Looking for IR and/or Harmony Advice

jpoje
Go to solution Solved by jpoje,

I just migrated to EISY and knew I would lose my IR capabilities, but thought I could find another way to accomplish the few tasks I used IR for. I had the following ISY994i IR programs set up to control lighting during Movie Time using my Harmony Remote:

Movie Play - when I long press "PLAY" button on my Harmony Remote, I had most house Insteon Lights turn off.

Movie Pause - when I long press "PAUSE" on my Harmony Remote, I had certain light come on and dim.

Movie End - long press "STOP", had some lights come back on.

I installed the Harmony Node Server, but after reading posts here, realize this Node Server most likely will not accomplish the above tasks.

Will the Flirc IR USB device be able to accomplish the above tasks? I read I could set up my ISY994i IR to use for IR, but then how do I get ISY994i to communicate with EISY?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Edited by jpoje
On 9/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, jpoje said:

I just migrated to EISY and knew I would lose my IR capabilities, but thought I could find another way to accomplish the few tasks I used IR for. I had the following ISY994i IR programs set up to control lighting during Movie Time using my Harmony Remote:

Movie Play - when I long press "PLAY" button on my Harmony Remote, I had most house Insteon Lights turn off.

Movie Pause - when I long press "PAUSE" on my Harmony Remote, I had certain light come on and dim.

Movie End - long press "STOP", had some lights come back on.

I installed the Harmony Node Server, but after reading posts here, realize this Node Server most likely will not accomplish the above tasks.

Will the Flirc IR USB device be able to accomplish the above tasks? I read I could set up my ISY994i IR to use for IR, but then how do I get ISY994i to communicate with EISY?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Using the Harmony NS, you can only trigger on an activity status (not a key press/hold).

You should be able to do this with the Flirc and the eISYIR NS.

You can also use your old ISY994 IR and network resources (assuming you have a license for that) to change a variable status (or possibly execute a program directly, not sure) on the eISY via the REST interface.  This is what I did until the eISYIR NS was available.

I just received the Flirc as the Harmony node server will not accomplish the above 3 tasks I mentioned above. I followed instructions and installed the Flirc desktop software and uploaded the configuration file (that is located here on the forum) into the Flirc. I then took the Flirc and plugged into EISY, and installed the trial eISYIR node server.

In Admin Console, it shows one new node EisyIR Controller and it is "Online". So now how do I get or create the nodes (Play, Pause and Stop), so that when I use my Harmony remote it will trigger the 3 IR programs I migrated over from ISY994i IR?

I appreciate any help and/or suggestions!

I just received the Flirc as the Harmony node server will not accomplish the above 3 tasks I mentioned above. I followed instructions and installed the Flirc desktop software and uploaded the configuration file (that is located here on the forum) into the Flirc. I then took the Flirc and plugged into EISY, and installed the trial eISYIR node server.
In Admin Console, it shows one new node EisyIR Controller and it is "Online". So now how do I get or create the nodes (Play, Pause and Stop), so that when I use my Harmony remote it will trigger the 3 IR programs I migrated over from ISY994i IR?
I appreciate any help and/or suggestions!

You may need to reboot the eisy after plugging the Flirc into the device. If you have done that then you need to send each IR signal to get the node server to add the nodes. Once they show up you can use a program to run when the IR node is pressed or held.

I apologize as your wording and the PG3 node server instructions seem so simple, but I am just not grasping how to do this and need a little more explanation please.

"Send each IR signal to get the node server to add the nodes"

I have my Harmony Hub (which will send the IR signal) right next to my Eisy with the Flirc attached to USB, then I just press a button on my remote and a node will be created? Seems too simple, and I have tried that and do not see any new nodes showing up.

There has to be something else I need to do first in AC or PG3 before pressing the remote button?

I most appreciate your help!

• Solution

Thank you, yes, I have followed the instructions and videos at the link you provided. So where I got stuck was second video showing AC where you press remote button and create a node. I pressed remote buttons and no nodes are created, no matter what remote I used (Harmony or regular IR remote).

After experimenting and reading some posts on the Flirc forum, I added a new "Device" into the Harmony software and then I was able to easily create nodes in the eISYIR Node Server. Once I had those nodes, I was able to modify my Harmony Activities and my IR programs migrated from ISY994i IR to work as they did before migration.

Edited by jpoje
  • 3 months later...

I added a new "Device" into the Harmony software

What new new harmony device did you add?
I am stuck in the same place.
When I press a remote button I see in the Event Viewer an event referencing an IR button like:

[n001_irbutton_106]

But I don't see any node created nor a way to reverence this button press in a program.

• 3 weeks later...

In the Harmony software, "add a new device", choose "Flirc" for manufacturer, then "Kodi" for model. Add the new Flirc device to one of your Harmony activities.

It's been awhile since I set this all up, but after that I followed the Flirc node server instructions and everything just worked. Hope that helps.