Insteon II motion sensor off time out

Hello,  I can't get any of the option in Insteon motion sensor II to help me...

If you are in the kitchen,  the md sends on,  and you turn on lights for 4 minutes with counter.  But,  if you never get out of md range,  it never gets out of 10 second "off time out" and never sends another on command.

I do receive command when the "off time out" does time out,  but this makes the program silly.

How do I program when the person is in kitchen for entire 4 minutes and the "off time out" never times out ?

thanks for any hints.

bill

Edited by Pico

I do something similar for my garage and it works.

• I put the MS and switch(es) in a scene, so the sensor turns the light turns on instantly
  • I have a program watching for the MS to turn on
  • it waits 10 minutes and then turns lights off

I have the MSII configured

• Its plugged in, not battery
  • I set it to send on only as my program turns it off
  • It waits 10 second before sensing movement (this may be part of the issue you're having, how long is the time out)
  • If you are battery, you may want to make this closer to the 4 minutes, but just under

image.thumb.png.22a5f28d9aa5cb667c1c1347f25547e3.png

Yes,  I bet you have same problem.  if you are in garage md range for entire 10 minutes,  the lights will go out.  You can't get them to go on until you go outside garage and count to 10.....

I guess I could just set to go on for 15 minutes and call it a day...  but that would be a defeat.

I do this all over my house using two programs. Here is an example. Works just fine. Never have the lights turn out if I am making motion.  This is a battery MS II.

Office Motion On - [ID 0122][Parent 0132]

If
        From    Sunrise -  1 hour 
        To       9:30:00PM (same day)
    And (
             'MD Office' is switched On
          Or 'MD Office' Status is On
        )
    And (
             'Office Desk' Status is Off
          Or 'Office Cans' Status is Off
        )

Then
        Set 'Office' Fast On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Office Motion Off - [ID 0176][Parent 0132]

If
        'MD Office' Status is Off
    And (
             'Office Cans' Status is not Off
          Or 'Office Desk' Status is not Off
        )

Then
        Wait  10 minutes 
        Set 'Office' Off
        Wait  1 second
        Set 'Office' Off

Else

And here is second way I do it>...

Exercize Motion on - [ID 0138][Parent 0139]

If
        'MD Exercize Room-Sensor' is switched On
     Or 'MD Exercize Room-Sensor' Status is On
    And (
             From    Sunrise
             To      Sunset  (same day)
        )

Then
        Repeat Every  19 seconds
           Set 'Excer Cans' Fast On
           Run Program 'Exercize Motion Off' (Then Path)

Else

Exercize Motion Off - [ID 0106][Parent 0139]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Wait  5 minutes 
        Set 'Excer Cans' Off

Else

And in all cases, I also have a "delay" program so that if someone turns the light off manually, the MS doesn't turn it back on right away..so that they can exit the room w/o triggering it. Here's what that program looks like for each of the cases above. 

Office Delay on - [ID 011B][Parent 0132]

If
        'Office Cans' is switched Off
    And (
             'Office Desk' Status is not Off
          Or 'Office Cans' Status is not Off
        )

Then
        Disable Program 'Office Motion On'

Else
        Wait  7 seconds
        Enable Program 'Office Motion On'

Exercize Delay on - [ID 0100][Parent 0139]

If
        'Excer Cans' Status is not Off
    And 'Excer Cans' is switched Off

Then
        Disable Program 'Exercize Motion on'

Else
        Wait  12 seconds
        Enable Program 'Exercize Motion on'

Edited by dbwarner5
posted the wrong program
3 hours ago, Pico said:

if you are in garage md range for entire 10 minutes,  the lights will go out.  You can't get them to go on until you go outside garage and count to 10....

No, it's the opposite of that.

If there is movement in the garage, the lights to go on, and stay on from the last motion + 10 minutes.... every time. Each time the MS fires, it turns on the scene and restarts the program; which restarts the timer. If they get turned off, and I went back in, they'd come back on... timer program running, or not.

I adopted this from my outside and driveway motion lights at my last house, and learned this method from others here.

Here is the program

Garage Motion - [ID 0042][Parent 0041]

If
        'Garage / Garage Motion.1 Motion' is switched On

Then
        Wait  10 minutes 
        Set 'Garage / Garage Lights' Off

Else

Edited by paulbates
2 hours ago, paulbates said:

No, it's the opposite of that.

