Configuring eisy to boot from an NVMe SSD without losing VMs

giomania
Go to solution Solved by mapeter,

I saw this blog post about configuring the eisy to boot from an NVMe SSD, and it clearly states the process will wipe out any VMs installed. I just installed Home Assistant a few weeks ago on the NVMe SSD, and don't really want to lose it. That said, I would like to use the SSD for the extra performance benefits noted in the blog post. Will the migration without the loss of installed VMs be supported in the future?

Thank you.

https://developer.isy.io/blog/Supercharged

sudo vm poweroff -f homeassistant

And then backup everything in /storage, and you should be able to boot from the NVME and put everything back.

Edit: doesn't seem the case, but this is BSD, I'm sure there's a method of doing it, you just may be restricted in storage space for the backup.

Edited by jec6613

Related question: I haven't added home assistant, and have no immediate plans to, but ..

If I do this ssd upgrade process to my stock eisy, and at some point want to execute the script to add an HA VM to my eisy, would that script be exactly the same on the HW modified eisy?

34 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Related question: I haven't added home assistant, and have no immediate plans to, but ..

If I do this ssd upgrade process to my stock eisy, and at some point want to execute the script to add an HA VM to my eisy, would that script be exactly the same on the HW modified eisy?

There are separate instructions for installing and initializing the SSD and for installing for HA in a VM, so it seems like it would be the same script to install HA, but we would need an expert to chime in.

Mark

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, giomania said:

There are separate instructions for installing and initializing the SSD and for installing for HA in a VM, so it seems like it would be the same script to install HA, but we would need an expert to chime in.

Mark

Right, understood Mark. I'm wondering if installing the drive makes it a different volume, etc, so that that HA vm script wouldn't work (?)

Paul

Save the home assistant configuration then restore it. It worked for me after doing the SSD boot upgrade.

in HA: Settings, --> System --> Backup.

Save the backup file, tar file, on the computer the you remoted into HA.

After a full reinstall and a new HA is running, restore the backup. At the main HA login screen don't setup a new account. select restore from backup. Select complete backup

Well I threw all caution to the wind and tried to perform the action but I can not get it to run. I created the file with vi and when I perform     ./setup.nvme.boot I get ./setup.nvme.boot: Command not found. Maybe once it is included in the next udx release it will work for me.

3 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

Does one of the setup commands describe itself as making the script file an executable file?

I thought the .sh file did that

Once the file is saved, make sure you update its permission:

chmod 700 setup_nvme_boot.sh

Run the script

Type:

sudo -i

This way, you will be running as root. So, be very careful!

Once done, type:

./setup.nvme.boot

Wait for the process to complete!

@hart2hart thanks for the help

before     chmod 700 setup_nvme_boot.sh

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4517 Feb 11 14:39 setup_nvme_boot.sh

then

-rwx------  1 root  wheel  4517 Feb 11 14:39 setup_nvme_boot.sh

after chmod +x setup_nvme_boot.sh

-rwx--x--x  1 root  wheel  4517 Feb 11 14:39 setup_nvme_boot.sh

But still just goes to next line I think there has to be something wrong with the script because it goes to the next line. Or maybe because my NVME is already setup not sure.

2 minutes ago, TJF1960 said:

I am having the same issue with the installation, "setup_nvme_boot: command not found" 

I even tried adding .sh to the end of the command " setup_nvme_boot.sh: command not found

-Tim

Did you try ./setup_nvme_boot.sh When I run that it goes to the next line but nothing happens.

I noticed pasting the script from the website it was cutting the

#!/bin/sh

remove_emmc_

out of the beginning for some reason so I used ee to create the file and that did not cut off the beginning but I get the same results.

@Michel Kohanim do you have any idea why when I run the script it just returns to the next line and does not seem to do anything?

7 hours ago, tazman said:

Did you try ./setup_nvme_boot.sh When I run that it goes to the next line but nothing happens.

To get the script to run I had to use:

bash -c "source ~admin/setup_nvme_boot.sh; setup_nvme_boot"

To get the function to be called in the shell script.

Edited by stevesreed

after running with 

everything works correctly.

rebooted and everything is up and running on a big, fast SSD :)

[admin@eisy ~]$    gpart show 
=>        40  1953525088  nvd0  GPT  (932G)
          40      131072     1  efi  (64M)
      131112  1927282688     2  freebsd-zfs  (919G)
  1927413800     8388608     3  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
  1935802408    17722720        - free -  (8.5G)
Edited by stevesreed
removed my stupid mistake
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, stevesreed said:

To get the script to run I had to use:

To get the function to be called in the shell script.

If I have time tonight I will give that a try thanks!

@stevesreed when I run: 

I get this:

nvme0: WD_BLACK SN850X 1000GB

nvme0ns1 (953869MB)

adding GTP partition to nvd0 ...

gpart: geom 'nvd0': Operation not permitted

error: failed creating gpt partition ...

I get the same error even if I run this:

sudo gpart create -s gpt nvd0

I am stuck... 

• Solution

I opened a ticket over the weekend about the script and Michel's response stated to wait for the next udx release (mid this week). It includes fully tested scripts so that all you have to do is to run couple of commands.

• Like 3