After firmware upgrade for ISY994, lights going on without a schedule or program

ricke
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I upgraded my firmware for my ISY994 to version v.5.3.4 a few months ago so that I could support the UD Mobile app and since I did that there are several lights that go on every day at the same time and none of those lights have a schedule/program created to turn them on at those times of day.  I cannot figure out how to stop them from turning on.  Those lights are also included within scenes that are part of programs I have that turn then on and off at sunset/sunrise.  The programed times are still working correctly and will turn those lights on or off at the scheduled times.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this and figure out how commands are going out to turn those lights on?

Thanks,

Rick

• Solution
2 hours ago, ricke said:

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this and figure out how commands are going out to turn those lights on?

Are they turning on/off at the same time every day or randomly? If they're at the same time then just before you think they're to turn on open Admin Console and open event viewer and set to level 3. That will show traffic that happens during that time. 

Prior to that you can review the "Summary" tab of the programs tab and see if any programs have triggered around the time those lights change. You can sort the summary tab based on "Last Run Time" and see what might have run about the time these lights randomly turned on. If no program triggered then it's a scene triggering the lights.

Next thing is on the lights in admin console see if they are part of any random scenes. You say they're in scenes that are getting turned on/off with a program. Is there another controller of that scene that is causing these lights to come on? Click on the device on admin console and on the right it should say "Membership". See if it is responder to any different scenes. If it is then go to that scene, right click on the device and select "remove from scene". 

Lastly, the best method to resolve this is to factory reset the devices and then set them up again. If they're easy to reach then it should be a simple task. It's possible the lights got manually linked somehow and the ISY994 doesn't know about the manual links. (If none of the above troubleshooting steps help) Some devices have different reset options so best to google search for a user manual for the type of device you're resetting to get the proper method. 

FYI I just Googled for 2477S Dual Band SwitchLinc and found it :image.png

Lots of great tips here and the suggestions by Geddy to check the Status tab for Programs and sure enough I found the programs causing the issue.  I'm not sure why they are kicking in now and not before the upgrade.  Is there a way that I missed to disable/enable and entire Program and not just individual actions within a program?

Thanks!

Rick

2 hours ago, ricke said:

Is there a way that I missed to disable/enable and entire Program and not just individual actions within a program?

As @tlightne said you can set the program to "disabled".  This essentially turns off the "IF" so that any triggers it contains will not cause the program to "fire".  The program can still be launched by another program, and you can still right-click on the program and choose "Run Then" or "Run Else".  If you want to make sure the program doesn't run under any condition, then you'd have to create a folder; set the condition for the folder so that it's FALSE; move the program into the folder.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ricke said:

I'm not sure why they are kicking in now and not before the upgrade.  

If you upgraded from 4.x to 5.3.4 the upgrade probably set all programs to enabled again. It was a long time ago and lots of tips around that update phase made notes of that happening. 

Glad the summary helped sort it out. 

Many have taken to putting disabled programs in a folder or having a character in the name to signify if it’s disabled. Doubt it would happen again, but a step toward watching out for that happening in any future migration stages.

Ok thanks guys.  I'm all sorted out.  I thought for a bit I could just click on a folder containing multiple programs and disable it that way but I see that you can only do it at the program level in the folder.   

Rick

• Like 1

@ricke If you want to disable the folder then set up a folder condition that is ALWAYS false. When a folder is FALSE any programs in that folder do not trigger (consider as though they do not exist). You would not be able to run the "THEN" or "ELSE" of any program in a False folder (either by calling on them from another program or right clicking on the program and running it). 

Folder Conditions are tricky and can cause unintended issues. So use wisely. 

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Scope,_Precedence_and_Execution_Order#Folder_Conditions