Outlet Communication

Glynr

I’m trying to figure out a way to be informed via text Etc. when a GFI outlet is triped. I know that there are products out there that you can pay a monthly fee for this and there are products that you just plug in and it connects to your Wi-Fi. But has anybody integrated anything into their system?

Edited by Glynr

Ok that could work. I was wondering if one of my Insteon appliance modules might work. I know that I can set up notifications but looks like it won’t send a notification when no power is being provided to the module. Unless I’m missing something. 

Edited by Glynr
6 hours ago, Glynr said:

Ok that could work. I was wondering if one of my Insteon appliance modules might work. I know that I can set up notifications but looks like it won’t send a notification when no power is being provided to the module. Unless I’m missing something. 

Correct. No power. The Appliancelinc and newer on/off module will have no power to send a signal.

Good point. You may have to query it to see if it responds. If that's the case you might be able to do the same with an Insteon device. If the device doesn't respond then send a notification. I haven't tried it, but it's something you could play with to see if it's feasible. 

To monitor power outages, I use the Zwave Ecolink chime which has a built-in battery backup up and has a node that shows if a/c power is on. My eisy is plugged into a UPS, as are my modem and router.

Edited by Techman