Home Assistant Overlaid Over EISY

@DualBandAid

Apologies, we should have been more clear and I will update the documentation.

What you need to do is to ssh into eisy.

On Mac, use the terminal app on your Mac and type:

ssh admin@eisy.local

Enter the password for admin (default is admin but please change immediately). 

Once logged in, you are now on eisy and do the rest on eisy.

With kind regards,

Michel

20 minutes ago, giomania said:

This is great news. 

What size M.2 NVME SSD is sufficient? Optimal? Obviously, if we are turning it up to 11, it would be the max of 1 TB, lol.

Then, do we need to set up the SSD first via the instructions to configure the OS, located here: https://developer.isy.io/blog/NVMe? Or will the Home Assistant script take care of that as well?

Thank you.

I was able to get a 1 TB for $70 at a local Bestbuy but if you are not a developer or use the eisy for other stuff I'm sure 128 G would be more than adequate considering if I'm reading the script for HA  properly it only takes 16 G.

The SSD needs to be set-up according to the link then the HA script uses a portion of the drive to create the VM. That is my understanding of it all.

• Like 2

This, is a very interesting development.  (And I appreciate the willingness of UD to wander off the beaten support path a little.)  I need to get smarter with HA specifics (something I've been meaning to focus on for awhile if only there were more hours in the day) and, I've had a new EISY sitting on my bench for a couple months now waiting to start taking over home automation duties from the ISY994i (which I was planning to do manually, when those additional hours in the day showed up) -- when I stumbled on this.

If we somehow manage to bork or brick our EISY's, are the steps to restore it to a factory image documented somewhere?  (Sorry if I missed an obvious link or reference.)

Also, is there a folder structure we can save/restore to an external location (with scp or rsync -- I'll figure that part out) that will allow a quick save/restore of the running IoX configuration?

@ndfan77,

Very good question and the short answer is yes. The long answer:

1. Have good backups of IoX and PG3.

2. Reinstall udx and isy packages. In 99% the cases, those services will sanity check the system and reconfigure everything if necessary (you will need to restore backup from 1).

3. If all else fails, contact tech support and we'll give you the instructions to reflash the drive .

4. And if that fails, you can send it in for repair.

In all cases, you're covered. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Thanks 2

In addition to running HA as a VM with bhyve on EISY I think I'd also like to try running HA as a Docker container on EISY.  (I already have Docker running on several ESX Alpine VMs, and on a bare metal Fedora box -- but I can see some advantages to having Docker running on the EISY, and I suspect HA would be easier to manage/upgrade/downgrade as a container than as a VM.)

I've done a lot of enterprise network and system administration with Cisco, Red Hat, CentOS, Alpine Linux, Windows Server (MCSE), Active Directory (MCSE), vSphere/VMware/ESX, and Docker, along with quite a few other types of system/network administration.  (And before all that, back "in the DOS days" I wrote a lot of systems level code in x86 protected mode assembly language, including a TCP/IP stack from scratch, routing and firewall code, and multi-threaded smtp/http/dns/etc servers.)

FreeBSD is one of the *NIX's I haven't messed a lot with (but that never stopped me before).  I know there's some Docker on FreeBSD documentation already out there, and I'll be fine on my own, but I suspect I may want to "reflash" a few times along the way.  It'd be great if you could share (privately if necessary) the reflash steps.  If Docker seems like a viable approach I'll be happy to share my documentation.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@ndfan77,

Unfortunately docker and BSD don't mix very well. The closest was Jail and now bhyve. 

Didn't see that coming.  This thread and this thread seems to be echoing just that (but I have to say that overall the tone doesn't seem like it reflects well on FreeBSD).  Well, so much for the brief notion that I might also be able to move my UniFi controller (and a few other light-duty containers) over to the EISY!

@ndfan77 What about (for science!) coming at it from the other side - running EISY in a VM or container on other hardware? Secure boot might screw with this if it’s in use (?) for the EISY stack, and be entirely unsupported, but you might be able to P2V the bhyve instance or maybe something like qemu-img would help convert the disk image to mount with another HV. Then you’d be off to the races with a beefier host. Not sure what M would think of this - the EULA For your EISY may demand only their hardware kinda like MacOS does.

• Like 1

Not specific to me, just responding to post saying they had a gaggle of systems to load up on one host. If they can’t load them all up on the eisy hardware, what about running the eisy VM on a different host? I can imagine some issues there, but if I had one I’d have a hard time not trying it just to satisfy curiosity. What’s your position on doing so, acknowledging such a person would floating out into deep space alone without a tether (no support, no sympathy)? Known issues with boot process (like tied to the tpm)? Prefer people don’t do that (which is entirely fair)?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, akss said:

@ndfan77 What about (for science!) coming at it from the other side - running EISY in a VM or container on other hardware? Secure boot might screw with this if it’s in use (?) for the EISY stack, and be entirely unsupported, but you might be able to P2V the bhyve instance or maybe something like qemu-img would help convert the disk image to mount with another HV. Then you’d be off to the races with a beefier host. Not sure what M would think of this - the EULA For your EISY may demand only their hardware kinda like MacOS does.

I don't want to appear to discount or under appreciate the significant R&D effort UD has invested in the ISY/Polisy/EISY/IoX/PGx platforms (and I'm probably missing something).  But yeah, I couldn't help but think it would have been perfect if:  1) EISY was running Alpine Linux with Docker (this combination is very small, very fast, and very stable).  2) IoX and PG3 were running in a Docker container (FreeBSD or ported to Alpine), and 3) we could easily run additional containers.  But, I have zero expectation anything like that would be anywhere close to getting on UD's radar anytime soon!  (But #2, I'd actually be willing to donate time to help with that if it ever did...)