If there is movement in the garage, the lights to go on, and stay on from the last motion + 10 minutes.... every time. Each time the MS fires, it turns on the scene and restarts the program; which restarts the timer. If they get turned off, and I went back in, they'd come back on... timer program running, or not.

I adopted this from my outside and driveway motion lights at my last house, and learned this method from others here.

Here is the program

Garage Motion - [ID 0042][Parent 0041]

If
        'Garage / Garage Motion.1 Motion' is switched On

Then
        Wait  10 minutes 
        Set 'Garage / Garage Lights' Off

Else

The MS II was released with a design defect. If the MS timer inside it ever times out and and thinks the lights are Off, the MS II has to see no motion for the length of the timer or it will never send another On signal. Block Off signals make no difference.

The only work-around I have found is to set a very short On/Off timer duration in the MS II, send On codes only, and hope the blanks spots are never noticeable. I have three MS IIs but still use my original MSes due to this defect, in applications for lighting control. I only use my MS IIs for occupancy detection with very short time delays.

When the MS II came out there was a lot of discussion about this defect but most older posts have been lost AFAICT.

I had hoped the new Insteon company would actually fix this engineering defect but in view of no response or acknowledgement  from several contacts regarding this, I have lost hope. Without real sensors for the Insteon system it has just become a remote control system.

59 minutes ago, larryllix said:

The only work-around I have found is to set a very short On/Off timer duration in the MS II, send On codes only, and hope the blanks spots are never noticeable. I have three MS IIs but still use my original MSes due to this defect, in applications for lighting control. I only use my MS IIs for occupancy detection with very short time delays.

Guess I didn't remember that. Occupancy & lighting is the only thing I need to do. The On Only use goes back to my original MS1, that's the only way I'd use it. Since this one is hardwire powered, I was ok with a shorter wait cycle.. but have always kept it a couple minutes or less

It does work. After reading your post, my wife was leaving through the garage. I took 4 screen shots of the program.. 

1. When she opened the door to the garage
  2. She backed her car out
  3. I waited 5 minutes and opened the door (had to visit the drinks fridge 😉👍)
  4. Waited for 10 minutes after my last garage movement. 

The second and third time, the program restarted and the 10 minutes started again

Screenshot_20240222-182951_Original.png

Screenshot_20240222-183040_Original.png

Screenshot_20240222-183509_Original.png

share_4252987883026428388_Original.png

Edited by paulbates
4 hours ago, paulbates said:

Guess I didn't remember that. Occupancy & lighting is the only thing I need to do. The On Only use goes back to my original MS1, that's the only way I'd use it. Since this one is hardwire powered, I was ok with a shorter wait cycle.. but have always kept it a couple minutes or less

It does work. After reading your post, my wife was leaving through the garage. I took 4 screen shots of the program.. 

1. When she opened the door to the garage
  2. She backed her car out
  3. I waited 5 minutes and opened the door (had to visit the drinks fridge 😉👍)
  4. Waited for 10 minutes after my last garage movement. 

The second and third time, the program restarted and the 10 minutes started again

Screenshot_20240222-182951_Original.png

Screenshot_20240222-183040_Original.png

Screenshot_20240222-183509_Original.png

share_4252987883026428388_Original.png

You have your timeOff set to 10 seconds which was my point I was trying impress on others. If yu set it for say...10 minutes and it ever timesOut internally you will require 10 minutes of dead time before the MS II will be useful again.

This affected the way people could use the MS II from the original MS 1. I used to set the MS timeout for say 10-15 minutes as a backup to the program timer of say 30 seconds. You can't use them that way anymore. Same with people depending solely on Insteon links between devices. If they set a 10 minute timeOff in the garage and it goes through it's cycle to Off, the MS II is dead until it sees no motion for the 10 minutes. They used one timer for both cycles and made the timer  retriggerable for  both directions.

I my MBR I use one for two bedside table lamps but I can occasionally detect that dead gap time. However I am using the same short cycle, on only programming as you are. As per you, mine are plugged into USB PSUs. Love that part!

Perhaps the new Insteon people have corrected this goof, assuming you have recent models. It would be interesting to prove this on your new MS II units.