Support Thread: 5.0.16C (ISY994)

Athlon

Updated successfully from v5.0.14.

12 hours later, no problems with PolyGlot, c/w  ecobee NS, WC8 self push variables, CAO Tag kumoapps self pushed variables, NR controlled WiFi items. I have heartbeat monitors on all input mechanisms.

Went smooth as a baby's bum. No hiccoughs.

Thanks UDI!!!

On 10/13/2019 at 7:52 AM, asbril said:

Indeed an interesting question. Is this for older Zwave devices that don't come with standard status update? Currently I have a program that queries my older Zwave devices at a set interval. If I use this new setting, can  that program  be removed?

Chris, when you have a minute, can you please look at this question ? Thanks

Chris, when you have a minute, can you please look at this question ? Thanks

If I read the details correctly - this is for the situation when ISY asks a device to change state. Some send the new state automatically, many do not. Normally, ISY queries after sending a command to get the new state. This option stops that query for those devices where it’s not necessary.

If the device does not send status updates when operated locally - your programs will likely still be needed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:33 AM, Chris Jahn said:

RE:  5.0.16 RC1.

Hi Chris,

Can you confirm that there's a documented  global issue setting the backlights on the devices. i.e. if you change the backlight on one device it changes the backlight on all your devices. 

1 hour ago, MWareman said:

If I read the details correctly - this is for the situation when ISY asks a device to change state. Some send the new state automatically, many do not. Normally, ISY queries after sending a command to get the new state. This option stops that query for those devices where it’s not necessary.

If the device does not send status updates when operated locally - your programs will likely still be needed

This is correct, the ISY makes an assumption about whether a device needs to be automatically queried and you can override that assumption using the new option.  Newer Z-Wave devices tend to automatically send status, but its really up to the manufacturer in most cases.

• Like 1

I have a problem with my Insteon thermostat. They are not reporting temp in Fahrenheit (F) as they are setup. They are showing the temp with the Celsius symbol. My Z-Wave thermostats are reporting correctly with the F symbol. I changed my settings to British imperial and also to US but the same symbol appears on the Insteon thermostats. I did not have this problem using the previous firmware 5.0.15A

> "may require a lot of manual intervention including verifying scenes, programs and program settings are correct." (emphasis in original)

With dozens of lights, sensors, switches and the resulting permutations in large numbers of scenes and programs, this is a LOT of work and has prevented me from upgrading from 4.x.  Is there a timeline for an automated import tool to make this a lot closer to easy?

Parsing the files should be straight-forward, despite the complete change in formats.

If you are going to punt on a parser, then I guess I'll have to expect futzing for days, with a family crabbing at my "StupidHome".  And if a month later a tool is released that does 90% of the work, I'll be crabbing.

No one likes crabby.

22 minutes ago, paulgrace said:

> "may require a lot of manual intervention including verifying scenes, programs and program settings are correct." (emphasis in original)

With dozens of lights, sensors, switches and the resulting permutations in large numbers of scenes and programs, this is a LOT of work and has prevented me from upgrading from 4.x.  Is there a timeline for an automated import tool to make this a lot closer to easy?

Parsing the files should be straight-forward, despite the complete change in formats.

If you are going to punt on a parser, then I guess I'll have to expect futzing for days, with a family crabbing at my "StupidHome".  And if a month later a tool is released that does 90% of the work, I'll be crabbing.

No one likes crabby.

There are tons of posts from people who had gone through the process of upgrading. It really isn't that bad. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paulgrace said:

No one likes crabby.

Welcome to the UDI forums!!

I converted years ago when v5.0.1 came out. I had to correct maybe two programs out of hundreds and IIRC two scenes. There is a built in import tool but there are some unresolvable logics. They are typically marked clearly by yellow icons and easy to find. IIRC mine were all correct but flagged anyway for me to look at. I only had to save them back to clean up the transfers.

If you like creating programs you will like the new abilities to save device levels and use decimal variables.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paulgrace said:

No one likes crabby.

I no longer remember my experience when I moved to 5.01, but I don't think that I had big issues. What I can tell you is that once you move to 5.0.16 you will never look back.

