to reconcile my enabled programs and the admin console will not allow me to disable any programs.  I can delete them, but nothing happens if I select disable.

Update:  I found that if I clicked on Save Changes and waited for it to complete, I could then disable programs

Edited by kayotte
New information

Any chance we'll see some of the issues with backlight settings for switches fixed in a future release?  For example, if I attempt to set the backlight level manually for a single dimmer switch (in this case, a 2744D), that value shows up as the current backlight value for all of my other dimmer switches. Likewise, if I set the backlight value for a single on/off switch, that value shows up as the current value for all of my on/off switches. And I'm pretty sure the value displayed in the backlight fields in the admin console are not what the switches are actually set at. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, dwengrovitz said:

Any chance we'll see some of the issues with backlight settings for switches fixed in a future release?  For example, if I attempt to set the backlight level manually for a single dimmer switch (in this case, a 2744D), that value shows up as the current backlight value for all of my other dimmer switches. Likewise, if I set the backlight value for a single on/off switch, that value shows up as the current value for all of my on/off switches. And I'm pretty sure the value displayed in the backlight fields in the admin console are not what the switches are actually set at. 

+1

1 hour ago, Chris Jahn said:

If you right+click on a Z-Wave node to get the popup menu, and then select Options, you will see these new options.  Each of them has a help button describing in more detail what they do.

Yes, I saw that.  BTW, thanks very much for doing that level of help/documentation in the interface.  It really does help.  But I was looking for an example of when I might need to use these options; is there a specific device that needs these?  Purely out of curiosity.  

7 minutes ago, blueman2 said:

Yes, I saw that.  BTW, thanks very much for doing that level of help/documentation in the interface.  It really does help.  But I was looking for an example of when I might need to use these options; is there a specific device that needs these?  Purely out of curiosity.  

They are used depending on what the Manufacturer of the device implemented without the need for custom code in the ISY (i.e. detecting a button press).  For example, although many do not, some thermostats always send status whenever anything changes and therefore do not need to be queried after ISY runs a command.

• Like 1

5.0.14 to 5.0.16 RC1 upgrade seems to be working (waiting for it to finish writing to devices on startup), guess i should try including that lock again that has never been includable by ISY (but has by other controllers) when hopping through other devices.... maybe that finally got fixed after 3 years?

(edit: woah i haven't been here in so long my vanity footer is way out of date!  good news the ISY just kept on trucking during that time!)

Edited by Scyto
23 hours ago, MWareman said:

False alarm - my Thermostat came back - I just had to wait....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

Can you please try this again with the event viewer at level 3 and DM the output to me.  Also, please DM me the node definition of the thermostat by using a browser and going to the following URL

<your_isy>/rest/zwave/node/<thermostat_node_ddress>/def/get

Chris - false alarm - sorry. The thermostat came back - I just had to wait. I had checked a couple of hours after upgrading and there was no data (hence my post). Next day - it's back reporting normally. Not sure why the delayed response.

• Like 1

0000669 - Add nwi/nwe learn mode options to ISY (only changes how ISY itself is added/removed from a Z-Wave network)

I'm very interested in 669 as well. Will this let me control my Nexia thermostat, which is a zwave controller, with the ISY? I've tried connecting them before with no success.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL with Tapatalk