Replace failed switch with new

djones1415
Go to solution Solved by apostolakisl,

A ToggleLinc #2466SW just failed. I have a new one and have removed the old switch and replaced it with the new one.

New switch controls the light just fine.

Now I would like to transfer all of the programming that went with the old switch to the new one.

Is there any way to do that simply?

I looked on this forum and found a post that said to add the new switch to the ISY, then right click on the old one and select "Replace Device", but there is no such selection when I right click on old device.

I have not yet added the new switch to the ISY, and would appreciate any guidance before I try it. Started to do so, but confronted with: >Link Management>New INSTEON Device: asking for Address, Name, Device Type (Auto Discover), and then a choice of Remove existing links, Add devices found in links and remove existing links, or Add devices found in links and keep existing links.  I don't know. 

I am hoping this is easy if I knew what I was doing...but I don't, and I don't want to do something that makes it harder to fix later.

Can anyone point me to instructions somewhere else on this forum if already there, or let me know how easily to have the ISY transfer all of the programming/scenes from the old device to the new one?

Thanks

• Solution

You have to have the old switch in the root folder.  So first right click and remove from folder, then go to its new location in the tree and right click and you will see the "replace with" command.  The new switch will have to be the same switch or an updated version of the same switch or you won't be given the option to select it as the destination of the programming.  

• Like 1

Device replacement steps - This only works with similar device types (dimmer to dimmer/switch to switch)

1) Factory reset your new switch.  This removes potentially unwanted settings from the new device (X10 addresses, etc).  Manual : 2466 Toggleinc

2) Link the new switch and use the "Remove Existing Links" option.  There should not be any links after resetting, but... (belt and suspenders).  Name the device something similar to your old device - add a "#" or a "new" to discriminate between them.

3) Right click on the "old" device that you want to replace.  It should now show the recently added device as an option for replacement.  IF IT DOES NOT your old device is in a sub-folder or a different device type.  If in a sub folder, move to the root folder. 

Device in sub folder will not show replace option

image.png.4d2fbe3b54554ed6081bd6f1b3d2deee.png

After moving to the Root folder: replace is now an option

image.png.3cdc02cea43715726a5964fff46ade9d.png

4) After performing the "replace with" you will be prompted to re-boot the ISY.  Following the re-boot, the new switch should be in place and all of your programs and scenes should be updated.

5) Re-name the new device if you wish.  All the programs and scenes will be updates.

Edited by IndyMike
Corrected Type
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you IndyMiike for such a complete, idiot-proof response. Clearly you knew your audience even though we haven't met. I don't know how to mark the answer as the solution or I would, in case that helps in some forum way.

Your instructions worked like a charm. Thanks so much.

You too, apostolakisi.

• Like 1

@djones1415, I apologize if my response implied in any way that you required this type of  response.  Being an Engineer (and working with Engineers) for 40+ years, pictures and screen captures are my go to.  My friends and family would attest that I am uniquely qualified to provide idiotic responses.  

Glad it helped.

In retrospect, Lou's (Apostolakisi) response was exactly correct.  Had I seen it, I would not have replied.

Geddy's response was "most" correct - pointing to existing Wiki documentation rather than re-inventing the wheel.  I need to remember that.

IM

• Like 1