New Win 10, Problem With IoX Launcher

johnmsch
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

Just built a new Win 10 PC and I can't get IoX launcher installed.  Been using the Admin Console on my old Win 7 PC for as long as I can remember and rarely had any issues.  Even upgraded to IoX Launcher last year and the process went perfectly.

I downloaded the latest Java version and when installing, got the prompt to delete the existing version.  I then cleared the Java cache (all 3 check boxes) and went to https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp.  Instead of starting up, I got this prompt:

image.png.c8286c42069f1ea50429e14fe66532a5.png

I saved the file, then double-clicked on it and it opened a new tab in Firefox that only said this:

IoX Launcher Universal Devices This utility finds ISY Services and launches the correct version of the UI/Admin Console/Dashboard IoX Launcher

I waited and waited, but nothing happens.  I've cleared the cache and tried installing about 5 times, but still no joy.

What am I missing here?

Edited by johnmsch

@johnmsch If the Start.jnlp file didn't start when you double clicked it, then Java is either not installed or the wrong version has installed. Verify that you have Java Version 8.x installed. If not uninstall what you have now and install Java 8.x for Windows. I suspect that will fix your issue.

Here's the link to the Java download.

Java Download

• Like 2
  • Solution

@johnmsch in addition to what @kzboray suggests above you might need to associate the .jnlp with Java. 

That can be done 2 ways (in Win10 and Win11).

Right click on start.jnlp and select "properties". Then in the "Opens With" look for "javaws.exe" in the Java\jre1.8.0_361\bin directory. In the properties window it should look this way:

image.png

Otherwise you can go to Windows Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> "Choose default app by file type". Then go down the list until you see .jnlp and make sure it's set to use "Java(TM) Web Launcher".

image.png

My bet would be that you downloaded something other than the "regular" Java that you get when you visit java.com. You might have gone looking for other versions and seen some higher number versions, but those have specific use cases and not what IoX Launcher is designed to work with. Make sure you remove any Java other version you've installed before proceeding!

13 hours ago, kzboray said:

@johnmsch If the Start.jnlp file didn't start when you double clicked it, then Java is either not installed or the wrong version has installed. Verify that you have Java Version 8.x installed. If not uninstall what you have now and install Java 8.x for Windows. I suspect that will fix your issue.

Here's the link to the Java download.

Java Download

Thanks @kzboray, but as I mentioned in the OP, I did download the latest version.

3 hours ago, Geddy said:

@johnmsch in addition to what @kzboray suggests above you might need to associate the .jnlp with Java. 

Wow, now I feel like a complete maroon, the answer was right in front of my eyes.  After 50+ years of software development, I can't believe I missed something so basic.

When I did the download of start.jnlp, and as you can see in my screenshot in the OP, the file was indeed associated with Firefox as noted by the icon in front of it.  Once I associated it with Java, the launcher worked.  DOH!

The only issue was when I started it up, it could not find my ISY.  Rather than wasting more time trying to figure that out, I just added the entry and now I'm in business.  What piece is missing that would  have allowed the new Launcher from finding my ISY?

Thanks guys for your responses.  Always appreciate the help we all get from you guys!!!

• Like 1

Glad the file association fixed that issue...as to...

39 minutes ago, johnmsch said:

What piece is missing that would  have allowed the new Launcher from finding my ISY?

This is more network related than anything else. Sometimes the finder will find it right away, but other times something just doesn't work right. I usually have to "refresh" and it will find it most of the time. Typically IoX Finder window will always find my eisy at the local IP address. I have to manually add the eisy.local address, but once it is in there it keeps it for quite a while.

Since you added it does it return the next time that you run IoX Launcher and IoX Finder window opens? If not, and you are local it could be a network setting not allowing the device to announce itself or the computer just doesn't get a reply when it is searching for devices on the network. Make sure in Windows 10 that the network is a "private" network and the computer is findable (or however Microsoft states that on Private Networks). 

What device are you using? Since you mentioned using admin console on Win7 machine I assume you're connecting to an ISY994. That was more flaky depending on network router I used at the time. Polisy and eisy seem to have better connection history (for my own network at least). 

But now that you have added it the address should always show...at least until you clear the Java cache and run start.jnlp again (and note, that clearing Java cache doesn't reset that file association so you shouldn't have to go through that step again).