New problems after replacing PLM

I was having a few minor issues with my system, like occasionally when I try to add a new device I would get the error "cannot determine Insteon engine".  I replaced the 2413S PLM with a 2413U. I followed the procedure in the document "replace modem.pdf". After that' about half of my Insteon devices were working.  I had to try "write updates to device", "restore device" or "restore link between xxx and controller" to get most of the devices working, but a few of the devices, like a 2475S and two 2487S's that were working reliably now refuse to communicate.

Additionally, a couple Zigbee devices that were working perfectly are no longer reporting their status. I don't understand how Zigbee devices were affected at all by replacing the PLM. 

Looking at the event viewer, there are tons of X10-RX J10/status request (10) messages.  Several per second. I remember seeing some of these before I replaced the PLM, but now there are many more.

Any Idea what happened here? 

Thanks.

-Rick

There's probably other possibilities, but I'd look at this:

When was your last back up? It's possible that the PLM has been dying slowly (happened to me) and when you made the last back up mattered. If the back up is recent and during the time the previous PLM was corrupted, you unintentionally restored corrupt data to the new PLM. I'm leaning this way because the X10 J codes are all bits set and could mean a panicking PLM

• Factory reset the PLM
  • Find a backup you believe is before the time you think the PLM failed.. eg when did you first notice things going wrong.. before then
  • Restore it and see how you do

Nobody including me likes to hear this, but you might be looking at factory resetting uncooperative devices (2475S and 2487S's) and re-adding them

I took one of the 2475's and one of the 2487's out of the system and then tried to re-link them.  Surprisingly, I'm getting the error "cannot determine Insteon engine", even though both of these devices were fine with the earlier PLM. 

Here's where it get really strange: I just discovered that none of my programs are working, even though all are enabled. 

At this point I think it may be best for me to pay for a remote support session.  There's just too much unexpected stuff happening.

11 hours ago, rick.curl said:

I took one of the 2475's and one of the 2487's out of the system and then tried to re-link them.  Surprisingly, I'm getting the error "cannot determine Insteon engine", even though both of these devices were fine with the earlier PLM. 

Here's where it get really strange: I just discovered that none of my programs are working, even though all are enabled. 

At this point I think it may be best for me to pay for a remote support session.  There's just too much unexpected stuff happening.

Check the link count for the PLM and check to make sure the PLM shows as connected. How to is in the wiki.

3 hours ago, DennisC said:

Check the link count for the PLM and check to make sure the PLM shows as connected. How to is in the wiki.

I only have 5 links in the PLM but I have around 50 devices in my system.  The wiki tells what to do if the count is zero or 900, but not if there are only a few links.

46 minutes ago, rick.curl said:

I only have 5 links in the PLM but I have around 50 devices in my system.  The wiki tells what to do if the count is zero or 900, but not if there are only a few links.

I doubt this will work, but try a restore PLM. You can also try moving the PLM to another circuit.

If that doesn't work, the PLM is most likely no good.

Restore PLM didn't help. The replacement PLM is brand new, but I guess that's no guarantee that it works properly. The PLM is on the same circuit that I have used for several years now.

Looks like it's time to put the old PLM back in.

27 minutes ago, rick.curl said:

The PLM is on the same circuit that I have used for several years now.

And you changed it why? It doesn't hurt to try a new circuit, just in case something new was added and is interfering, or there is a power supply somewhere going bad. You can use a long cat 5 cable for testing.

I already went back to the original PLM.  It's working MUCH better.  I have 96 links in the table now. the problem with the original PLM was that when I tried to link a 2475F I got a "Cannot determine Insteon Engine" error, and occasionally the were communication errors to some of the devices.

Does this indicate that the new USB PLM is defective? 

UPDATE:  I spoke too soon. After going back to the original PLM everything was working well, and I had 96 links in the PLM.  then I realized I failed to click on "Restore PLM".  Now I only have 5 links and most of my system is broken.  How can I recover from this?

Edited by rick.curl

It's important to know that your backup is good. If the back up was made when the old PLM was in a corrupt state, you'll keep going in circles... New PLM or old

Do you have a backup from before the time you noticed PLM problems?

Edited by paulbates

15 minutes ago, rick.curl said:

UPDATE:  I spoke too soon. After going back to the original PLM everything was working well, and I had 96 links in the PLM.  then I realized I failed to click on "Restore PLM".  Now I only have 5 links and most of my system is broken.  How can I recover from this?

It is possible there is some noise interfering with the Insteon signal.

First step would be to try placing the PLM on a different circuit.

Next try turning breakers off one at a time and check if things get better.

There are details in the wiki.

On 12/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, paulbates said:

It's important to know that your backup is good. If the back up was made when the old PLM was in a corrupt state, you'll keep going in circles... New PLM or old

Do you have a backup from before the time you noticed PLM problems?

Yes- but at this point I've got so many things screwed up that I paid for remote programming support. It seems like I am breaking everything I touch so I don't want to dig myself in deeper.  

On 12/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, DennisC said:

It is possible there is some noise interfering with the Insteon signal.

First step would be to try placing the PLM on a different circuit.

Next try turning breakers off one at a time and check if things get better.

There are details in the wiki.

I did as you suggest.  No joy. Here's the strange thing- If I reboot the PLM and then look at the event viewer it looks OK for a while and then I get flooded with "J/Status Report (10)" messages. Look at this thread: 

I tried two PLM's- one serial and one USB.  Same problem with both.  

As in one of the posts in the thread- I can try turning off circuit breakers but the messages persist UNLESS I am on generator. I'm throwing in the towel and going for a remote programming session in hopes they can get me straightened out.

50 minutes ago, rick.curl said:

Here's the strange thing- If I reboot the PLM and then look at the event viewer it looks OK for a while and then I get flooded with "J/Status Report (10)" messages. Look at this thread: 

Having lost a couple of PLMs, you are describing "the beginning of the end" of an older PLM. The "ok" period after resetting will get smaller until it stops working. I would mention this in the remote programming session, my suggestion is getting help rebuilding your network on the new PLM

11 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Having lost a couple of PLMs, you are describing "the beginning of the end" of an older PLM. The "ok" period after resetting will get smaller until it stops working. I would mention this in the remote programming session, my suggestion is getting help rebuilding your network on the new PLM

The USB PLM is only a few days old.  I'll make sure the remote support person is aware of that.

Great news! A few hours after I paid for the remote session I got a call from Stephen Lee.  I gave him remote access to my PC and a short time later he had everything running smoothly.  That guy knows his stuff! Very pleased!!

-Rick

• Like 2