Massive network traffic (updated:) after user created infinite loop (was:) update to 5.8.0 related to NTP

Andy P
Go to solution Solved by Andy P,

Looking at my UniFi dashboard today I saw that one of my EISY hubs has been bombarding my network with traffic for the last week. Looks like over 500mb per day. I looked at the error log and saw nothing unusual. Then I opened the event viewer and turned on debug and it looks like something is crazy with the time server. I rebooted the hub and it went away but generated something almost 1.5 GB of traffic over the last week. I think this happened when I updated to 5.8.0. Did not open a ticket since the problem went away  - but posting here for awareness and comment.

Andy

image.png.26ed2c09c3bcccbcc2a197804e677593.png

image.thumb.png.94e7a6aca4a5367dc05f6858e1dfb8f5.png

Edited by Andy P
Changed name of post to reflect issue
Posted (edited)

Still a mystery - traffic started Saturday morning at 2am and ended when I did the reboot today

image.thumb.png.4692f7071bd2c21848419ffc3485f0c4.png

(and there is nothing in the log at that time other than some current voltage level on an energy plug that reports every 5 minutes)

Edited by Andy P
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

OK, I did this to myself. Michel set me on the right track when he told me I had created a program with an infinite loop.

So, over the weekend I was updating my config and changed a bunch of devices. When going through the programs looking for places I had to change devices which no longer existed I looked at the Query All program and it had an error in the Then statement. I deleted that statement and put in Run Program - Query All - which just caused it to run itself. I should have put in:

Set 'Barn EISY' Query

So, I assume this is fixed and will close this thread.  I don't know how the query all program got messed up originally but I know that I made it worse.

Thanks, Michel.

Andy

Edited by Andy P
  • Like 1