Support thread for: PG3x v3.2.16 (November 9th, 2023)

Hello @bmercier,

Not sure is this is a bug or not but in at least the last 2 versions of PG3X, I am unable to get the system log to stay at anything other than the info level.  I can change the dropdown to any other log level but if I leave the log page and come back, it's back to info.  I'd prefer to have at error or warning for my normal day to day usage.

-Xathros

On 11/9/2023 at 6:24 PM, Xathros said:

Hello @bmercier,

Not sure is this is a bug or not but in at least the last 2 versions of PG3X, I am unable to get the system log to stay at anything other than the info level.  I can change the dropdown to any other log level but if I leave the log page and come back, it's back to info.  I'd prefer to have at error or warning for my normal day to day usage.

-Xathros

Hi @Xathros,

The PG3 log level has always reset to info on reboot, and the UI would not persist the state when navigating. 

I made the PG3 log level persistent, and this will be included in the next PG3x release.

Thanks,

Benoit

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bmercier said:

Hi @Xathros,

The PG3 log level has always reset to info on reboot, and the UI would not persist the state when navigating. 

I made the PG3 log level persistent, and this will be included in the next PG3x release.

Thanks,

Benoit

Thank you.  This will make finding problems in the log much easier.

-Xathros

15 hours ago, bmercier said:

@bmercier it was my understanding a past update made the log change back to "info" so it wouldn't load up the log when users leave it in debug mode or other overly active mode. The problem at the time was that logs were filling up and causing issues by being so large and then being swapped out and losing 24 hour period of logging. Only going from memory as to why it was changed previously. 

I think @bpwwer made that change so might have the reason behind that choice.

2 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@bmercier it was my understanding a past update made the log change back to "info" so it wouldn't load up the log when users leave it in debug mode or other overly active mode. The problem at the time was that logs were filling up and causing issues by being so large and then being swapped out and losing 24 hour period of logging. Only going from memory as to why it was changed previously. 

I think @bpwwer made that change so might have the reason behind that choice.

I don't think the log level was persistant in the past. There were no database fields & no code to support that.

When changing the level in the UI, the setting was also not persistant in the UI. Just switching to Dashboard and back to the Log did reset the selector to Info (But the back end stayed at whatever was previously selected).

Now, the UI properly reflects the current logging level in the back end AND is persisted following a restart. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, it wasn't persistent by design.   The logging levels for PG3 were never meant to match the levels being used by plug-ins (node servers).  

The default (info) level is meant to provide a reasonable detail of what PG3 is doing. This level typically provides enough detail to allow us to understand what's happening when a user submits the log as part of a ticket.  In many cases, having that level of detail for the entire day is very helpful.

Having the log level set to warnings/errors will not, in most cases, provide enough detail to resolve issues and is not really useful from a support perspective.  These levels are available mostly because the logging library being used has them by default.

The debug level and db operations level generate too much log info to be generally useful.  There are some specific cases where seeing that can help and in those cases, the user would only need to set it to levels when told to by a support person.  Also, leaving it set to db operations level could end up filling up the available disk space fairly quickly.

In my opinion, having it be persistent is a bad idea.