My experience with Hubitat/Housepanel nodeserver in 2024

/rant on

Hi

I use and enjoy my Polisy Pro every day.  I wanted to have Polisy control some lights stuck on Hubitat (more info available if interested).

Paid $20 for Hubitat node server and have been unable to understand/login/configure Hubitat node server.

From PG3x, installed paid for Hubitat nodeserver and got error:

Plugin Install of Hubitat failed with message:udx:
/rest/pg3.install.ns returned error status 500

(Peeve - this error message is one of those popup boxes that the text cannot be copied from, and once the mouse move away, it disappears)

However, I do see from UD Admin - slot 6 configure Hubitat with fields for things like user id, base url, password, port, etc.  Almost like it is working?

Watched all the youtube housepanel tutorials from the author https://www.youtube.com/@kenontube Ken Washington

Tried to browse to localpolisyip:3080 (default port for housepanel/hubitat node server) also tried localpolisyip:9100 (the port listed in the slot 6 config menu)

Nothing.

I am stumped.  

With hindsight, I should have noticed that this plugin had last activity 4 years ago.  I see no easy way to contact Ken Washington, only one or two users.  I am not angry about the seemingly wasted $20, but more annoyed about the wasted time.

I am pessimistic about my getting this plugin to work. I hope to be shown to be wrong.

Again, I use and enjoy my ISY devices every day.

Perhaps ISY could remove inactive/abandoned plugins from the plugin store.  AND allow error message texts to be electronically copied, not just manually transcribed.

/rant off

I still continue to appreciate the ISY team and community support.

@whywork if the plugin has been abandoned you might want to submit a support ticket with UD and see if they can assist either with setup or refund (and possibly pulling from the production store if truly abandoned and “broken”).

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

Additionally, usually any pop up errors would have a similar error in the PG3 or Plugin log packages. Might be wise to download those. I believe all log files are flushed at midnight so you might need to delete and reinstall to generate the error again. Otherwise, ask support how to download past log files to see if they can find the error message.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @whywork

First, thanks for giving this a try. I use it every day so I am confident I can help you get this working. My apologies for a delayed response - I'm not that active on the Forum but the nodeserver is still supported.

For starters, you can ignore everything having to do with the HousePanel app itself unless you also want to use the GUI to control your devices. For the nodeserver that connects Hubitat to the ISY ecosystem, all you need is the HousePanel.groovy file installed and some settings properly set up in the nodeserver config screen.

Let's start with the HousePanel.groovy file. To install this use the HPM package manager or the usual manual steps. If you do it manually, be sure to activate OAUTH. Once you have it installed, proceed to install an instance of the app in the "Apps" section of Hubitat as usual using the "+Add user app" button. Here is where you select the devices you want to expose to the ISY ecosystem via the nodeserver. Pick just the one's you plan to use. The only tricky thing is to in parallel open a Log window before you hit Done. This will display the Access Token and EndPoint values as shown in the attached. You'll use these values when setting up the nodeserver on the Polyglot install page under config.

Once you get this going, your Hubitat devices will show up in your ISY and Polisy account. I have an EISY box so I can't tell you what this looks like on a Polisy Pro. 

I'll stop there and wait for your response. I will help you get this going. Sorry about the troubles. The only reason there isn't much activity is once someone has Hubitat they are unlikely to switch to ISY. I realized this when I saw a lack of interest in the node server. With that said, I use and it does work. 

access.png

Okay, so I got into my Polyglot account after a reboot, so now I can give you a little bit more help.

After you install HousePanel.groovy and make note of the AccessToken and Hub Endpoint values in the Hubitat logs, you are ready to configure the node server in the Polyglot interact. Launch Polyglot on port :3000 as usual and double click into the Hubitat node server settings. From there select the "Configuration" button shown in the two rows of buttons beneath the title. You will see something that looks like this:

image.thumb.png.1dc25e0e6052af22b48287d964ce49c3.png

This is where you enter the values you captured in the Log file display when you installed HousePanel.groovy. The restPort value is used to send updates from Hubitat to the NodeServer. The value here must equal or be in the range of values given in the HousePanel.groovy install setup.

After you do this, you will see the devices show up in the node server. It takes about 5 minutes so be patient. You can also click on the "Log" button to see the devices load in real time. Once they are all loaded, you will see a little blue box pop up saying they were all loaded. At this point, the devices in Hubitat will show up as nodes in the EISY or Polisy Pro devices and you can see them in the UDX Mobile app. This gives you the ability to integrate Hubitat into ISY programs and other logic.

