Notifications for Dummies

Kentinada

After spending many hours trying to understand all the information I could find about setting up custom notifications for my Eisy, I decided to write this "Notifications for Dummies" help file in the hopes that if there is some other person out there who is struggling with this, then this doc will help.   This is also applicable to UD Mobile but I am posting here and will let the moderators decide if it should be moved or stay here or be in both forums.  

If you have any feedback or suggested improvements, let me know. 

Notifications for Dummies.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is a great, easy to follow guide.  Thanks for putting it together. 
I have basic notifications working, but I can’t get the default notification message template to appear on my customization tab (page 6 of pdf).  If I hit ‘add’ I get a blank row that is Name.28.

Anything I missed?

16 hours ago, Kentinada said:

After spending many hours trying to understand all the information I could find about setting up custom notifications for my Eisy, I decided to write this "Notifications for Dummies" help file in the hopes that if there is some other person out there who is struggling with this, then this doc will help.   This is also applicable to UD Mobile but I am posting here and will let the moderators decide if it should be moved or stay here or be in both forums.  

If you have any feedback or suggested improvements, let me know. 

Notifications for Dummies.pdf 1.08 MB · 22 downloads

Great work!   I'll add that when UDM automatically creates a notifications a new program is created.  Also the "Portal" Node Server is the "Occupancy Node Server".

28 minutes ago, bob123 said:

This is a great, easy to follow guide.  Thanks for putting it together. 
I have basic notifications working, but I can’t get the default notification message template to appear on my customization tab (page 6 of pdf).  If I hit ‘add’ I get a blank row that is Name.28.

Anything I missed?

Create at least one notification from UD Mobile by following the YouTube Video. UDM will automatically configure the Notification Node Server with your Portal API Key. When creating a new Notification (program) from  UDM, UDM will create the "UD Mobile Event Template" if it does not exist, UDM will create a new "UD Mobile Event Template (1)" (number will increase if 1 already exists) if the user modifies the original Template.   Note that the template is shared by all notifications programs created by UD Mobile, so it is best practice to copy the template, or create a new template, if you would like to change the content. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fabulous. Candidly, I spent a lot of hoursabout 7 years ago when setting up my isy. Wiki is great but written by experienced folks who often assume certain understandings as a predicate. Native to them, not so much newbies.

This is exactly what I wish there was more of. Bravo!

• 5 weeks later...