Eisy going offline - online / offline - online

Michaelv

I upgraded to the Eisy in April. I also have the mobile app.  I upgraded to Firmware / UI lox v.5.6.3 about a month ago. Ever since then, I get notifications on the mobile app the Eisy is offline. Then 5-10 minutes later, another notification that it is back online. and so on and so on. 

Last night I cleared 34 notifications with this same pattern.

What could this be?

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/1/2023 at 7:46 AM, Michaelv said:

I upgraded to the Eisy in April. I also have the mobile app.  I upgraded to Firmware / UI lox v.5.6.3 about a month ago. Ever since then, I get notifications on the mobile app the Eisy is offline. Then 5-10 minutes later, another notification that it is back online. and so on and so on. 

Last night I cleared 34 notifications with this same pattern.

What could this be?

I am having the exact same issue. Same versions. A previous post back in April about this suggested to check the portal from a browser and sure enough my eisy was offline. I hope someone has some ideas. 

James

@737simguy please update to current version (5.6.4) to be sure this wasn’t fixed in the update. 

Keeping up to date is essential and should be the first step in troubleshooting, especially when you have an issue similar to one reported almost a month ago and before the most recent release.

https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/339-current-release-announcements/

if you still have the issue after updating please post a new thread or open a support ticket so UDI can track any issues you might be having. 

20 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@737simguy please update to current version (5.6.4) to be sure this wasn’t fixed in the update. 

Keeping up to date is essential and should be the first step in troubleshooting, especially when you have an issue similar to one reported almost a month ago and before the most recent release.

https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/339-current-release-announcements/

if you still have the issue after updating please post a new thread or open a support ticket so UDI can track any issues you might be having. 

I will update thank you. I had searched for an update but I obviously missed it. 

james

@737simguy If you "follow" the Current Release area when new topics are started you will get an alert (depending on how your notifications are setup) and you can review and update as indicated. 

Just go to: https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/339-current-release-announcements/

Click the "Follow" box on the right side of the screen:

image.png

Then set it up to email you or it will just alert you on the forums. I've found that to be very helpful to get an alert when new updates are released. There have been a couple of times here or there that I didn't get a notification, but figure that was just a system oversight, but it typically does really good to alert those following the area. And it only alerts you for NEW topics. Not replies or edits to existing topics. 

Lastly, after you update to 5.6.4 make sure your system reboots correctly. Sometimes the "Reboot" button hasn't fully forced a reboot of the eisy and many have had to perform a power cycle. I believe with 5.6.4 I did a power cycle even after it said to reboot to be able to get PG3x running correctly, but I think that even got fixed with the 3.2.2 PG3x update. 

Let us know how it is after your updated.

11 minutes ago, 737simguy said:

I won’t be able to update right away as I assume there is no way to update remotely, couldn’t find a way at least. 

I wouldn't suggest updating remotely. Mostly for the risk of having to perform a power cycle to fully complete the update. It's possible, but enjoy the time away and get to it when you can. :)

@737simguy it could very well also be an internet connection stability issue. So unless you're there and know there's not a drop on the internet side you can't be sure just what's causing it.

I know I've had a few drops over the past week or so, but we've also been having some internet issues (who doesn't on Comcast?).

1 hour ago, Geddy said:

@737simguy it could very well also be an internet connection stability issue. So unless you're there and know there's not a drop on the internet side you can't be sure just what's causing it.

I know I've had a few drops over the past week or so, but we've also been having some internet issues (who doesn't on Comcast?).

Yes, but I have several other full time devices that rely on the internet connection as well and they report offline events, but have not been in this case. So it’s obviously going to take some sleuthing to figure it out. Question: is the eisy super sensitive to harmonic distortion in the AC source power? At the moment it is not plugged in to a surge protected outlet and I’m wondering if that could be a problem. The odd thing is, when eisy is offline I can look at my eero router and see that eisy is indeed connected to the network. So I’m scratching my head.  

@737simguy after you're back and perform a full power cycle let's see what happens. I think Michel has commented that another IoX update was coming this week so perhaps that will be out before you return and further improve some stability. 

As for sensitivity to power supply...I don't think it's all that sensitive and think UDI added a delay for internet drops so it wouldn't notify users on a brief drop (I think that was a big issue when the notifications first started). 

You mentioned having an eero router. Is the eisy connected via wire or wireless? If wired is it connected to the base/hub eero or one of the satelites? 

Also, when you get back and can access the device locally pull an IoX error log and a PG3x system log when you get the alert or within the same day. The next step I would suggest is opening a support ticket and these logs would be beneficial to UDI to review what's happening to further troubleshoot.

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

Ultimately though hopefully updating to 5.6.4 and a full power cycle might be a big step in the right direction. I don't recall seeing any reports lately about random disconnects, at least not like there had been previously. 

Safe travels!

2 hours ago, Geddy said:

You mentioned having an eero router. Is the eisy connected via wire or wireless? If wired is it connected to the base/hub eero or one of the satelites? 

eisy is connected to eero via WiFi at the moment. Plan is to add it to the media enclosure and plug it into the switch that comes off the eero gateway unit for a wired connection. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Sidney Page said:

I'm having the same issues. It doesn't matter if I'm using LAN cable or Wi-Fi. It continues to lose connection/gain connection continuously no matter how I'm connected. I have the latest version 5.7.0 and I have power cycled several times. Any suggestions?

I’m afraid I have not found a solution either. I gave up trying. 

james

I also have this issue.  Randomly, every 2-3 weeks I start getting a flurry of disconnected / connected notifications.  Sometimes 30+ in an hour.  Eventually everything returns to normal.  I haven't had time to do any troubleshooting.  Just chiming in that it's not an isolated incident.

Edited by kurelgyer

Hello everyone,

In most cases, the issue is that eisy cannot get out to the Internet. If you are on the latest 5.7.0_5, then there's a 99.9% chance that the issue is on the router/ISP side of things mostly DNS name resolution. Please check your error log. And as always, we'd be happy to take a look and give you recommendations via tickets. 

With kind regards,
Michel