Hidden Door Sensor Battery Life?

gweempose

I recently integrated a couple hidden door sensors into my home. They work great, but the battery drains mucher quicker than I would have expected. Normal alkaline batteries only seem to last 3-4 weeks at most. Is this normal? At my old house, I had a couple of open/close sensors, and the batteries lasted way longer in them.

Edited by gweempose

@gweempose

I also get at least 6 months, usually longer. Check your sensor options to make sure the sensor isn't reporting heartbeat or orther data more than it should.

You may want to try factory resetting the sensor(s)

Did you buy them direct from Insteon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Techman said:

Did you buy them direct from Insteon?

No. I actually got them off eBay. Supposedly, they were new, but now I have my doubts.

You may want to try factory resetting the sensor(s)

How do you factory reset them? Should I remove them from the eisy first?

29 minutes ago, gweempose said:

No. I actually got them off eBay. Supposedly, they were new, but now I have my doubts.

How do you factory reset them? Should I remove them from the eisy first?

There may be a caution for other buyers of "new" Insteon devices off eBay.

This is not about the hidden sensor but rather the mount on the frame unit.

I purchased a "new" door/window sensor from eBay about a year ago and it killed the AA battery inside every week to 2 weeks for the last year. I checked the actual battery capacity a few times and yes they were always dead.

I finally order a new door/window sensor from aartech.ca, now that they have stock from the new Insteon about 6 weeks ago and the AA battery is still working fine.

Edited by larryllix
  • Like 1

If you bought them off Ebay there's a very good chance they're used, so it's best to factory reset them. After the reset do a restore device which will rewrite the link tables stored in your controller to the device(s).

What is the 4 diget date code, hardware and firmware verson of the sensor(s)

The factory reset instructions are attached

Factory reset.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gweempose said:

0615 v1.4

5014 v1.4

How do I determine the firmware version?

The firmware version shows up in the device window in the admin console. the current firmware version is v.47

Current hardware version is v1.6 . Your sensors were manufactured  in 2014 and 2015. The versions now shipping were made in 2019.

i got rid of all mine for this exact reason...battery life was absolutely horrible.

I put in some Aeotec hidden z-wave sensors and batteries last almost 18 months.. plus i can set a low battery warning that i couldnt do with the insteons. They had the info but never seemed to update it..the z-wave ones do...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PT71MM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The firmware version shows up in the device window in the admin console. the current firmware version is v.47

Current hardware version is v1.6 . Your sensors were manufactured  in 2014 and 2015. The versions now shipping were made in 2019.

The firmware for both of them is v.44. Would the newer ones with current firmware have better battery life?

@gweempose

Unfortunately Insteon doesn't provide release notes for their firmware and hardware updates so it difficult to say what improvements were made in the later versions.

The short battery life you're experiencing is not normal. If a factory reset doesn't resolve your issue then you can always try buying a sensor directly from Insteon which will have the lastest  firmware  and hardware versions.