How do you know when update is complete?

JSylvia007

So I see that there is new firmware.  I opened the admin console and clicked "Upgrade Packages".  Said "ok" to the two pop-ups.  The update process starts and says "this could take 30 minutes" and then just sits there.

There should be some other message that allows for tracking the upgrade... I had no idea what the indication would be, until about 10 minutes in, another popup indicated that I needed to reboot.

I understand that we're working with a bit of old technology here for the admin console, but we HAVE to get better with this stuff.  The user experience is still pretty lacking, and there are some MAJOR security configuration vulnerabilities in the underlying OS.  Don't get me wrong, BSD was the right choice, and it's an excellent choice for security, but some of the system defaults are way too insecure in 2023, and the necessary admin tools to fix them aren't for the average user to tackle.

If anyone at UDI is willing to work with me, I have 20 years of Control Systems / Operational Technology Cyber experience and I'm willing to offer advice.

This particular upgrade was weird, because my admin console did not go away.  Often, the system reboots.  This time, I got the same message that you did, that the system had to reboot, some minutes into it. 

Also, the "Upgrade packages" is a little strange, since it doesn't necessarily mean "install new firmware" (since there's also an "Upgrade BIOS" button -- aren't firmware and BIOS the same thing?

BIOS is that little computer's Basic Input Output System that tells the hardware what devices to boot, what hardware is enabled, if it boots with the numlock key, and etc.

Firmware is software that makes the eISY IoX work and it is stored in hardware memory, nonvolatile.

Hope this might help.

John

@ctviggen1,

The reason AC didn't go away is because we have to keep it open so that we can send you message about the status (such as done or reboot). If you have UD Mobile, you also get notified in app. 

Regarding BIOS, as @johnjces suggested, this controls/initializes the firmware running inside the CPU and peripherals. For instance, when there are security issues on the CPU, BIOS update will fix it.

With kind regards,
Michel

4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

The reason AC didn't go away is because we have to keep it open so that we can send you message about the status (such as done or reboot). If you have UD Mobile, you also get notified in app. 

Would you consider adding a status box to updates in the Admin Console like you do for backups, that way there is an indication to the user that SOMETHING is happening?