Node Address/Primary Node Address--What's the Difference & How To Determine

Go to solution Solved by Chas717,

I recently successfully installed the node server for my DSC alarm system. The EISY immediately recognized as nodes eight alarm zones out of the 27 zones I have, so I now want to add nodes for the rest of the zones. The add node screen calls for both a "node address"  (which I think I can figure out) and a "primary node address". What is the difference between those two addresses, and how do I determine what they are? Thanks.

If you're talking about the Add Node menu option in the Admin Console, ignore that.  It's not used for Polyglot based node servers and won't work.

The node server should be detecting all 27 zones and if it's not, then it's probably a problem with the node server and is probably not something you can fix without help from the node server author ( @Goose66 I think).  He'll likely need to see the node server log showing it starting.  To prepare, you might want to switch the node server log level to debug, restart the node server then download the log package and have it ready.

You can also look through the log and see if anything jumps out as a problem.  I believe the node server queries the DSC panel for the zone information and then creates nodes for each zone it finds.  So it may be throwing errors for zones it is not creating.

Look in the release notes for the plugin. It describes how to use the Custom Configuration Parameters to drive what nodes are created. The EnvisaLink doesn’t provide any indication of the configuration of the DSC panel. It defaults to 1 partition and 8 zones if you don’t set any configuration parameters.

• Solution

Based on your suggestion I tried both restarting the plugin and re-installing it (hadn't realized those weravailable), neither of which worked. So then I deleted it altogether and did a fresh install with the correct parameters and all zones were detected and it's working great. Thanks for your help!