If you want to also use the HousePanel GUI, you have more setup work to do. I'll reserve this for a future post.

One last comment - I saw your note about this topic / node server being dormant for 4 years. That can't be correct. I was actively developing and socializing this one year ago and then got busy with a new job. Not sure where you got the 4 years from. I'll work on monitoring the forum more often, but I know it was not 4 years. Maybe 9 months, which is still bad, but better than 4 years. 

Let me know if you get it working, and if not, how I can help.

Hi,

Thank you for your gracious response to my somewhat cranky post.

The information you provided is helpful in moving forward, but I remain stuck.  I have not been able to get my Hubitat (192.168.1.197) to communicate with my Polisy (192.168.1.194) (both have reserved/fixed IP addresses)

On my Hubitat, I used Hubitat Package Manager to install HousePanel.  Then added HousePanel to Hubitat via user app. 

Chose my three Hubitat devices I want exposed - two zigbee light bulbs and the group of the two light bulbs.  Opened HUB Actions log file (not obvious which log activity to watch) and hit done to adding app.  This is the only log information I received from that action.

app:9062024-05-16 01:11:28.885 PMinfostate changes will not be posted to HP because no server IP was provided

Went to the newly visible Hubitat HousePanel Version: 3.2.5 and then settings (gear) and saw some information including  things I understand

my three device names

accessToken xxxxxxxxxxxx

endpt    String    http://192.168.1.197/apps/api/906  (ip of my Hubitat)

but no port??

but also things I did not understand

directIP String 192.168.4.4
directIP2 String 0
directIP3 String 0
directPort String 8560

????  this ip is not in my subnet

I went to Polisy PGx3 (192.168.1.194) nodeserver HousePanel.  (I get an error message every time I try to install - but it seems to be running)

Current Status: Disconnected
Current Version: 1.0.10 [Production]
Time Started: May 16, 2024, 1:21:39 PM
Uptime: 23 minutes

I go to Configuration for HousePanel nodeserver (disconnected)

and enter 

accessToken xxxxxxxxx

hubEndpt http://192.168.1.197/apps/api/906

restPort 9100   (?????? why this port?  - is this for Hubitat or Polisy???  if I browse to my POLISY http://192.168.1.194:9100 if everything is working should I see housepanel?)

I save and restart Housepanel nodeserver and watch the  Housepanel nodeserver logs Real-time Hubitat log file - EMPTY - nothing. Restart again.  Real-time Hubitat log file EMPTY - and Housepanel still "running" but "disconnected"

If I look at PGx3 Real-time Polyglot log file I see stuff related to HousePanel Hubitat

