Control vs Status

Kentinada
Go to solution Solved by larryllix,

I know there is a wiki page somewhere that describes the difference between control and status but I can't find it.  I have this very simple program but the Then clause never runs when the light is turned on.  I thought this was proper use of Control rather that Status.  Why doesn't this run? Thanks. 

If

'Office / OnOff-9.1 On-Off Module' is switched On 

Then

Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover UDEISYPO' System Custom Content 3 Notification ID

Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover UDEISYPO' Device KBM_iPhone

Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover UDEISYPO' Send Message

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

3 minutes ago, Kentinada said:

I know there is a wiki page somewhere that describes the difference between control and status but I can't find it.  I have this very simple program but the Then clause never runs when the light is turned on.  I thought this was proper use of Control rather that Status.  Why doesn't this run? Thanks. 

If

'Office / OnOff-9.1 On-Off Module' is switched On 

Then

Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover UDEISYPO' System Custom Content 3 Notification ID

Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover UDEISYPO' Device KBM_iPhone

Set 'Notification Controller / Service Pushover UDEISYPO' Send Message

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Is your switch an Insteon or Z-wave? I've found that when using "Control" with some Z-Wave devices, my Eisy doesn't catch the control action quick enough to trigger the program. Using status seems to have helped that.

10 minutes ago, Javi said:

Control requires physical control of the same device (i.e. pushing a button/paddle), and will evaluate a program even if the last control was the same.  Status is the state of the device, will not evaluate a program unless the state changes.

@JaviIf a program A turns a device on, will program B see it as the device being switched on or would program B be looking for a change in the device status?

1 hour ago, Javi said:

Control requires physical control of the same device (i.e. pushing a button/paddle), and will evaluate a program even if the last control was the same.  Status is the state of the device, will not evaluate a program unless the state changes.

@Javi so if this is an INSTEON 2635-222 plug in on/off module, then Control won't work with it and I must use Status - correct? 

Just now, Kentinada said:

@Javi so if this is an INSTEON 2635-222 plug in on/off module, then Control won't work with it and I must use Status - correct? 

Try doing a Restore on that device. As I always understood it, Control and Status reports come in on different channels from an Insteon device and one link can be bad while others still work OK.

Just now, Kentinada said:

@larryllix I did the restore on the on/off module and it made no difference.  Still didn't fire the Then clause. 

This is turning on and off a floor lamp in my office by my desk and computer. I use it test this kind of stuff.  So thru the AC, I turn the light off and a few seconds later turn it back on.  Is this too quick? 

I believe the program is actually firing when you turn 'Office / OnOff-9.1 On-Off Module'  on. The reason you're not seeing any notifications is because your "Then" statements either aren't doing anything, or erroring out. 

Before writing a program, test the notifications individually to make sure they are working

Edit.. to prove this theory right (or wrong) add the following statement in the then

Your devices
'Office / OnOff-9.1 On-Off Module' 
pick "Beep" from the drop down as the action

When you turn the device on, it will beep at the device, showing that "Control" is actually working

Edited by paulbates
3 hours ago, Kentinada said:

Control should work if you are pressing the button on the side of the device.  If you are not pressing the button then Status will work.

Think of Control as an real world touch Action not related to Status (or state).

3 hours ago, Kentinada said:

This is turning on and off a floor lamp in my office by my desk and computer. I use it test this kind of stuff.  So thru the AC, I turn the light off and a few seconds later turn it back on.  Is this too quick? 

This will not work with Control as the device was not touched.  This will work with Status if the Status changed.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dbuss said:

@JaviIf a program A turns a device on, will program B see it as the device being switched on or would program B be looking for a change in the device status?

Program B would not evaluate for Control Condition as the device was not touched.  Program B would evaluate a Status Condition if the Status changed (i.e. was not already on at the same level).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Javi said:

Program B would not evaluate for Control Condition as the device was not touched.  Program B would evaluate a Status Condition if the Status changed (i.e. was not already on at the same level).

Thank you for the explanation!

• Solution
5 hours ago, Kentinada said:

"Control" detects the device pushbuttons have changed, while 'Status' detects the state of the electronics controlled from anywhere, has changed..

9 hours ago, Kentinada said:

@Javi and @larryllix thanks for that explanation.  When I use the buttons on the side of the 2635, it does in fact run the Then clause.  Since I turn this on via motion sensor, I'll use status instead.  Case closed.  

Or use the motion sensor as the trigger in the if clause.  A motion sensor triggers a "control" upon sensing motion.  "Control" means the origin of the signal is that device, however it might detect the world.  So a switch -> you pushed it, a motion sensor -> detected motion, a water sensor -> detected water, an iolinc -> had the "i" part detect a change, etc.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 4:15 PM, Kentinada said:

OK changing the Control to Status and the Then clause executes.  But I thought Control was the way to go.  If I use Status, doesn't that constantly query the device for the status rather than only when the status changes which I what I though control did? 

Native ISY doesn't poll devices. However NS devices are based on the code writer's choice.
Insteon signals are all initiated by the end device and no polling should ever need to take place, middle of the night queries excepted.