how to correctly replace z-wave device?

roberthleeii

How do you correctly replace a z-wave device?

I had a little problem with my polisy and it was down for a couple of days. During that time I factory reset some of my zen32 switches so i could turn my lights on and off. Now that my polisy is working again is there a way to replace them so I don't have to start them as new devices

14 hours ago, TRI0N said:

Did you delete their instances inside Polisy? If not, have you tried update with interview?

TRI0N

i don't know what update with interview means... 

i tried to replace one of the "broken" z-wave device by right clicking on the failed device and replace it in the z-wve menu but that did not work. It deleted the device and did not add the new one....

Since the device was factory reset, you need to exclude or remove in the admin console and then add device in admin console. You will need to put the device in linking mode during both procedures. Also, if device is battery operated, you must keep it awake during both procedures.

1 minute ago, DennisC said:

Since the device was factory reset, you need to exclude or remove in the admin console and then add device in admin console. You will need to put the device in linking mode during both procedures. Also, if device is battery operated, you must keep it awake during both procedures.

thank you, I can do that but I am trying to see if UD can automtically replace the old device with the "new" one so i do not have to re do all of the program and naming of the nodes on each device.

22 minutes ago, roberthleeii said:

i don't know what update with interview means... 

i tried to replace one of the "broken" z-wave device by right clicking on the failed device and replace it in the z-wve menu but that did not work. It deleted the device and did not add the new one....

Right click the device -> Z-Wave -> Synchronize -> Update with Interview

5 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Might need to exclude it first. Seems eisy is protecting the already identified product. These are ZEN32 Scene Controllers.

Edited by TRI0N

1 minute ago, roberthleeii said:

thank you, I can do that but I am trying to see if UD can automtically replace the old device with the "new" one so i do not have to re do all of the program and naming of the nodes on each device.

I don't think that can be done with ZWave.

Others have suggested trying Update with Interview, you can try that, I am not sure it will work because of the factory reset.

You can also try utilizing the top level menu: Zwave - Synchronize - New & Deleted with Interview.

2 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I don't think that can be done with ZWave.

Others have suggested trying Update with Interview, you can try that, I am not sure it will work because of the factory reset.

You can also try utilizing the top level menu: Zwave - Synchronize - New & Deleted with Interview.

In the right click menu/Z-Wave of a device does have "Remove Failed Node" and "Replace Failed Node", but I personally never had to use those. I would assume he will need to "Remove Failed Node" if he can't get them to restore or exclude from eisy before including them again.

TRi0N

1 minute ago, TRI0N said:

In the right click menu/Z-Wave of a device does have "Remove Failed Node" and "Replace Failed Node", but I personally never had to use those. I would assume he will need to "Remove Failed Node" if he can't get them to restore or exclude from eisy before including them again.

TRi0N

He is trying not to do that, as I stated above, it might not work but he can try it.

The Zwave - Synchronize - New & Deleted with Interview is done without issuing an exclude.

The keys that the system set with the device to control it was erased when you factory reset the device so you'll need to remove the device and re-add.

It's akin to encrypting a micro SD card on your phone. If you factory reset the phone, your data can't be recovered on your drive due to the key being broken.

I don't have the new matter board so things may be different now but historically, that's how it's been with multiple types of systems.  

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1