16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] debug: MQTT Results: [frontend/system/admin] :: {"getStoreEntry":{"id":151,"uuid":"e015d267-f9b8-4fbf-ab47-ea28c5f5830f","name":"Hubitat","version":null,"status":"active","desc":"Hubitat Node Server \nThis node server reads most device types that Hubitat supports and presents them to ISY in an appropriate format. Hints and other features are included that make this an ideal back-end tool for the HousePanel GUI, which is the most flexible GUI available for smart home devices.","docs":"https://housepanel.net","url":null,"branch":null,"language":"python3","executable":"poly.py","install":"install.sh","developer":"ken@kenw.com","nsdata":null,"oauth":null,"purchaseOptions":"[{\"recurringPeriod\":\"month\",\"price\":0,\"recurring\":1,\"edition\":\"Free\",\"id\":\"1ddc0b68-331a-4d53-94f5-d6bb95d58a71\",\"isTrial\":true,\"version\":\"1.0.10\",\"branch\":\"\",\"url\":\"https://housepanel.net/hubitat-1.0.10.zip\"},{\"price\":20,\"edition\":\"Standard\",\"id\":\"b670e70d-7d2c-4c84-97f5-0101e39f79c6\",\"isPerpetual\":true,\"version\":\"1.0.10\",\"branch\":\"\",\"url\":\"https://housepanel.net/hubitat-1.0.10.zip\"}]","author":"Ken Washington","devMode":null,"shortPoll":300,"longPoll":3600,"nsInfoPoll":0,"logLevel":"WARNING","logLevelList":null,"customParams":"{\n \"accessToken\":\"\",\n \"hubEndpt\":\"\",\n \"restPort\":\"9100\"\n}\n","persist_folder":null,"profile_version":"1.0.0","readme":"This node server is the result of more than 10 years of work on the HousePanel GUI. Over the last 6 months I worked on porting the interface to display ISY devices and as an outgrowth of that work I developed this node server that translates Hubitat native devices into ISY native data streams. Use of this node server requires the installation of the HousePanel.groovy app within the Hubitat IDE.","changelog":"1.09 adds music tiles and aqara presence types\n1.10 fixes a bug in the mode device type","store":"Production","discover":1,"authorize":0,"packageList":null,"ip_added":"209.215.18.131","ts_added":1688331436,"ts_updated":1688411261,"devd":null,"polisy":1,"eisy":1,"license":"https://housepanel.net/EULA.html","isyAccess":0,"devPath":null,"devUser":null,"fileUpload":0}} 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] debug: MQTT Results: [frontend/system/admin] :: {"getStoreEntry":{"id":151,"uuid":"e015d267-f9b8-4fbf-ab47-ea28c5f5830f","name":"Hubitat","version":null,"status":"active","desc":"Hubitat Node Server \nThis node server reads most device types that Hubitat supports and presents them to ISY in an appropriate format. Hints and other features are included that make this an ideal back-end tool for the HousePanel GUI, which is the most flexible GUI available for smart home devices.","docs":"https://housepanel.net","url":null,"branch":null,"language":"python3","executable":"poly.py","install":"install.sh","developer":"ken@kenw.com","nsdata":null,"oauth":null,"purchaseOptions":"[{\"recurringPeriod\":\"month\",\"price\":0,\"recurring\":1,\"edition\":\"Free\",\"id\":\"1ddc0b68-331a-4d53-94f5-d6bb95d58a71\",\"isTrial\":true,\"version\":\"1.0.10\",\"branch\":\"\",\"url\":\"https://housepanel.net/hubitat-1.0.10.zip\"},{\"price\":20,\"edition\":\"Standard\",\"id\":\"b670e70d-7d2c-4c84-97f5-0101e39f79c6\",\"isPerpetual\":true,\"version\":\"1.0.10\",\"branch\":\"\",\"url\":\"https://housepanel.net/hubitat-1.0.10.zip\"}]","author":"Ken Washington","devMode":null,"shortPoll":300,"longPoll":3600,"nsInfoPoll":0,"logLevel":"WARNING","logLevelList":null,"customParams":"{\n \"accessToken\":\"\",\n \"hubEndpt\":\"\",\n \"restPort\":\"9100\"\n}\n","persist_folder":null,"profile_version":"1.0.0","readme":"This node server is the result of more than 10 years of work on the HousePanel GUI. Over the last 6 months I worked on porting the interface to display ISY devices and as an outgrowth of that work I developed this node server that translates Hubitat native devices into ISY native data streams. Use of this node server requires the installation of the HousePanel.groovy app within the Hubitat IDE.","changelog":"1.09 adds music tiles and aqara presence types\n1.10 fixes a bug in the mode device type","store":"Production","discover":1,"authorize":0,"packageList":null,"ip_added":"209.215.18.131","ts_added":1688331436,"ts_updated":1688411261,"devd":null,"polisy":1,"eisy":1,"license":"https://housepanel.net/EULA.html","isyAccess":0,"devPath":null,"devUser":null,"fileUpload":0}} 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] debug: MQTT Message processed from topic udi/pg3/frontend/system/admin to group frontend for admin 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] info: Received commands on topic udi/pg3/frontend/ns/admin: getCustom 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] info: [00:0d:b9:53:36:9c_6] Retrieved customparams 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] warn: Request for customparamsdoc. Not found in database 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] warn: Request for customtypedparams. Not found in database 16/05/2024, 10:51:31 [pg3] warn: Request for customtypeddata. Not found in database

So I have configured Hubitat and Polisy.  Hubitat nodeserver on Polisy seems to be running - but disconnected with some error messages.

I have moved forward but still remain stuck.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you

I think there is a problem with my install of Hubitat nodeserver on my Polisy.

Hubitat node server generates NO log, no log window, and just a popup error message that disappears quickly, saying something about /var/logfile does not exist.

In the past I have re-installed Hubitat nodeserver on my Polisy to try to correct the install error messages from the first install a week or so ago. (not really sure how to uninstall/delete a node server)

Attached are the original log files captured around the time of the first install of Hubitat nodeserver on polyglot pgx3 from a week or so ago.