@rahnee did you get the above issue resolved with the Schlage lock,  I am planning on upgrading from .14 to .16 this weekend and would like to know beforehand if I should wait or if the issue is resolvable if encountered.

Thanks

Tom

16 hours ago, Techman said:

Hi Chris,

Can you confirm that there's a documented  global issue setting the backlights on the devices. i.e. if you change the backlight on one device it changes the backlight on all your devices. 

Hi Techman,

We haven't been able to recreate this, can you please provide the exact steps to do so.  In looking at the firmware, I don't know how it could update other devices.

There may be some confusion though because we do not provide the current backlight level as a status value (similar to the current light level, on level, and ramp rate for example).  Therefore, when you see the backlight command with a selection box for the command parameter beside it, the default selection is not the current backlight level.  We may be able to add backlight as a status value, and that we do have on the list.

15 hours ago, asbril said:

Chris, to be double sure, this part of MWareman's comment is also true ?

Yes, you would still need the programs.  Just be clear, you don't have to use the option, it just gives you the opportunity to reduce some Z-Wave traffic if the query is not needed.  There's really no harm in doing the query even if it is not needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have now updated two ISYs (1 regular, 1 pro). The one with the broken PLM still has a broken PLM (I was holding out hope that the issue would go away!). I'll do more testing at the end of the month when I'm at that house. The one that has a functioning PLM seems to have taken the update (from 5.0.14) well enough. 

But, I think I may have found a bug...

If my notification does not have body text the SMS is not received. Normally, the message comes through as Subject / Body. There's no separate line, just two things smashed together. So, if the Body is empty, I never receive the message. Please let me know if you want me to do more testing.

3 hours ago, Chris Jahn said:

Hi Techman,

We haven't been able to recreate this, can you please provide the exact steps to do so.  In looking at the firmware, I don't know how it could update other devices.

There may be some confusion though because we do not provide the current backlight level as a status value (similar to the current light level, on level, and ramp rate for example).  Therefore, when you see the backlight command with a selection box for the command parameter beside it, the default selection is not the current backlight level.  We may be able to add backlight as a status value, and that we do have on the list.

Hi Chris,

I haven't installed 5.0.16 yet, but I saw an earlier post that mentioned a possible issue with the backlights and wasn't sure if it was an isolated issue or a documented one.

23 minutes ago, oh2bnMaine said:

But, I think I may have found a bug...

If my notification does not have body text the SMS is not received. Normally, the message comes through as Subject / Body. There's no separate line, just two things smashed together. So, if the Body is empty, I never receive the message. Please let me know if you want me to do more testing.

ISY Notifications require that both the Subject and the Body be populated, This applies to both SMS and Emails

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Techman said:

ISY Notifications require that both the Subject and the Body be populated, This applies to both SMS and Emails

In my opinion, if that is the case, then we should get a message telling us it is not allowed when we create/edit the object.

Still, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll start using EOM as the body in those cases. :-)

On 10/14/2019 at 6:20 AM, JacktheRipper said:

(Edit: Michel did reply to my previous post about the problem I describe in this post. Please see my full reply here:

)I did the upgrade to 5.0.16, but I suffered the same recurring problem, which I have reported in the past, but has never been fixed: I run a laptop connected to a 4k monitor. I would submit this is an increasingly common configuration for your target audience. When I launch the ISY launcher, it opens the app off screen, both off the 4k monitor and off the laptop monitor. The app waits for a user ID and a password, and it took me a long, long time to figure out what was going on, since nothing is showing on my screens. I run other Java-based programs (FreeCAD, PrusaSlicer, etc.), and none of them have a problem like this (and none of them ask me to clear the Java cache, either). What are you doing wrong? You will never be accepted by mainstream users with unaddressed problems like this. Sorry for my displayed frustration, but it's getting old.

I am experiencing something similar. I am not using 4k monitors, but I have two 2560x1440 displays connected to a desktop. When I launch the ISY finder app, the first window is always being placed partially off screen on the far left of the left monitor. This happens even though I always subsequently move the finder app over to the center of the right monitor, which is the primary display. While a portion of the finder app window is being displayed, it is definitely incorrect behavior for part of the window to be located completely off-screen. (When I invoke the Admin Console, it does seem to always open the userid/password window in the location that the prior Admin Console session was located.) I am runing ISY 5.0.16 and Java Version 8 Update 231. 

