LIFX, kasa, twinkly, govee, novostella and hue led strips

leonpc

I am not sure where to post this question as it covers a few different topics.  I have used Lifx, Kasa and Novostella lights and each have their strong points.  I even have a few LIFX LED strips but I do not think they are good for the outside.  Each of the brands also offer LED light strips.  I am looking at add some LED strips to my setup and to use them outdoors.

I was wonder if anybody would care to share their experiences with LED light strips and the integration with eisy.

Thanks

Edited by leonpc
added info

I use hue and twinkly.  Integration with hue seems rock solid to me.  Twinkly works reliably, but options are limited to OFF and ON (no color or brightness options).  

i use a couple of other brands, but without ISY integration.  For those, I power through insteon or zwave so that I can at least turn them on and off) having confirmed that the various settings persist when power is disrupted, and changing settings via the little included remote.  One such brand is ecosmart fro home depot and another is from batteries plus (brand I cannot remember).

13 hours ago, leonpc said:

I am not sure where to post this question as it cover a few different topics.  I have used Lifx, Kasa and Novostella lights and each have the strong points.  I even have a few LIFX LED strips but I do not thing they are good for the outside.  Each of the brands also offer LED light strips.  I am looking at add some LED strips to my setup and to use them outdoors.

I was wonder if anybody would care to share their experiences with LED light strips and the integration with eisy.

Thanks

I e tried many different lightstrips over the years and none compare to hue (my opinion). The ease of setup and app use is a major reason. Lifx is much more confusing and disconnected. 

While other strips have some novel features that I wish hue had when it comes to Multi-Color strips, hue's take on it still seems much more elegant though I wish they were cheaper.  

Since you're using the dish, I say why choose 1? While I use hue mainly, I still have a couple of lifx strips that I use for specific effects in certain area that hue isn't capable of.

You can do the same thing though I'd recommend keeping things all the same in singular areas. That way, when you make a change, all devices changes at 1 time vs each device 1 by 1 which lessens the experience. 

Thank you all for the info.

I have been looking at the Shelly RGBW2 devices as well because they will allow me to use a variety of brands but have a single interface.  Only downside is... it is an additional cost and with that additional component I am not sure I would have any better control over the colors.  It is is only on or off, it may make more sense to use smart switches to turn the strips on and off

I like what I see from Twinkly but they seem pretty expensive and if the NS will only switch them on and off I would it may not be worth the investment.

I like the LIFX strips I have but they are not rated for exterior use.

I would say based on what I have read my choice is between Hue and the TP-Link Tapo if the Node server gets updated to support TAPO instead of just CASA

I would still like to hear from other people what there experiences were.