I have not investigated them, but they might have clues.

system_4-29-2024_82015_AM.zip pg3_4-29-2024_82003_AM.zip

Okay - first of all, I admire your tenacity. Thanks for staying with it. Sorry about my slow responses, but I've been traveling a lot for work. Anyway, I think the problem is you need to specify the IP address of your Polisy box in your HousePanel install for the link to happen. You get to this using the "App Settings" button near the bottom. This will then show 3 IP/Port settings which allow you to support up to three separate instances of the NodeServer. One of these has to match your Nodeserver install.

image.thumb.png.1fa3a7e058b6fa7df5b611ed252016e3.png

For example, the Host IP for you should be:  192.168.1.194
If you don't set it, you will get the default which is my IP like your debug shows above. This value is the same as DirectIP.

This can be just the IP numbers or you can use http://192.168.1.194  -  both work.

And the Port or Range can be: 9100-9105

I use the range so that I can install multiple Nodeservers for testing, but you can probably do fine with just 9100. Just be sure to enter whatever value you specify in the restPort configuration settings on your Nodeserver install page.

You can ignore the 2nd and 3rd Host IP and Port settings. 

Back on the Polisy Nodeserver side, be sure to put the accessToken and hubEndPt values in that you showed above. And for the Port, enter 9100. You can use any port number here that is available as long as it matches the value you give in the HousePanel setup on the Hubitat side.

Ping me again if this doesn't get you going.

One more thing, on the Hubitat side in the HousePanel setup, on the same screen where you specify Host IP and Port values, this is where you turn on Logs. You were not seeing logs because they were probably disabled. I should fix that and make Info the default. For now, select the drop-down box and pick Info or Debug as the IDE Live Logging level and you'll start to get statements in the logs. I'd start with Debug and then back off to Info later.

Hi,

Thanks for the follow-up.  I have made some suggested changes, but still remain 192.168.1.194 Polisy/Hubitat/PGx3/nodeserver "disconnected"

FYI - about logging/logs

I turned on 192.168.1.197 Hubitat HousePanel logging and now see logfiles

BUT -  192.168.1.194 Polisy/Hubitat/PGx3/nodeserver -  I can't see any log files - when under Polyglot V3 Hubitat click on LOG Real-time Hubitat log file -  Nothing - restqart Polisy Hubitat node server - NO log file

Real-time Hubitat log file

Scroll to BottomDownload LogDownload Log PackageDebugInfoWarningErrorCritical
 AutoScroll

Scroll to Top

So to recap - after cold boot of Polisy device and Hubitat device, and waiting 5 minutes 

Configurations

Hubitat 192.168.1.197 device:

Hubitat HousePanel

webSocketHost text 192.168.1.194

webSocketPort text 9100

accessToken String xxxxxx

directIP    String    192.168.1.194

directPort String 9100

Polisy 192.168.1.194 device:

Polisy/Hubitat/PGx3/nodeserver

accessToken xxxxxxx

restPort 9100

LOGS

Hubitat 192.168.1.197 Device

app:9062024-05-20 04:46:26.311 PMinfostate changes will be posted to HP at IP: 192.168.1.194:9100

app:9062024-05-20 04:46:26.267 PMinfoHubitat Local EndPoint = http://192.168.1.197/apps/api/906

app:9062024-05-20 04:46:26.264 PMinfoAccess Token = xxxxxxx

Polisy 192.168.1.194 Device

NO Logs - Real-time Hubitat log file -  Nothing

Status

Hubitat(6)
Current Status: Disconnected
Current Version: 1.0.10 [Production]
Time Started: May 20, 2024, 5:22:10 PM
Uptime: 29 minutes

I remain stumped.

Any suggestions?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, whywork said:

LOGS

Hubitat 192.168.1.197 Device

app:9062024-05-20 04:46:26.311 PMinfostate changes will be posted to HP at IP: 192.168.1.194:9100

app:9062024-05-20 04:46:26.267 PMinfoHubitat Local EndPoint = http://192.168.1.197/apps/api/906

app:9062024-05-20 04:46:26.264 PMinfoAccess Token = xxxxxxx

This is a good sign. These settings look correct on the Hubitat HousePanel side of things. 😀

2 hours ago, whywork said:

Polisy 192.168.1.194 device:

Polisy/Hubitat/PGx3/nodeserver

accessToken xxxxxxx

restPort 9100

This also looks correct for the settings on the Polisy NodeServer side of the house. 😀

On the Details tab, after you pick Log, change the right side from "Info" to "Debug", then click on "Restart" and you should see a bunch of log messages go by. Let me know what they say.

