PG3(x) Newbie - Why should I be interested in PG3(x)

I am new to PG3(x) since I upgraded to an eisy from an ISY that decided to die. I am just curious why I should be interested in the features of PG3(x). I looked at several of the Node Servers that are available. Many of them are related to devices I have installed in my home (Ecobee thermostat, Rachio sprinkler controller, Ring security devices, SolarEdge inverter, ...). I currently access all these devices through the apps that are recommended to be installed during the installation process. So, I am just curious what these Node Servers provide beyond the app features. 

Please accept my apologies for what might appear to be a dumb question to many of you. 

Thank

11 minutes ago, j.rieff said:

I am new to PG3(x) since I upgraded to an eisy from an ISY that decided to die. I am just curious why I should be interested in the features of PG3(x). I looked at several of the Node Servers that are available. Many of them are related to devices I have installed in my home (Ecobee thermostat, Rachio sprinkler controller, Ring security devices, SolarEdge inverter, ...). I currently access all these devices through the apps that are recommended to be installed during the installation process. So, I am just curious what these Node Servers provide beyond the app features. 

Please accept my apologies for what might appear to be a dumb question to many of you. 

Thank

If you're satisfied with operating your house the way you currently do then you pg3x would'nt be of interest. 

If you want the benefit of integrating your devices into 1 ecosystem in order to  automate and integrate with other devices then it becomes a necessity 

Edited by lilyoyo1

I currently have the Ecobee and Rachio node servers and used to have Ring (before I got rid of the doorbell) - Honestly, there is not much to do with these 3 - the most useful, for me, is that I have a sprinkler zone that I use to refill my pool and it's controlled via the Rachio node server using programs that I wrote (that factor in temperature - Weatherbit Node Server).  For the Ecobee, I just send myself a push notification if someone adjusts a thermostat.  I can't remember if or how I used the Ring - I have an outdoor Z-Wave motion sensor that tells me if someone is at the front door.  The most useful node servers for me are the Occupancy (via the ISY portal) and the Envisalink DSC - I use these to see if someone is at home and if there is motion inside the house - one example of how I use these are that I can get a notification if no family members are at home and a door opens, or motion is detected in the house.  Also, a combination of the Harmony Hub, Hue Emulator and Virtual node servers allow my Harmony remotes to turn lights and fans on and off using the dedicated home control buttons.

19 hours ago, j.rieff said:

Here's a couple real world examples:

The water hoses in our pool area are actually a sprinkler zone that needs to be turned on to use the hose.  I have Insteon hidden open and close sensors hidden in two dry places (they aren't being used on doors, just as a push button activator).  Press the button and the ISY turns on the single Rachio zone for hoses for 30 minutes.

Another one (but this one uses Home Assistant instead of ISY).... During the hours of 5am to 9am, when both phones have been disconnected from the charger, the bedroom blinds open.  That's stated simply, but it doesn't matter which one of use gets up first, if the other phone is still plugged in the blind won't open.   (only reason it's HA instead was the blinds are zigbee)

To be clear (or perhaps overly pedantic), IoX is the common platform that integrates all these devices. PG3 is the platform that allows IoX to interface with devices other than ZWave and Insteon. I, for one, hope that this distinction is removed in the (very near) future.

Edited by Goose66