Support thread: IoX 5.6.2 Release

16 minutes ago, brians said:

have you tried from a different computer?

Yes, used 3 different computers. (2 locally and 1 physically remote location)

17 minutes ago, brians said:

maybe is some cached info incorrect on the PC itself.

Cleared java cache on all computers and downloaded fresh start.jnlp file. 

15 minutes ago, brians said:

Can someone explain why would want to use cloud vs LAN anyways?

Not sure why some do while local, but it stems from when it first became an option with (then) ISY Launcher because the "cloud" version tended to load a little quicker than the local connection (no real proof that it did/didn't for me personally, but remember people commenting that way). 

Otherwise, the cloud option is only available when trying to connect to the IoX service while not on the same network. Some will use the (old) port forwarding method (not so safe), but most will use the UDI Portal connection method (using the UDI Portal credentials) to access the admin console while remote. 

Since it's been confirmed by UDI that there's an issue we just need to wait for the fix. 

Just a small bit of the Java console log:

https://isy.universal-devices.com/iox/5.6.2/iox.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/iox/5.6.2/ce.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/iox/5.6.2/chart.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.udi.insteon.client.InsteonOps.isControLinc(Unknown Source)
	at com.udi.insteon.client.InsteonOps.isInsteonController(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.client.ui.InsteonCellRenderer.getTreeCellRendererComponent(Unknown Source)
	at com.universaldevices.ui.driver.UDProductDriverCellRenderer.getTreeCellRendererComponent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$NodeDimensionsHandler.getNodeDimensions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.tree.AbstractLayoutCache.getNodeDimensions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.tree.FixedHeightLayoutCache.getBounds(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.tree.FixedHeightLayoutCache.getBounds(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.tree.AbstractLayoutCache.getPreferredWidth(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.updateCachedPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.ScrollPaneLayout.layoutContainer(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.layout(Unknown Source)

1 hour ago, brians said:

Can someone explain why would want to use cloud vs LAN anyways?

Cloud gets the admin console (admin.jnlp) from a UD server (AWS).   LAN downloads the file from the ISY itself.   With a 994 the cloud option is faster because JAVA requires downloaded apps to be downloaded encrypted from an https source.  The 994 can do that but it has a slow processor that might be kinda busy anyway so it takes longer than a modern web server to encrypt the file for transport, therefor the cloud option is faster for a 994.   With the speed of eisy (or even polisy) there likely is no longer much difference in speed.  

• Like 3
On 6/25/2023 at 1:40 PM, TheA2Z said:

To add more to this.  In the field that says control, If I select another option in that field, like variable, it does not change the other field drop downs to show the variables I can drop down.  It still shows the device fields.

Just checked using LAN version in IOX finder and it works fine.  Does not work on Cloud only.

This is fixed with new version I just installed working in a ticket with @Michel Kohanim

1. Rebooted Eisy
  2. Then did an upgrade packages and rebooted.

Cloud version now works properly and shows right versions.  Thanks @Michel Kohanim and team!

• Like 2

I just noticed that my Smartenit EZIO2X4—Model #5010D—2-Relay/4-Input Controller is no longer working. It has been working in the past and I suspect it stopped with the update to 5.6.2.

I removed the device and was unable to re-add it back to the system. Insteon engine not recognized, and I wasn't able to locate any of the Smartenit devices in the supported list anymore. It would be wonderful if they could be added back in.

Thank you!

Edited by kzboray
2 hours ago, kzboray said:

I just noticed that my Smartenit EZIO2X4—Model #5010D—2-Relay/4-Input Controller is no longer working. It has been working in the past and I suspect it stopped with the update to 5.6.2.

@kzboray make sure you open a support ticket for this. It’s the best way to notify of bugs/issues that need to be targeted for updates.

• Like 3
On 7/8/2023 at 3:47 PM, kzboray said:

I removed the device and was unable to re-add it back to the system. Insteon engine not recognized, and I wasn't able to locate any of the Smartenit devices in the supported list anymore. It would be wonderful if they could be added back in.

Thank you!

I have several of these in my system and are working without issue on 5.6.2.  I would be venture to guess that either the PLM part of the Smartenit device is failing or possibly the daughter board in it.  I have had several PLM’s fail in the Smartenit devices in the past (plagued by the same issue as the old Insteon PLM since that was what the modules use) and the last failure was actually the daughter board and not the PLM.  If you determine the device is failing, I would reach out to Smartenit to see if they still offer their repair service.  I used to just stop by their office in Irvine to drop them off for repair but the last time I was in, they were running low on parts due to the shut-down of Smarthome/Insteon and were likely not going to be doing repairs if was PLM related; thankfully the issue was a failed daughter board and was able to be quickly swapped out. They used to offer shipping turnaround repair service and would reach out to them to see about currently available options.  With Insteon bringing back the PLM, maybe there is still hope for rebuild/repair. All of the people at Smartenit have been more than awesome to work with as a side note. 

@n_sievers great information, thank you! I'll follow up with Smartenit, but I want to wait and verify that the 2X4 is still supported due to it being removed from the supported devices list in IoX. If you Start Linking and try to manually add a Smartenit 2X4 it used to be in the list. It's not there anymore.

If it is still a supported engine type and I missed it in the list. Then I would agree it's the 2X4 itself that has failed...bummer. I'll keep you posted on Smartenit support in IoX when I get a response to my ticket.

So I opened a ticket on Saturday and as usual got an almost instant reply from Michel. That man never sleeps! We went back and forth a couple of times on more detail, but Michel came up with the answer. The Smartenit devices are not dual band and have to be on the same electrical leg to communicate with the PLM effectively. They are also very susceptible to line noise.

I had moved my PLM a couple of weeks ago and this is what started my problem. As soon as I moved the Smartenit's to be on the same electrical leg as the PLM they were again able to be discovered by an Insteon device search via AC.

FYI they are called; I had forgotten, not Smartenit but by their original name COMPACTA 2X4

• Like 5
On 7/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, kzboray said:

So I opened a ticket on Saturday and as usual got an almost instant reply from Michel. That man never sleeps! We went back and forth a couple of times on more detail, but Michel came up with the answer. The Smartenit devices are not dual band and have to be on the same electrical leg to communicate with the PLM effectively. They are also very susceptible to line noise.

I had moved my PLM a couple of weeks ago and this is what started my problem. As soon as I moved the Smartenit's to be on the same electrical leg as the PLM they were again able to be discovered by an Insteon device search via AC.

FYI they are called; I had forgotten, not Smartenit but by their original name COMPACTA 2X4

Glad to hear you are back up and running again!  Yes, the Smartenit modules are very susceptible to power line noise and some versions are definitely worse than others.  There was a period that they did dual-band PLM’s in their devices but stopped due to the frequent failures. In the areas I have had com issues, I have plugged in either an insteon range extender or can also do a dual-band lamplinc or similar as it performs the same function of signal coupling; just make sure there is another dual-band device on the other leg of your panel within communicating distance. Once I got mine all dialed in, they work very well. 

• Like 1