Trouble with Schlage Door Lock and ZMatter/ZWave

I have the Schlage Door Look BE469ZP (ZWave) which ran just fine on my ISY 994i ZW with the the 300 and 500 series ZWave boards.  It also worked just fine with my Polisy and a Zooz 700 USB ZWave dongle.  I’ve moved everything to Eisy now with ZMatter USB and I have some issues with the door lock.  It won’t report lock status changes back to IoX now.  I can run a query from IoX an get the current status but communication initiated from the lock back to IoX doesn’t seem to be working.  Some additional info.  The ZWave move from Polisy to Eisy was not a migration, it was wipe/reset everything and reconfigure from scratch so everything is clean to start with.  I have about 35 ZWave devices and they all seem to be working just fine.  I was running on 5.6.0 on Polisy with the Zooz and on 5.6.0 on the Eisy so that should be about the same.  So the only thing that’s really different is the ZMatter and I’m running on S2 with the lock now and wasn’t before.  Have I run into a compatibility issue or some bug?  Thoughts?

8 hours ago, theitprofessor said:

I have the Schlage Door Look BE469ZP (ZWave) which ran just fine on my ISY 994i ZW with the the 300 and 500 series ZWave boards.  It also worked just fine with my Polisy and a Zooz 700 USB ZWave dongle.  I’ve moved everything to Eisy now with ZMatter USB and I have some issues with the door lock.  It won’t report lock status changes back to IoX now.  I can run a query from IoX an get the current status but communication initiated from the lock back to IoX doesn’t seem to be working.  Some additional info.  The ZWave move from Polisy to Eisy was not a migration, it was wipe/reset everything and reconfigure from scratch so everything is clean to start with.  I have about 35 ZWave devices and they all seem to be working just fine.  I was running on 5.6.0 on Polisy with the Zooz and on 5.6.0 on the Eisy so that should be about the same.  So the only thing that’s really different is the ZMatter and I’m running on S2 with the lock now and wasn’t before.  Have I run into a compatibility issue or some bug?  Thoughts?

Have you tried running:

Zwave - Synchronize - Update with Interview - restart admin console

13 hours ago, theitprofessor said:

I’ve moved everything to Eisy now with ZMatter USB and I have some issues with the door lock.  It won’t report lock status changes back to IoX now.

Don't know if these steps would help but my Schlage BE469NX (purchased 2015, firmware MAIN_6.8) so far seems to be reporting reliably after I upgraded from my ISY to a Polisy with ZMatter a few days ago.

After some initial problems it's working now after some combination of the following:
- In admin console: Z-Wave / Network / Communication Speed = 100 (Slowest)
- In admin console: Z-Wave / Network / Interview Timeout = 30 Seconds
- In admin console: Z-Wave / Network / Heal Network
-- Network Heal can take a long time, watch progress in Tools / Diagnostics / Event Viewer
- Exclude and re-include Schlage lock
- Right click on lock and Z-Wave / Update Neighbors
- Right click on lock and Z-Wave / Synchronize / Update with interview

It still shows "Interview Not Done" when looking at Z-Wave / X-Ray / DH All Devices / Go but I'm not seeing any side effects.

These are the nodes showing up for the lock:
- ZY 022 Door Lock
-- ZY 022 Access Control Alarm
-- ZY 022 Hardware Failure Alarm
-- ZY 022 Home Security Alarm
-- ZY 022 Intrusion Alarm
-- ZY 022 Power Alarm
-- ZY 022 System Alarm