On 10/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, TomL said:

@rahnee did you get the above issue resolved with the Schlage lock,  I am planning on upgrading from .14 to .16 this weekend and would like to know beforehand if I should wait or if the issue is resolvable if encountered.

Thanks

Tom

Not sure it is actually related to the update...everything is working as expected however I am unable to query the lock options.  If I change one of them on the screen (after the error) it appears to update properly.

@Michel Kohanim  @Chris Jahn never noticed this before the .16 update however I am not sure it is directly related.  

I have a 3 gang box.  There are 3 Insteon devices in it.  2477D Switchlinc Dimmer v.45, 2334-2 8 Button keypadlinc v.45 and a 2334-2 5 Button Keypadlinc v.45.    The two keypadlincs do NOT directly control a load.  The 8 button is purely a status light display of other device/scenes throughout the house. The 5 button controls the fan via a 2475F Fanlic v.45.  The 2477D controls 4 can lights directly.  All devices are brand new as this is a new install.   

When clicking the Switchlinc dimmer to turn on the overhead can lights in the room (all LED, 4 x 11W Sunco Bulbs) the Light on the fan (Physical fan) flashes.  This is only when turning it on.  If I use voice activation for the turning on of the device, the same flash occurs.  

I have tried re-writing all the devices without luck.  I have not reset and restored any of them.  I have checked the wiring on the devices and everything looks good.

I do not remember this issue on 15a which was running the same devices for the past month.

The screenshot shows the traffic. The only devices in the log are the 2477D and the PLM.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.12.07 PM.jpg

19 hours ago, rahnee said:

@Michel Kohanim  @Chris Jahn never noticed this before the .16 update however I am not sure it is directly related.  

I have a 3 gang box.  There are 3 Insteon devices in it.  2477D Switchlinc Dimmer v.45, 2334-2 8 Button keypadlinc v.45 and a 2334-2 5 Button Keypadlinc v.45.    The two keypadlincs do NOT directly control a load.  The 8 button is purely a status light display of other device/scenes throughout the house. The 5 button controls the fan via a 2475F Fanlic v.45.  The 2477D controls 4 can lights directly.  All devices are brand new as this is a new install.   

When clicking the Switchlinc dimmer to turn on the overhead can lights in the room (all LED, 4 x 11W Sunco Bulbs) the Light on the fan (Physical fan) flashes.  This is only when turning it on.  If I use voice activation for the turning on of the device, the same flash occurs.  

I have tried re-writing all the devices without luck.  I have not reset and restored any of them.  I have checked the wiring on the devices and everything looks good.

I do not remember this issue on 15a which was running the same devices for the past month.

The screenshot shows the traffic. The only devices in the log are the 2477D and the PLM.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.12.07 PM.jpg

I have now done a reset on the fanlinc and all the keypads and switchlincs and restored them.  The issue continues.  @bmercier any ideas?

3 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Factory reset them again and turn them on before adding them to the isy to see if the problem still happens. 

Also try a different brand of bulb in your fan

after reset and before I setup the fanlinc the issue does not occur.  The fan bulb has never changed and the flash is when a different switch turns on.  I am able to reproduce it, sometimes, turning the fan onto low/med/high..the light flashes.  Seems like it could be fanlinc...but I was really hoping to not have to take it out of the canopy.  Not sure I have another one around...need to look.

I finally decided to upgrade to 5.0.16 and am having a couple really annoying issues. Admin console is really slow but it is only for Z-wave devices. Even something simple like right clicking a device to pull up the menu to rename/etc. is super slow. This happens on any Z-wave device regardless of manufacturer. Insteon devices respond quickly in admin console though. I have tried the Java thing by clearing cache and increasing amount of memory it uses but it has not helped with this issue. Also I had programs for my ZooZ ZEN 21 switches that I used to mimic a 3-way switch even though both switches were wired as single pole to the same load source and those programs do not work any more after upgrading. I came from 4.7.3 if that matters at all. Everything else seems to work well other than these 2 things. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

I have the ISY994i Pro with Z-Wave and an Insteon PLM running the firmware "Insteon_UD994 v5.0.16". Thanks in advance!