One more Important thing...

I updated the Nodeserver to the development version 1.0.15 that I have been using, since it has been rock solid. That most likely will solve your problem. Please reinstall the Nodeserver into your existing slot and try again.

Edited by kewashi
Updated Nodeserver

Hi,

Again thanks for your help.  I tried reinstalling Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver as you suggested.  No Joy. (I did get the always present error message saying the install of Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver FAILED.

I am not sure I am communicating what I am experiencing on my Polisy - I think the Hubitat nodeserver is not installed/working correctly.  Two reasons listed below.

1) I always get an error message from day one, saying my install of Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver FAILED.  While it seems to be running, every install gives me one of those annoying popups that disappear saying something that vanishes almost immediately, telling me some message to the effect that install has FAILED.

2)  Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver NEVER shows any log files.  I click on the log button, the window changes, but only shows the image below

Real-time Hubitat log file

But NO LOG information  - Blank, not even a data window is created

As an example of a nodeserver (Yolink) that is working for me "data window" - see below

Real-time YoLink log file

AutoScroll

2024-05-20 23:14:01,722 Thread-7 udi_interface ERROR yoLink_init_V3:connect_to_broker: Exception - connect_to_broker: timed out
2024-05-20 23:14:03,726 Thread-7 udi_interface INFO yoLink_init_V3:connect_to_broker: Connecting to broker...
2024-05-20 23:14:03,727 Thread-7 udi_interface DEBUG yoLink_init_V3:request_new_token: yoAccess Token exists : True
2024-05-20 23:14:03,728 Thread-7 udi_interface INFO yoLink_init_V3:connect_to_broker: Retrieving YoLink API info
2024-05-20 23:14:03,729 Thread-7 udi_interface DEBUG yoLink_init_V3:retrieve_device_list: retrieve_device_list
2024-05-20 23:14:04,242 Thread-7 udi_interface ERROR yoLink_init_V3:retrieve_device_list: Exception - retrieve_device_list : 'devices'

The Hubitat Device logs show nothing other than what I posted previously.

I keep thinking that the Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver, while showing valid configuration settings, is not really installed correctly.

What are the FreeBSD packages dependencies for Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver?

Thanks

1 hour ago, whywork said:

I keep thinking that the Polisy Hubitat Nodeserver, while showing valid configuration settings, is not really installed correctly.

You are correct - the node server is not getting installed properly on your Polisy. I am not aware of any special requirements other than Python 3 as with other node servers. The requirements.txt file lists all of the required modules in Python as follows:

udi_interface >= 3.0.8
json
requests
re
io
http
threading
copy

It could be that you have to do some manual Python setup but I didn't do that on my EISY box. I wish I had a Polisy so I could confirm that it works on that platform, but I don't. Let me do some poking around to see if I did anything special. There are a few others users of the Node server but I think they are all using EISY so the problem you are having might be specific to Polisy. I'll be in touch.

Thanks again for your patience.

Hi,

In this post above https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/43492-my-experience-with-hubitathousepanel-nodeserver-in-2024/#comment-383412

I uploaded some 2 zipped overall logfiles from Polyglot/Polisy (not hubitat nodeserver specific) that were recorded around the time I first tried to install Polisy Hubitat nodeserver - they include explicit lines mentioning hubitat nodeserver.

FYI - sudo pkg python3  - returns with you have the latest version of phython3 already installed.

Hi,

Magic happened.  Its working.

After your note about new version yesterday, I reinstalled Polisy/Hubitat/Nodeserver and rebooted everything. Thought I was up to date.

This AM I got a "message" from PGx3 that a new version of Polisy/Hubitat/Nodeserver was available. OK thought I had done that.

I re-reinstalled Polisy/Hubitat/Nodeserver and magically "CONNNECTED" appeared on the Polisy Hubitat nodeserver.

Current Version: 1.0.2 [Production] - seems like something got fixed.

Still no Real-time Hubitat log file.

But I now see six Hubitat nodes/devices that include the lights I want to control.

Now lets see if I can make stuff happen to those lights.

Thanks for your help