Is UD Portal Required?

I read in the Wiki about the UD Portal:

ISY Portal allows you to connect to ISY remotely and without the need for port forwarding. Furthermore, ISY Portal enables Amazon Echo, Google Home and IFTTT integration.

I'm trying to simplify my home automation by eliminating platforms/products I don't really need. I've been on the UDI track since the early ISYs and currently have a Polisy just for the Insteon Interface with Home Assistant and I don't have any Node Servers.

So if I'm not using any of those technologies do I really need a Portal Account?

Portal is required for alexa and google, home, I believe.  It may also simplify connection to ud mobile app and remote access.  I donkt recall that it had a funtion regarding node servers. Given what you have described, I don’t think you need a portal subscription.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this: if you've been in since the beginning, think back to before the portal existed.  Everything you needed to do then can still be done without the portal - in some cases the portal makes things easier, but there's still an old-school way to get it done.

It sounds like all you want to do is maintain and troubleshoot your Insteon (and maybe Z-Wave?) network(s) and make them fully available to HA.  I too would guess that you don't need the portal subscription.

-Tom

7 minutes ago, xlurkr said:

think back to before the portal existed. 

If only my memory were that good. Also, I could never be sure that UDI hadn't expanded the Portal Account's requirements elsewhere other than just remote, Alexa and Google. I believe Portal authentication is used on their website and for some things in conjunction with PG3.