Need clarification Scott -

- In admin console: Z-Wave / Network / Communication Speed = 100 (Slowest) Done
- In admin console: Z-Wave / Network / Interview Timeout = 30 Seconds Done
- In admin console: Z-Wave / Network / Heal Network I've done this twice before and I will do it once more once I understand the rest of your instructions
-- Network Heal can take a long time, watch progress in Tools / Diagnostics / Event Viewer Understood and I've monitored through viewer before
- Exclude and re-include Schlage lock Not sure what you mean here, are you referring to removing the lock completely from the controller and adding it back in?  If so, I will wait do to that as a last resort.  The reason is even if I remove it, it will still have ghost objects reappear under certain circumstances and the only way to clear those and not have them come back is to do a reset on the ZWave controller.  This means including every ZWave device all over again.  Ugh, 25 of my ZWave devices are battery operated and in locations not quick to get at.  I've done this process about 10 times for various reasons.  Another reason I hate ZWave.  Nothing is easy!
- Right click on lock and Z-Wave / Update Neighbors Done 3 times now
- Right click on lock and Z-Wave / Synchronize / Update with interview Done after Dennis recommendation, no change.

It still shows "Interview Not Done" when looking at Z-Wave / X-Ray / DH All Devices / Go but I'm not seeing any side effects. Mine also shows not done.

These are the nodes showing up for the lock: I have all the same (7)
- ZY 022 Door Lock
-- ZY 022 Access Control Alarm
-- ZY 022 Hardware Failure Alarm
-- ZY 022 Home Security Alarm
-- ZY 022 Intrusion Alarm
-- ZY 022 Power Alarm
-- ZY 022 System Alarm

BTW - I used to have an BE469NX and changed it out to the one I have now.  Your old one is on S0, isn't it?

36 minutes ago, theitprofessor said:

Need clarification Scott -

Some answers based on my experience but others may have better info....

Q: Exclude and re-include Schlage lock... Not sure what you mean here, are you referring to removing the lock completely from the controller and adding it back in?

Yes, in admin console I did a "Z-Wave / Remove a Z-Wave Device" followed by a "Z-Wave / Add a Z-Wave Device."

Q: "The reason is even if I remove it, it will still have ghost objects reappear under certain circumstances and the only way to clear those and not have them come back is to do a reset on the ZWave controller."

I haven't often seen ghost objects but there's a "Z-Wave / Synchronize / New & Deleted" that might get rid of them. Restarting the admin console is also a good step between significant changes. It's been a few years since I've had to do a Z-Wave reset. For my ISY to Polisy conversion I was able to restore from the ISY but excluded/included a few devices.

Q: BTW - I used to have an BE469NX and changed it out to the one I have now.  Your old one is on S0, isn't it?

Yes, I believe my old BE469NX security setting is S0.

Q: When you did your include did use the standard old school ZWave include or scan the DSK via UDM?

I used the old school "Add a Z-Wave Device." I believe my lock was manufactured before there was a scan code.

18 hours ago, theitprofessor said:

The ZWave move from Polisy to Eisy was not a migration, it was wipe/reset everything and reconfigure from scratch so everything is clean to start with. 

It is customary with ZWave to do an exclude prior to doing an include. Since you decided to start fresh with eisy, did you do an exclude before adding the ZWave lock?

If not, your best bet will be to exclude and then include, before we go down a rabbit hole.

1 hour ago, theitprofessor said:

Not sure what you mean here, are you referring to removing the lock completely from the controller and adding it back in?  If so, I will wait do to that as a last resort.  The reason is even if I remove it, it will still have ghost objects reappear under certain circumstances and the only way to clear those and not have them come back is to do a reset on the ZWave controller. 

You should not have to reset the ZWave controller. I have been using ZWave at two locations and the only time I had to do this was when UD required it before a ZWave firmware update.

By ghost objects are you referring to deleting devices and having some remnants remaining behind? They can be removed by going to the top ZWave menu and selecting Synchronize > New & Deleted with Interview, or New & Deleted (without Interview).

Other troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Open the event viewer to level 3, and operate the lock. Does it show in the event viewer?

2. In a browser window, type: http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:8080/rest/nodes/ZY005_1

Replace the x's with your eisy IP address and replace the ZY005_1 with the locks address. You can find this in the admin console right hand side when you are on the lock in the left hand tree. Copy the address exactly, upper vs lower case matters.

You will need to provide your eisy login info when requested. The output should tell you what is available.

