Cannot install 2844-444 motion sensor

I've used these Aeotec 6, with decent reliability, but I install them with a wired USB power supply. I was never a fan of the battery operation. The delays on activation and the window until it would shut off was too long as I recall. The fix was to supply them with a USB power source. This is a z-wave device.

There is now a version 7 Aeotec 7 available as well and also a Zigbee motion only sensor Aeotec Zigbee Motion from the same company. One of these might meet your needs. Keep in mind Zigbee support is limited at the moment and would not support the motion only sensor out of the box.

I have several Multisensor 6, some running on USB and some on batteries.  I've also tried the Multisensor 7 which has some design flaws so I'm sticking with the MS 6.  All the parameters, including timeout, in the MS 6 are programmable.  The additional nodes in the MS6 make it more desirable than the Insteon MS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PapaBear said:

Any other ideas on how to link a MSII? Somebody must have figured this out??

Either you've got a bad motion sensor or you're not entering the address correctly. Since you (and others that @MrBill linked to) are having issues I decided to install one that was still in the box. I got it connected within seconds of typing in the address and putting it into linking mode as @Techman describes above.

If yours was in the box for a long time it's possible the battery charge died. Although doubtful as mine is showing as "R3.1 4317" (43rd week of 2017?). It's reporting battery level of 92% and I just pulled the tab off the battery. 

Looking at your picture it's entirely possible that the address is:  45.D1.8C, 45.01.BC, or 45.01.8C

But seeing yours is R1.0 5016 I wonder what the R1.0 is and if that's a big difference than what I just attempted to install.

I will say, not having ever attempted to use one of these soon after it was installed it quit communicating to admin console. I since have re-established and it appears to be operating as expected.

I'm on IoX 5.6.4

Motion sensor was maybe 15 feet away from the PLM during my testing.

So, I still had two more MSII still in boxes. I tried each of them using the method @techman describes. I even took a picture of each address and blew it up to be sure I got it right. I tested the battery I am using and it has a full charge. I am 6' from my PLM. Each time I got the same error message that I was getting before.

I wonder if R 1.0 is the problem. How can I find out? Or should I just toss these MSII in "the box" and forget about it?

@PapaBear

Have you updated the EISY to the latest firmware, 5.6.4?

If so, then I've run out off suggestions.

As a last resort, you can send a message to Insteon support: support@insteon.com, and ask them if there were issues with the MS firmware version that you have.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Michaelv said:

Is there another brand of MS that will work with the EISY?

Many (even in this thread - look up a few pots made on August 6th) have commented that Zwave motion sensors work. There's reports (elsewhere) that some Zigbee MS work now that Zigbee is supported on the ZMatter device. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also have not been able to make MSII work on EISY 5.6.4.. It seems to link and I have 3 entries in the tree:
.1 Motion
.13 Motion Enabled
.16 Tamper

Motion Status never changes except when I press the MOTION button. They do not seem to pick up motion.

Just added a second MSII. Also seemed to link. Again 3 entries in tree.

Inconsistent operation on both. neither seems to turn on with motion.

I can get a simple program with variable timer to run by checking the STATUS of .13 but the status doesn't change unless the button is pushed again.

Also frustrating is there seems to be a long delay before they switch (after button push) and I have no understanding of how long they need to reset to pick up another motion event.

Conclusion - not very useful devices. I do not recommend buying them.

1 hour ago, Michaelv said:

when I go to Z Wave Menu, I get Z-wave not responding.

That's a different issue that will need to be resolved before adding any Zwave devices.

Do you have any Zwave devices previously added and if so are they working?

Have you tried rebooting?

Is the Zwave box checked on the Configuration tab?

What system, Zwave dongle, and firmware are you using?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michaelv said:

This is my first Zwave device, so I guess I need the Zwave dongle. 
can you tell me exactly what it is and where I can get this ZWave dongle?

I have Z wave checked on the config. Tab. 

thank you 

Depends on which system you have.

ISY994 uses an internal board, which like the ISY994 is discontinued.

Both eisy & Polisy can use a Zooz dongle or UD's own ZWave Zmatter dongle. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-usb/

• Like 2

@tporada Yes the MS II's load three pages when they are found.  I only know what the .1 Motion tab does.  

The temperature and status blocks are the two that I can use in programs.  I mostly use "status" as that is the "on/off" the sensor sends. All of these worked perfectly with 5.4.x before migrating to the eisy.   

After upgrading from the ISY to the eisy, my 5 motion sensors were listed with no errors or "write change bars" displayed, I could write updates but none displayed "status" in the console at first.  After migrating to the new ELK poly and fixing all of my broken programs nothing changed but it turns out the ELK poly takes quite a bit of time to load.  I was troubleshooting for over three hours and out of frustration, I left the admin console.    About 15 hours later I returned and the ELK devices had loaded, and one MSII was suddenly working.  No idea when that happened or what changed.  

This morning I got up to find a second MS II working.  I have no idea why and will keep working on it today and tomorrow.  

As of now, two are now working correctly and sending the correct status (or the eisy is receiving the status more correctly).  The MS I, isn't sending anything yet, two of  the MS II don't send anything either, or the eisy isn't seeing them.  I tried factory resets and reloads with no luck and yesterday evening I walked in the house and the lights in the kitchen came on.  I checked the admin console and sure enough the MS II in the kitchen send "on", the scene was working as it had with the eisy.

If anything else works I'll post here or in my frustration migration vent thread.

Edited by CoolToys
Add link to thread where I am posting all of my notes from migration

3 hours ago, Michaelv said:

This is my first Zwave device, so I guess I need the Zwave dongle. 
can you tell me exactly what it is and where I can get this ZWave dongle?

I have Z wave checked on the config. Tab. 

thank you 

If you have the eisy or polisy your best choice is the Zmatter dongle from UD as it supports OTA updates, Zigbee, and Zmatter, and is fully supported by UD.

ZMatter USB: Z-Wave+ & Matter Module for eisy (Beta) - Universal Devices (universal-devices.com)

However it's currently out of stock.

I put my MSIIs away for now but I will keep monitoring to see if anyone figures anything out.

I do have a DOME Z-Wave for simply lighting a room when I walk it. It works well. On occasion I fool with it and have a heck of a time figuring out how to make it work again. I do not believe the DOME is sold anymore as Aerotec has other models out there now.

Today I tried a $20 MS from ThirdReality (from Amazon) "THIRDREALITY Zigbee Motion Sensor, Zigbee Hub Required, Pet Friendly, Works with Home Assistant, SmartThings, Aeotec, Hubitat or Echo Devices with Built-in Zigbee hub" and got it working. I am not familiar with Zigbee and EISY kept putting nodes in the tree until I deleted most then somehow got one working. I did a reboot along the way. 
This sensor has a built in delay of about 35 seconds and STATUS stays ON during that period. I do not know of a way to shorten the ON time, probably some Zigbee parameter I cannot get to. So, I can't short cycle anything with a timer check for the ON state (At least I do not know how) so my timer is set to recheck status after 40 seconds.
But this MS works to a large extent and it is only $20. It has many other features now available via EISY 5.6.4.

Sure would be nice to have a bunch of working $20 MSs to play with...

@tporada I got all of my MS II working with the eisy and 5.6.4.

I put them in multi linking mode, press and hold until green blink, release and quick press.  

Then delete them in the admin console.

The relink in the admin console, let the admin console figure out what they are.  

All four working perfectly and all programs/scenes they controlled now work.