If you added the lock without excluding, I think all of this will be for naught.

Dennis, I’m trying to understand your statement of adding without excluding first.  I’ve never done that or even heard about that before and I’ve been working with ZWave about 7 years.  Are you saying to run an exclude first?  For how long, since I’m not really excluding anything?  I have a practice that I do all the time and it’s served me well.  I do run a “stop including and excluding” before I do an include and I also do a factory reset on the device so it’s not paired with anything before I start.

6 hours ago, theitprofessor said:

Dennis, I’m trying to understand your statement of adding without excluding first.  I’ve never done that or even heard about that before and I’ve been working with ZWave about 7 years.  Are you saying to run an exclude first?  For how long, since I’m not really excluding anything?  I have a practice that I do all the time and it’s served me well.  I do run a “stop including and excluding” before I do an include and I also do a factory reset on the device so it’s not paired with anything before I start.

A Zwave device can only be part of one network. Best practices includes removing or excluding a device prior to including or adding the device.

You can search these forums and see that advice repeatedly mentioned.

The following is the Zwave instructions for adding a device from the UD Wiki, pay attention to the last line note.

Select Z-Wave | Add a Z-Wave Device and wait for a popup window to appear.

If the popup window does not appear, Select Z-Wave | Advanced | Stop Adding or Removing a Z-Wave Device then try again.

Put the Z-Wave device you are adding into learn Mode. Refer to the user guide for your product on how to do this. In many cases this just requires you to press a button on the device.

The ISY will begin adding the device (this may occur a few seconds after you put the device into learn mode).

The popup window will go away and you will see your device added to the tree.

Note: To add a device, it must not already be in a Z-Wave network. Therefore, if you are having trouble adding a device try removing it first.

I totally understand a device can only be part of one network.  But that’s exactly what I’ve been making sure of.  I’ve been using just another way of accomplishing the exact same thing.  Schlage door locks are finicky, when you include them in the network you need to have the controller within inches of the lock, which I do every time I do this.  An include will not work with communications through repeaters.  The bottom line here is ZWave sucks because it’s way more complicated and fussy than it should be, but it turns out they are a necessary evil.  I never, ever, have any issues with Insteon devices, wired, or wireless.  When I did this ZWave migration to ZMatter I did a ZWave reset on ZMatter to make sure sure nothing was part of it and I did a factory reset on every device before adding it.  That’s my method to make sure.  The lock was only the second device I added.

Schlage1.thumb.png.3d4c2bc6f03c1069f105c54c36f318fb.pngOh Man!  I hate when I'm right about these things.  Not that I don't appreciate everyone's help but not one thing above helped this situation. In fact, it's worse now.  I did an exclude before the include each time I tried to add the lock back.  I got the S2 ask, gave it the code, verified it, and shortly later the lock status light indicated a failed included and the include window went away.  I waited and nothing except one device object showed.  So I did an exclude which removed it and tried the include again.  Same situation, same result.  I don't even get the rest of the device objects just the one.  I did this 6 times.  Each time it went away, but then some time later now 6 "ghost", that's right ghost objects appear and they are not going away.  There is no way any of these are actually linked to the door lock anymore because I've now done a factory reset on the lock.  You say a "Z-Wave / Synchronize / New & Deleted" with or without an interview will get rid of them?  Not a chance.  I think the synchronize is just a new fancy name for Heal Network.  I even deleted these 6 objects and then ran a Sync and it brings them right back.  This is what I mean by ghosts objects.  This ghosting is exactly what happened with older versions of ISY and those dongles.  I call it ghosting because the door lock is not paired to anything but the IoX side still has partial remains you can't get rid of (Ghost).  The only way I've ever been able to get rid of the ghosts is a ZWave dongle/controller reset.  So I'm right back to where I started but now with a bigger mess and I still can't get this lock to pair with the new ZMatter board properly and it all was working just fine on ISY with 300 and 500 and Zooz 700 with the Polisy.

Schlage 2.png

Edited by theitprofessor